Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Ericsson CTO himself said 3G didn't live up to it's true promise, are you going to question him too?

Jayshmay

Oct 25, 2009, 12:02 AM
Here is a quote from an industry expert, someone who knows more than BOTH you and me, who said that 3G didn't live up to it's potential, here's the quoted paragraph, plus the link to the whole article, it's Ericsson's CTO, he makes mention of the "true promise of 3G", implying that 3G never did live up to it's potential, and now that LTE & WiMAX are nearly here, or in WiMAX's case already in some cities, 3G has essentially reached the end of it's days WITHOUT living up to it's POTENTIAL,don't you remember reading articles about 7.2/14.4mbps and so on that 3G is capable of "theoretically", well, here we are 9wks away from 2010, 4G is being deployed, and 3G NEVER did live up to it's POTENTIAL:

"If we did have more bandwidth, he said, weââ‚...
(continues)
MrGoofball

Oct 26, 2009, 3:33 PM
You keep spamming Clear is so good crap every where I'm gonna start reporting you for spam same as I do to the people saying you can buy an iphone or a n97 super cheap.
Jayshmay

Oct 26, 2009, 9:40 PM
First and foremost, my post was HONEST !!AND!!
UNBIASTED. UNBIASTED so much so that I didn't single out Clear, but included Verizon. If it were biasted, I would have only made mention of or showed favortism toward one company, which I didn't do.

My post was also FACTUAL, I included a quote from a CTO from a leading company in networking equipment, Ericsson, and a link to back it up.

So it appears to me as though YOU are not honest enough to agree with a CTO of a leading networking company Ericsson. The FACT is, 3G did NOT reach it's potential.

And as a CONSUMER cause that's what I am, not a fanboy who has singed his soul over to a wirless company, I believe that when a company uses the word broadband they put themselves in the same...
(continues)
Kagehiru

Oct 27, 2009, 6:53 PM
That really isn't anything new. Most technologies do not live up to their theoretical promise. The bandwidth statement he made is already being made w/ regards to 4G technologies, so something old is new again.
Jayshmay

Oct 27, 2009, 7:50 PM
What you said about the bandwidth statement about 3G already happening with 4G is true, I've gotten 14mbps quite a few times on my Clear WiMAX connection, and the fastest speed in the 2wks I've had the service is 15.5mbps, of course these aren't average speeds.

I know the industry standard for the definition of broadband speeds is 768kbps or so. But as a consumer, when I hear the word broadband, I think of the speeds that come from cable companies, and 3G speeds aren't comparable to cable company speeds, but 4G most certainly is, so that's why I consider 4G true broabdand speeds, because they're comparable to cable speeds, and on some occasions even better.

Thank you for responding without being rude, bias, or a fanboy. Phone Scoop is ...
(continues)
Kagehiru

Oct 28, 2009, 12:19 AM
No worries. I find your love of Clear a bit over the top, but if the service is all that and a bucket of chicken wings, no harm no foul. 😎 The definition of broadband these days is too low by far, but you mention your experience with cable speeds. Where I live, depending upon what parts of town you live in, cable speeds often drop to that or lower. I hope that when the FCC releases their national broadband plan there can be some consistency in delivery speeds and maybe even some real broadband development and competition among regional/local providers.
Jayshmay

Oct 28, 2009, 1:02 AM
The reason I like Clear so much is because I have been waiting for a service like this for a long time. To say the least, the 3G speeds from ATT have been very, very dissapointing, both the speeds and the 5gb data limit prohibit watching online video.
As Clear's network continues to expand, their prices & speeds will force cable companies to be more competitive, it's just a matter of time before their customer base builds and they become a threat to cable companies internet. They also offer home telephone service. So they are definetly a competitive force. There are people like myself who like the wireless element, and there are also people who will buy into Clear's services just out of spite because they don't like their local cable compan...
(continues)
Kagehiru

Oct 28, 2009, 9:42 AM
I can see where you're coming from, I feel the same way about LTE. Sprint/Clear do not serve my area of the US, but Verizon does, and eventually, so will AT&T. I liked what WiMax had to offer, but LTE is what will be here first. Either way, I think that until fiber hits every home, it's wireless technologies that will be paving the way for the next generation Net.
Jayshmay

Oct 28, 2009, 10:02 AM
What part of the country do you live in?
Clear is expanding rapidly. It's hard to say, but they did say they intend to cover 100 million in population by the end of next year.
Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath for ATT to deploy LTE, they certainly don't seem to be in a rush to even deploy HSPA+.

One thing I like about Clear's 4G compared to Verizon is I have NO contract with Clear, I own my usb modem, it was only $50. Where as I betcha Verizon will have contracts. I hate contracts with a passion. Whatever happened to earning a customer? People shouldn't be binded to a business. I haven't been under contract with ATT for 4yrs.

So do you live near a city?
Kagehiru

Oct 28, 2009, 10:24 AM
I live in Montana, an area that has been underserved by most carriers. The surrounding states don't fair much better. I don't look for Clear to make it out here anytime soon, or LTE, for that matter. LTE will make it out here first, though, I have no doubt. Clear has to be able to show a very solid rollout and potential for profits to keep their investors happy, and rural deployment won't be part of that plan for years.

I agree with you on AT&T's stance on LTE, though I think their network issues of the last couple years my have forced them to reconsider just how long before the make the switch. Frankly, I think they're dropping the ball by not moving to a more globalized 4G standard, especially in the wake of all their marketing tha...
(continues)
Jayshmay

Oct 28, 2009, 10:40 AM
What do you mean that ATT dropped the ball by not choosing a global standard? LTE is pretty global?

So is WiMAX, which is already deployed in like 145 countries, that might be surprising, I've actually seen the map of all the countries that already have WiMAX on the internet.

Sidenote: Personally I'm not favorable to either LTE, or WiMAX, I just have Clear because it's here NOW, not next year, not 2011 or so. We're 8wks away from 2010 and I'm sick of waiting, so I went for it and got what's available now.

Man, I feel for you about your whole rural situation. Do you even have 3G where you live? At least that?

I live in Las Vegas btw. I'm sure Las Vegas will be among Verizon's initial launch cities for 4G next year, not positive t...
(continues)
Kagehiru

Oct 28, 2009, 2:29 PM
Yeah, I have plenty of 3G where I'm at. We'have had it for years, but I'm big on competetion and I see 4G as an awesome opportunity to serve rural and infrastructure poor areas that most companies traditionaly do not serve- or at least, do not serve well.

LTE is global, and though it hasn't deployed yet, it is an agreed upon standard by a bevy of companies worldwide. Not to say the WiMax won't achieve the same level, or even more, but when the lines were starting to be drawn, most companies chose LTE. I think Clear's saving grace was Intel, quite frankly, and it could pay off for them very well. That's neither here nor there, though. Either way you swing, AT&T isn't moving to implement either technology anytime soon and I think tha...
(continues)
Jayshmay

Oct 29, 2009, 12:28 AM
What does "solid mesh networking capabilities" mean?
Kagehiru

Oct 30, 2009, 10:40 AM
Well, one of the issues you run into consistently when trying to rollout a WiFi network is topology. How do you get coverage to overlap and work around all the obstacles in your path, be it a building, wall, whatever. Setting up multiple pops will help get the job done, i.e. meshing, but current tech handled it pretty inefficiently. With WiMax, you have greater speeds coupled with more flexible and efficient routing and deployment methods, which allow you to "mesh" together a network to cover a greater area with a higher QoS.

That's a pretty lousy definition, but I think it gets my meaning across.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.