Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Laptop PC Card for Internet Access

rmmcneil

Jul 12, 2006, 11:25 PM
I'm looking to get an internet access PC card for my laptop. I'll be using the service in Atlanta and Chicago... so all the major carriers provide service. Just wanted to know what folks thought about these services (speed, reliability, connection, etc). I'm leaning towards Tmobile since they have the best plan price (50/month unlimited). Anyone have experience with Tmobile?

Thanks for the help!
chainsaw

Jul 13, 2006, 4:44 PM
Great price. Slow speeds. Go with Cingular, Verizon or Sprint. All of them have highspeed networks. As far as reliability in those areas i have no idea. I would talk to others that use the service. I am biased towards cingular considering thats who I work for. We offer 59.99 unlimited plan.
granteezie

Jul 14, 2006, 3:54 PM
VZW offers the same plan.
katman_blue

Jul 20, 2006, 9:46 PM
Only with a VZW voice plan is your price 59.99, and the same applies with Sprint (at least in my market). I'm not sure about Cingular because I do not sell them anymore. If you're mostly concerned about speed and less concerned about price I would say go with Sprint. Sprint has had their 3G network longer than Cingular and its more than likely more developed than Cingulars, and Verizon recently announced that their unlimited plan is not really unlimited. After 5GB of downloads per month your service will be shut off. Granted, they do claim "Verizon states the amount of usage to reach 5 gigs per month would equate to 10 hours a day of usage 7 days per week. In other words they don't want dedicated 24 wireless video feeds and other contin...
(continues)
liquifiedgr00ve

Jul 21, 2006, 12:13 AM
actually the unlimited data plan is 44.99 when added to a voice plan. And even less than that if you get them bundled together. voice and data bundles start at 79.99 with a 450 min plan. But of course none of that matters since we are talking about air cards here. Its 59.99 when used on an air card. And Atlanta is an EVDO coverage area which means with verizon you get wireless broadband which blows cingular data away, but still not as good as sprint
chainsaw

Jul 21, 2006, 5:21 PM
EVDO and UMTS speeds are the same in our market. So I guess they are blowing eachother
liquifiedgr00ve

Jul 21, 2006, 6:53 PM
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
chainsaw

Jul 21, 2006, 7:18 PM
Yeah I know its funny. I thought the verizon cards would be a lot faster. well, actually they are about the same speeds side by side in our store.
Data_King

Jul 25, 2006, 12:02 AM
The main difference and long term advantage for EVDO vs UMTS/HSDPA is that EVDO is a dedicated data channel. With Verizon and Cingular being the two largest carriers this is an important distinction. As more and more cingular customer make phone calls thier shared voice and data channel gives priority to the phone calls and limits data speed to accomidate the voice. On the Verizon EVDO, the data has a dedicated channel so there is no impact on data speeds when voice calls are being made.

Also UMTS/HSDPA is available in far fewer places than Verizon EVDO. Verizon also has the ability to move between their broadband network and their 1X (2G) network without dropping your data session. This sounds like no big deal until you have to re...
(continues)
nextel18

Jul 19, 2006, 6:24 PM
Stay away from Tmobile. I would pick either Cingular, Sprint or Verizon.

Pay $10s or so more and get the better plan/coverage/speed.
ANS Mule

Jul 21, 2006, 7:23 PM
Really man, I'll be honest, I work for Cingulars ANS department, and have been a Tmobile customer sence the voicestream days and theyre great. If youre not going to be moving around and what not. Cause Tmobile has a bit less in coverage than Cingular, then go with them, cause its the same GSM GPRS network technology.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.