Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 51 replies

Am I stuck?

andy2373

Jun 7, 2009, 7:30 PM
I've got a ATT data card, 2 year contract of course. Use it with my laptop at work. Work has moved me to where I no longer get 3G coverage. Can I cancel my service without an ETF?
andy2373

Jun 9, 2009, 12:22 PM
Called ATT and explained to them the situation and they said I'd still have to pay an ETF if I canceled my account. Their reason was because my service used to work and now due to a obstruction it's not their fault I don't get 3G coverage anymore. ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
So they said they'll send someone out to the address to do a signal survey, lot a good it'll do.
Then try again in 30 days, still no coverage call back, and again at 60 days. Then they might cancel my service without an ETF. But for now there basically ripping me off for another $120. ๐Ÿ˜ก
mist668

Jun 14, 2009, 10:23 AM
You should know better.

An example would be if I pulled out a car loan, drove the car for 6 months and wrecked it am I still liable to pay for the rest of the amount open on the car? You bet I am. Its not att's fault.
AVANESS

Jun 15, 2009, 1:45 PM
ABSOLUTLY, If you ever have an hour to kill you should read the terms and conditions of a wireless provider. That will let you know evrything they will not be at fault for
negri

Sep 7, 2010, 1:35 AM
ya its true it'nt fault:-)
visit us at: [url=http://negrielectronics.com]htc mytouch[/url]
gadgethead

Jun 15, 2009, 3:24 PM
that's not even remotely close to the same situation, I really wish people would stop trying to compare cell phones to cars it doesn't carry over. It's more like buying a plane ticket and when the flight is canceled and the airline says sorry you paid for a ticket on that flight so you don't get a refund unless you fly with us once a month for 2 years.
The wireless industry in the US is one of the few industries that controls both the hardware devices and the network that they are used on. The auto industry controls the automobiles (hardware device) but has nothing to do with the roads (network). The wireless industry chose this route, they could have just sold minutes and had the customer get a phone to use on the network like when you bu...
(continues)
AVANESS

Jun 16, 2009, 12:22 PM
This is 100% correct. Well put
angrycustserv

Jun 20, 2009, 10:45 AM
you don't like being in a contract or having to follow terms and conditions? PAY FULL RETAIL FOR THE DEVICE OR STOP COMPLAINING.
Carriers offer in some cases more than $400 dollars off full retail (i.e. Black Berry Bold, Apple IPhone 3GS) with a two year contract so they don't lose thousands of dollars a year to stupid customers who don't pay attention to what they agree to. READ YOUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS
gadgethead

Jun 22, 2009, 4:43 PM
is this aimed at me? did you hear me complaining about discounts? how about you take some anger management classes before you end up with an aneurysm?
GraGG

Jun 20, 2009, 2:00 PM
you anology was worse, its not like he cant get on the internet there, its just not as fast as he'd like, plus he has had the card for a while, so in your anology he would have to already be on the plane in air before its flight was cancelled
gadgethead

Jun 22, 2009, 4:46 PM
you know you're wrong, right? the analogy was meant to show that the service provider controls the network and the phone, so no he could not have gotten to the INTERNET until he had the phone and and service, you need both. Unless you plan on hanging on to a strap on the outside of the airplane assuming you can get through security without paying for a ticket first.
GraGG

Jul 20, 2009, 5:43 PM
now you have no point and should just stop talking ๐Ÿคจ
gadgethead

Jul 22, 2009, 1:40 PM
I'm not actually talking, I can type without talking. You should try it, it would probably annoy the people around you a lot less.
Cellinovation

Jun 20, 2009, 6:16 PM
Ok the cell industry as a whole does have control of the phones. You are correct. However, they are controlled by different entities within the industry. The carriers had to purchase the phones for their customer and offer them at point of sale for 2 reasons.

1.) Because network settings, technology types, and complicated licensing agreements are too much for everyday customers to handle on their own. you think its bad now, what do you think would happen if customers went and bought their own phones (at full value) and found out they can't activate a GSM device on a CDMA network, or the phone they bought is not High speed data capable. They bought a phone ment for AWS spectrum and wanted to use it with a carrier that was PCS only....
(continues)
gadgethead

Jun 22, 2009, 4:54 PM
I agree on your first 2 points but then you lose me. Verizon in particular controls the manufacturers and what applications they allow on their phones and they don't pay me anything because I don't work in the cellular industry. And the competition of landlines isn't really a factor, you can't compare a 1940's console home radio to an iPod. The subsidy was created by the cellular industry to lure in customers and now they have to live with it and yes customers now expect the discounts. I work in customer support (different industry) and once a customer expects something that the "vendor" gives them then guess what you are stuck because no matter how much all of the pissed off cell phone checkout counter people piss and moan they are still th...
(continues)
Cellinovation

Jun 23, 2009, 2:30 PM
The competition of landlines originally was a factor in 1983 when the first commercially available cell phone was introduced. That is what I was trying to say. Now it isn't a factor, but they needed the subsidy to create their market.

I was not trying to compare a console radio to an IPOD. I was comparing the console radio to the first console TV. That was an easy beat, the advantages were obvious. The point I was creating was simply when Cell phones came out, there wasn't a market for them. Not even a need. Back then the only reason to have one was to be "cool" and hold a status symbol. The phones didn't even really work that well if at all.

I think the cellular companies are justified in almost all the fees and provisions...
(continues)
gadgethead

Jun 23, 2009, 3:45 PM
I wasn't arguing the fees, I was more pointing out that the discounts were started by the cell companies so now people expect them. And there really hasn't been anything introduced that people actually need since penicillin so every new gadget had the same issues. The only other industry that controls both the service and equipment is the airline industry and they aren't giving any discounts so the cell companies can't say that there is no business model that works without the discounts.
I won't argue with you about insurance, it's the biggest scam in history. We need insurance because health care cost so much, health care cost so much because doctors and hospitals can charge more to people that have insurance to make up for the losses whe...
(continues)
Cellinovation

Jun 23, 2009, 4:09 PM
I guess I have to appoligise then. I misunderstood about the fees and such.

I do maintain though that at the time Landline phones were a "social need" though not a life nessesity I agree. You are right people do expect the discounts now. As an industry the only chance we have at changing this is forcing customer to an LTE handset when they are available, and not discounting anything with LTE moving forward.

Hopefully one day the cell carriers will either wake up, and figure out how to control the handsets. As I said before Im all about that. Once they can get the handsets at "cost". Then we can loosen up policies, and still give discounts on handsets etc. we would then be more in line with standard business practices.
gadgethead

Jun 24, 2009, 9:05 AM
I can't wait for LTE, if I could get a really good Nokia phone for say $400.00. I could use it for 2 or 3 years and have no complaints. I would have no problem buying a phone for around $400.00 every 3 years, you pay that much for tires every 4 or 5 years I have a saltwater pool that has a converter cell that costs $500.00 and needs to be replaced every 5 years. It would be more than worth it to get a decent phone and have the freedom to use it the way I want to. The main reason we have so many crappy phones is that no one really has to answer for them. The carrier says "oh we don't make the phones you have to call the manufacturer" when in reality the users are insulated form the manufacturers by the provider. If the companies that make the...
(continues)
Cellinovation

Jun 25, 2009, 2:09 PM
you may be right. But even with the high price and subsidy, etc. We are seeing manufacturers having trouble being profitable. How would we keep all the handset manufacturers from going under?
gadgethead

Jun 26, 2009, 11:44 AM
You wouldn't keep them all from going under just as we didn't keep all the airlines form going under or all the car manufacturers from going under. You let consumers decide what they want in a phone and the companies that figure out how to do that and make a profit are the ones that stay in business.
Here's the thing, in the USA consumers have almost no say as to what functionality gets put in a phone the decisions are made by the carriers and then we have to pick from what they sell. This goes against capitalism, just like the airline, railroad and energy industries some will fall by the wayside when subsidies are removed but people want phones so some will survive and eventually make a profit.
xanadul14619

Jul 30, 2009, 10:39 AM
totally with you, i too work in sales, it is a binding contract people, basically what your all saying is that your going to sign closing papers for a house but 6 months down the road change your mind and just want to keep the house without the 30 year mortgage...exactly the same and its ridiculus, and some of these people even though you explain it to them try to argue it with you, sry but buyers are lyers and you guys are the bad guys for breaching contracts not verizon, again phones over seas are very expensive, and not many people would be able to afford service if it was that expensive without the contract, which it would have to be,....
jcsj6776

Jun 20, 2009, 7:41 PM
First how long have you been an AT&T customer. If you've been longer then 2yrs they should be able to waive the fee's for lack of service. You can ask for a Supervisor then, if there is not results with that Supervisor then, Ask for a manager. Truly a Supervisor is really a higher level Customer Care Rep. handling escalated calls and so when you goto a Manager then you get a Care rep Supervisor. Then if that does not work then ask for a Director.
Stress the point that you really like the services with AT&T However, its not fair to provide me with inadequate service. then, say you would the penalties waived. Also, stress the point with the PUC (Public Utility Commission. Added note: If you use your phone for business at home then stress th...
(continues)
mist668

Jun 21, 2009, 2:13 PM
Not seeing this clearly. You signed a contract. You moved to an area that does not have reception to use with your card. It is not ATT's fault that you moved nor have reception.
xanadul14619

Jul 30, 2009, 10:31 AM
so if i feel you right you want to go to europe and asia style buying a phone for 500+ every time you need one and having no contract? if u do the math as much as people break phones it evens out imo...
phyxlor

Aug 14, 2010, 11:26 AM
no its more like buying a plane ticket and then going to the wrong airport... they serve the airport you originally intended, its not thier fault you moved to the wrong airport they dont fly to.... now Southwest would help you out tho... ๐Ÿ˜‰
purokayoEVO

Aug 15, 2010, 6:07 PM
CAST AWAY ??? ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„
sinister

Aug 17, 2010, 1:53 PM
actually no...we don't control the hardware that you use on our network. if you hadn't noticed the phones might be branded at&t which would lead you to believe that it is a compatible phone with our network but we don't make the devices.

as a matter of fact for tech unsupported devices such as the iphone we only have a very limited tutorial database & then we have to direct you to the manufacturer.

so yes...it is exactly like taking out a car loan.

i don't think the individual was talking about the car in general as you assumed but was instead talking about the idea of taking out a car loan & that it is generally the same idea that if you wreck the car you still have to pay on the loan as it was a binding agreement just a cell phon...
(continues)
Dollgrin

Jul 20, 2009, 10:15 AM
I would like to go back to a point that someone else made - the problem with a lot of phones isn't that they're crappy phones. There are several problems BEFORE the problem is truely the phone.

1) Some people get phones they don't need/will use. Example: Someone who just wants to call, not use internet or text, wants to get a PDA. Or someone who wants all the bell and whistles gets a basic phone becuase it's cheap. They aren't crappy phones - they just have a device that's not going to work for them.

2) customer gets the phone they want, but not the appropriate plan resulting in functions that can't be used becuase they don't have internet, etc.

3)User Error, meaning they got a phone they don't know how to use and either no one show...
(continues)
xanadul14619

Jul 30, 2009, 10:41 AM
i personally think the lady living large off mc'ds for the spilled hot coffee is even better, i mean who would think you could even scam someone like that, but she did, and now shes rich and Mc'Ds has Caution hot on everything lol...so funny, i wish i could be that knieving
gadgethead

Jun 22, 2009, 5:14 PM
I really do feel for you, I bought this phone that the sales person told me was a great phone and had no issues or returns. Turns out it sucks and I am also stuck with a phone that works but raises my blood pressure every time I use it. I just had to poke some fun at all the phone reps that jump on customers every time they ask a question. People buy things and are unsatisfied with them all the time, some things you can return some you cannot. caveat emptor!
Cellinovation

Jun 23, 2009, 2:34 PM
If the phone was so bad, then whey didn't you take advantage of the return policy?
gadgethead

Jun 23, 2009, 3:37 PM
It worked fine for about 2 months, now I have to charge it every night, it locks up constantly and I have to pull the battery once every 2 weeks to get it 'unstuck'. for the first 2 months I got all my voice mails, charged it every 3 or 4 days, never had a lockup, the blue tooth headset did not randomly disconnect and reconnect when I was on a call, and when I locked the phone it would actually unlock when I tried to unlock it. I guess the voice mail issue is probably due to the service but I use visual voice mail so the phone should automatically go out and get the voice mail, I was calling my landscaper and yelling at him because he wouldn't return my calls then all of a sudden I got 3 weeks of voice mails in one day. But I guess this is p...
(continues)
Cellinovation

Jun 23, 2009, 3:46 PM
Actually, I don't think this sounds like your fault at all ๐Ÿ˜

Do you know that your phone is covered by a warantee from the manufacturer for 1 year?

As long as your phone has not been wet, or sevearly damaged everything you described sounds consistent with a phone that needs a warantee replacement. I would bring it in to your local corporate store (because most indirect agents can't service warantee after 30 days) and ask about a replacement.

BTW: Not all reps think that all customers are A-holes and time wasters. Customers do not know all their options all the time. That is why we are here. We are all supposed to be here to help and educate customers within the guidelines given by our companies. unfortunately some reps ...
(continues)
gadgethead

Jun 23, 2009, 3:52 PM
I have the total extended warrranty/insurance coverage but if I happen to not be in front of a store when it's malfunctioning I can't leave it in that state for hours until I get to one (can you tell I've gone through this with another phone before?). I could always smash it with a hammer and wait for them to mail me a new one but that would be even more frustrating. The phone I had problems with I actually returned 3 in 10 minutes one had a display problem, didn't get 3 feet from the customer service desk, 2 had no blue tooth, didn't get out of the parking space and 3 wouldn't charge, didn't get out of the parking lot.

Sorry about the A-hole comment, you are sadly very different for this site. I too work in customer service and know what...
(continues)
Cellinovation

Jun 23, 2009, 4:01 PM
You will find that I don't generally participate in most of the forums unless I really feel compeled to put in my two cents.
I read and most time shake my head. Sadly I am firewalled, and its this or pull out my Smart phone. you can only surf the internet on that so long before it starts to hurt your back.

Have you heard of the lemon law that was passed? After 3 or more replacements the carrier is required to (at your request) allow you to replace the phone with a different model. (there might be costs involved if the phone you choose is more than the one you bought) I would bring it to them, or call into their technical support department. If you describe what is happening, and if it seems to happen when something else is bein...
(continues)
xanadul14619

Jul 30, 2009, 10:44 AM
I too dont act like that if it werent for the customers i wouldnt have a job or the life i live, and i make sure to act in a way that reflects how appreciative i am, hes right you get a year man, take it back to a service location
snakpakdeuce

Jun 17, 2009, 11:55 AM
if you get no coverage at all, yes you can get it waived. if you do get coverage even if its not 3g, then hello etf.
mist668

Jun 21, 2009, 2:19 PM
Ok then I just put aluminum siding on my house with a nice fresh coat of lead paint. I want out etf whaa.
gadgethead

Jun 22, 2009, 4:55 PM
you should just lick it all off, sounds like it would improve you intelligence
mist668

Jun 24, 2009, 4:53 PM
Reading posts of people trying to get out etf free and them finding that they can't makes me more intelligent.
dualitycomplex

Jun 25, 2009, 9:29 PM
You shouldn't have to much of an issue getting out of the contract if there is no service in your area and this can be proven, I do this for customers on occassion, I have them bring in a utlity bill from the house they are now at a form of photo id and then I get on the phone and start working my magic on the cubical gnomes in customer care, of course if the customer comes in yelling and screaming about how i am "going to do this" well then thats a totaly differnt story they get a note on their account and a 1-800-number.
xanadul14619

Jul 30, 2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah.....isnt it interesting how if you keep pressing redial eventually youll get a gnome that has little people sex last night and will do whatever you want for the customer, its arrousing hahaha
xanadul14619

Jul 30, 2009, 10:45 AM
gadgethead said:
you should just lick it all off, sounds like it would improve you intelligence

wow lol....hes not the only one it could benefit
sinister

Aug 17, 2010, 2:03 PM
AAAAAAAAAAANnnnnd no, if you get no coverage again it CANNOT be waived. WHY? you ask...well when you started your contract you originated the contract in an area that had coverage & due to your inability to stay surplanted in one specific location, the fault does not lie with carrier but with the ADHD individual that feels the need to move.

the only time..with at&t that is...that you can get out of an etf is if you are being deployed to a non at&t coverage area or you're dead, not if you're a civilian & moving to a different area that might not have so great of a coverage area, again the fault in that situation would lie with the consumer as they started the originating contract in a good coverage area.
Amarantamin

Aug 17, 2010, 3:06 PM
Proving that you live in an area with NO coverage at all will get an ETF waiver with Sprint/Nextel.
StoreLead

Aug 19, 2010, 5:25 PM
When I was with the company, it was pretty hit and miss whether or not CS would waive the ETF due to being out of coverage. The biggest problem that I ran into was that the maps showed that they were within coverage, while they physically were not. In situations like that, there was no mercy.
serendair

Aug 19, 2010, 5:29 PM
Not CS' department, actually. That's Acct. Services aka "Retention/Cancellations". I was informed they're the only ones who can waive the ETF- AND it must be noted.
StoreLead

Aug 19, 2010, 5:31 PM
You're correct. ๐Ÿคญ

It's been 4 years since I was with the company, so my lingo has kinda gone off to the wayside.
GeeksAreBest

Nov 22, 2010, 9:03 AM
I don't know what dept. you work for, but I'm in business cancellations and I can guarantee, service or no...we're not going to waive. Back in Jan of 2010 the relocations team phased out their waiver options and now it's entirely up to my dept...but we don't have any sort of OK to waive. Not even the Supervisors.=\
janeli

Dec 15, 2010, 7:46 PM
sure?
Joby Dick

Dec 23, 2010, 7:40 PM
Why not?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.