Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 7 replies

MEdia Net and Laptop

imdanerd

Jan 20, 2007, 9:32 PM
I am going to be purchasing a W810i soon for use with my MacBook Pro. I currently have a Motorola E815 on VZW and with unlocked bluetooth so I can use it for DUN.

I was wondering if I can do something like this with my W810i. I am ok with getting a MEdia Max package if this would allow me to get online unlimited and no airtime charges. I only really use this for work on weekends.

Any help would be great. Thanks so much
Crapbag

Jan 20, 2007, 10:23 PM
imdanerd said:
I am going to be purchasing a W810i soon for use with my MacBook Pro. I currently have a Motorola E815 on VZW and with unlocked bluetooth so I can use it for DUN.

I don't know what DUN is however i can tell you that with a sony W810i you would have to purchase a seperate program like Dreamcicle to use it with a mac unless your mac runs windows as well. The packaged software with the W810i is windows only.

If you are looking to use it as a external modem you should look into one of Cingulars 3G phones rather than one limited to Edge class 10 speeds. Granted this would only help you in a 3G enabled area.
imdanerd

Jan 20, 2007, 10:36 PM
DUN is Dial Up Netoworking.

Currently I use Verizon's just basic speed. Its not very fast, i bet pretty close to Edge. I am not terribly worried about speed. Just want to know if it works. And most 3G phones don't really care for mac.

I also want the W810 for use as a flash based ipod. I will use dreamsicle and probably a 4GB MS Pro Duo
Crapbag

Jan 20, 2007, 11:01 PM
It can be done with the right software. There is mention in the TOS however about using free night and weekends for Dial Up Networking along with some other "abusive" behavior. It would be a violation. A safer grey area would be using the media max ,like you had mentioned, and linking through that however once again i haven't ever tried. Laptop connect on your phone generally runs $59.99. Sorry i don't know more.
goodbyejack

Feb 7, 2007, 1:02 PM
I dont work for Verizion, but another cell phone company. I know that if a customer wants to use his/her phone to tether to a laptop to use to access the internet, the Media Max plans wont work. You would need a tethering package, which someone above mentioned. It is priced differently with each company. But, the real world "Internet" on your computer is different than the "Internet" on your phone are completley different. I do have to say that the w810i is an awesome phone. I think I read on your post about using the 810i as an ipod, like I said, i dont work with verizion, but our phone is not I-tunes compatable. Just mp3. Good luck to you!
Crapbag

Feb 7, 2007, 4:28 PM
goodbyejack said:
I think I read on your post about using the 810i as an ipod, like I said, i dont work with verizion, but our phone is not I-tunes compatable. Just mp3. Good luck to you!

I was told Dreamcycle allows you to convert and move Itunes music into your W810i. I know there other ways to do this but this particular software does convert for you.
goodbyejack

Feb 7, 2007, 4:31 PM
Thats awesome! I didnt even know that was possible. You learn something new all the time!
Phoneo

Mar 15, 2007, 6:35 PM
On cingular you will have to add the data connect for $59.99 a month as a feature to do the tether, the media max might work, but if it gets caught in an audit they will drop your media max package and put you on PPU.
Thus Screwing you royally

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.