Phone Scoop

printed August 29, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=18&fi=2095435

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

Back to message list

Replying to:  BUSINESS plan for data card / cellular broadband w/out cap??? by toboboto   May 19, 2009, 12:36 PM

Re: BUSINESS plan for data card / cellular broadband w/out cap???

by jcsj6776    Jun 20, 2009, 8:25 PM

I know this is not a resolution to your question but I know why they cap data plans.

Cellular carrier cap it for Capacity issue. Just imagine all those data user, laptop, pda, and mobile web users and even calls made or recv connect 24hrs a day. It would overload their network.

For each call made via it being a call or a data connection it connects to the nears cell site which assigns you call/data channel, ok.

Now imagine hundreds or thousands connect to one cell site in the same area. Yes, capacity issue. Slow connection on your laptop, takes a long time to connect a call, missed calls, and etc. That's why some people get disconnect on a call while driving. That person was either driving to a cell site that was busier then normal. If you have ever had a cell phn in the late 90's each carrier was going thru their share of capacity issues and these carriers didn't even have the amount of cust that they have today.

For carriers, to fix this issue they would have to add more capacity to cell site if it's not maxed out already like most freeway cell sites. Adding capacity is easier then Building a new cell site because of location. Not everyone wants a cell site in their back yard nor will a carrier ever build one for one complaining customer.

Sorry for rambling on. My opinion is that they charge the same for less so they can make more money when you go over your allowance. Now, I don't know which carrier started this cap but monkey see monkey do. All about money.

Report to moderator

Replies

No replies to this message

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.