Review: Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE for Sprint
The Victory's 4-inch LCD is among the first from Samsung to disappoint me. The resolution is OK at 800 x 480, but it's not nearly as bright and colorful as the Super AMOLED screens on higher-end Samsung devices. With the brightness set all the way up it looked decent, but this comes at the cost of battery life. The pixel density is enough that I'm not cringing, but you can easily pick out individual pixels when you hold the phone close. Outdoor visibility is non-existent.
The Victory performs on par with other Sprint devices tested in the metro NYC region. In most places, it was able to connect to Sprint's CDMA 3G network and hold on. It showed two bars in my office, which is typical, and dropped to zero bars in my basement (also typical). The Victory was unable to surf the web or make calls with it showed zero bars of coverage. If there was even one bar available, it didn't have any problems making calls or using the web. In the strongest signal areas, I noticed faster browsing speeds and no problems with making/receiving calls.
Due to the limited footprint of Sprint's LTE 4G network (it is only available in about 20 markets, many of which are small), we were unable to test the Victory's performance on LTE.
AD article continues below...
Voice calls were pretty good, but definitely short of excellent. About 75% of calls were clear and free of static, but the remaining 25% suffered from drop-outs and clipping. The volume of the earpiece speaker rates 4 out of 5 stars in my book. It's good for most situations, but it won't be loud enough in the noisiest places. I'd give the speakerphone the exact same ratings as the earpiece in terms of quality and volume: OK, and not quite loud enough. I didn't have any problem hearing the ringers or feeling the vibrate alert, though.
Keeping in mind that we were unable to test the Victory under LTE 4G coverage, the phone did well. If you don't mind keeping the auto-brightness on (or setting the brightness at 50% or less) you should be able to get through an entire day with no problems. But if you're interested in actually seeing what's on the screen from time-to-time and keep the brightness set to 75% or higher, you might notice the Victory doesn't survive much past dinner time.
Hands-On: Samsung Galaxy Victory
Sprint's latest Samsung device is the Galaxy Victory. This $99 Android phone offers a lot for its low price, including 4G LTE, NFC, Google Wallet, and Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
LTE Comes To Virgin, Boost
Feb 25, 2013
Sprint today announced the first LTE 4G phones for its prepaid brands, Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile. Boost will get the all-new Force, made by ZTE, as well as the HTC One SV, already offered by MetroPCS.
Galaxy Victory a Low-Cost LTE Phone for Sprint
Sep 13, 2012
Sprint and Samsung today announced the Galaxy Victory, a $99 smartphone that supports Sprint's LTE 4G network. The Victory, a slab-style device, boasts a 4.0-inch display and a dual-core 1.2GHz processor.
FreedomPop Adds Three LTE Samsung Phones to Lineup
May 22, 2014
FreedomPop today expanded its smartphone roster to include several high-end Samsung handsets. Beginning today, FreedomPop customers can choose from the Samsung Galaxy Victory, Galaxy S4, and Galaxy S III to access LTE service.
Sprint Pushing Jelly Bean to Galaxy Victory 4G
Apr 11, 2013
Sprint today announced that Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is ready for the Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE. The system software, which can be downloaded and installed over the air, adds Google Now, Android Beam, Project Butter, actionable notifications, and Swype, as well as giving Google Maps indoor walking directions and Zagat ratings.