http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=18&fi=2095376

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

Back to message list

Top message:  Am I stuck? by andy2373   Jun 7, 2009, 7:30 PM

Replying to:  Re: I am stuck...for now. by gadgethead   Jun 15, 2009, 3:24 PM

Re: I am stuck...for now.

by Cellinovation    Jun 20, 2009, 6:16 PM

Ok the cell industry as a whole does have control of the phones. You are correct. However, they are controlled by different entities within the industry. The carriers had to purchase the phones for their customer and offer them at point of sale for 2 reasons.

1.) Because network settings, technology types, and complicated licensing agreements are too much for everyday customers to handle on their own. you think its bad now, what do you think would happen if customers went and bought their own phones (at full value) and found out they can't activate a GSM device on a CDMA network, or the phone they bought is not High speed data capable. They bought a phone ment for AWS spectrum and wanted to use it with a carrier that was PCS only. We as reps would end up getting beaten by frustrated customers.

2.) cell companies had to create a demand and a market for their product. Its not like when TV started there was only radio as competition. its like apples and oranges. Landline phones already existed, people could communicate already. Let's face it cellular companies sell convenience. Therefore getting the phone had to be convenient too.

No cellular companies don't control the phone manufacturers. they still pay outragous costs for devices. They agree to sell the phone cheaper in exchange for a contract. (IE give away the razr to sell blades) This helped them create the market we have now that PAYS US ALL!

If a cell company ever created a phone manufacter to get at cost equipment and lower prices, everyone would be in an outrage. Personally I think if they were smart, they would do that and keep prices right where they are. Then everyone could really have something to complain about.

I do not blame the companies at all. One day maybe UNICEF will get into the cellular business, till then you know who to see.

The cellular phone companies advertise 2 year contract. This is not a hidden fact in the industry. It is the responsibility according to the law that anyone entering into a contract should read and fully understand all provisions within the agreement. The law also states that ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it.
Maybe we should move to no contract ever, and customers pay full price through the carrier. Simply as long as people in the United States blindly sign anything to get something for nothing, this will always be an issue that no one will ever solve.

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.