Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

Using Razor as motem to my notebook

rasberryswirl

Jan 17, 2007, 3:42 PM
It wouuld save me $150 to use my Motorolla Razor as a motem to my notebook vs purchasing a card, but I have heard 2 years ago it was painfully slow to use this as my internet source. I am currently with T-Mobile. I would like some feedback before I purchase the $30-40 software from Motorolla to use my phone as a motem. Thanks
katrina

Jan 28, 2007, 1:43 PM
Unless its a Motorola V3t (the new black one) I wouldn't recommend it. The older RAZRs only use GPRS for data which is much slower than the new RAZR or the data card which both use EDGE for data.
The data card can theoretically be slightly faster than a phone, but realistically a phone with EDGE support will be about the same.
One thing to keep in mind though is, depending on the phone, you might not be able to recieve incoming calls while you are using the phone as a modem. Whether or not incoming calls should be allowed to come through is not part of the GSM standard so every phone may be different.
Of course using a data card on its own line will mean that you don't have to worry about that.
Using EDGE you can realistically expect to ...
(continues)
3g-g-g-unit

Feb 15, 2007, 11:10 AM
Oooooorrrrrr....

drop T-Mobile.

I have a V3xx (Cingular) tethered to my laptop running a constant 700kbps.
raycarroll70

Feb 15, 2007, 12:15 PM
Power up with Sprint by purchasing a Pantech PX-500 for free or a Novatel U720 for $49.99 after mail in rebate with a 2 year service agreement and get unlimited mobile internet service for $59.99 per month.
jjgreene

Feb 19, 2007, 12:22 AM
ummmmmm, why would you ever use any other technology besides GSM,

i'd say stick with GSM, but go with a pc card on cingy, i have the v3xx and a pc card, you will ge tmore consistent performance with a pc card.....

if you have a voice line with cingy it will run you 59.99/month for unlimited data, unless you get a discount through your employer, the pc cards have the ability to get 3.6 Mbps downloads...and the network will yield that to you as soon as cingy decides they want to turn it on....i recieved those speeds though in Orlando, FL for a couplpe days, i think they were just running tests on it though, because it dropped back down to 1.5 Mbps...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.