Phone Scoop

printed November 21, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=18&fi=2226051

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

Back to message list

Top message:  Cost of tethering on Verizon? by decairns   Nov 3, 2009, 5:39 PM

Replying to:  Re: Cost of tethering on Verizon? by PACWEST   Nov 26, 2009, 1:59 PM

Re: Cost of tethering on Verizon?

by Azeron    Nov 26, 2009, 2:28 PM

If one has a Rev. A phone and tethers it is no slower than a Rev. A data card. The advantage to using a data card as a consumer is that it frees up your phone for voice calls. That is pretty much it to me and I hate the idea of signing a contract just for a data card. I'd rather have a second phone (and I do XV-6900 with WinMo 6.1 so it IS Rev. A). Now the cost of adding the feature to a normal phone is $59.99. The cost of adding the feature to a smarthphone/PDA depends on the data plan. Your total data is always going to end up $59.99. If one has the Email and Web $29.99 then tethering is $30. If one has the Unlimited PDA/Blackberry $44.99 then tethering is $15. There are a lucky few who were able to stick the $15 feature on their $29.99 plan. What actually happened was Data in the past was $44.99 for all phones. When Verizon started offering the $29.99 data plan initially some reps swapped customers over to it and LEFT them on the $15 tether option. Verizon fixed that by matching the tether to the data plan. Consumers beware. Most sales reps are going to try to talk you into adding the modem rather than the feature as it is a new activation for them. What you really need to ask yourself is how often will you be tethering. If it is a great deal then you may need to add the modem because you can't make calls on your phone while tethering. But it IS a contract required unless you are willing to fork out $200 plus for full retail (or buy a used one off ebay) and go month to month.

Report to moderator

Replies

No replies to this message

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.