First Impressions of the 7280
I managed to grab one of the first 7280's here in Switzerland - two days before christmas.
Here are some of my impressions:
- The Audio capabilities are really not extensive. It's the usual Voice dialling known ever since legendary 8210 - you assign a certain "voice sound" to a name in your address book. Only news is, you can now also assign a few menu functions of the phone to sound commands as well. Not really groundbreaking, is it...?
- short messaging works surprisingly well! The smart text input is REALLY helpful, especially in long words.
- The little details are the killer - at least in this very first software version. Scrolling through names in the address book is terribly slow - sometimes with a three second time lag!! This gets even worse when you have written an SMS: When you want to address it to a known contact, there's No way to jump to a letter inside your address book. Means for an SMS to "Tom Jones", You'd have to scroll from A to T (or reverse from Z), with only 4 names showing on the display, and a scrolling time lag of several seconds. this can take MINUTES!
- Not stable yet: I had to send in my phone on Friday after a total software crash. I was trying to go to google via GPRS, and after the crash couldn't even turn the phone back on - a short flash of the desplay was all I got. No way to reset, no way to take out the battery... => the shop sent it in for repair! (it was the second crash in only two weeks of use. The first, furtunaltely, was minor)
- One thing you really underestimate... I haven't used this phone ONE single time without someone around going "WOW, what ist that???"... That's really the one reason to buy this phone - anyone looking to usability or future phone evolution should look elsewhere ;-)
Hope these impressions were interesting to you!