all discussions

show all 10 replies

Cingular leaks UMTS launch plans

saxon

Oct 15, 2005, 11:01 PM
Carrier prepping 18 markets for Nov. 1 launch

By Dan Meyer
Oct 14, 2005

Cingular Wireless L.L.C. appears set to make good on its claims to launch high-speed UMTS/HSDPA services in more than a dozen markets by the end of the year. The carrier released initial UMTS/HSDPA launch plans on an internal Web site that shows the carrier preparing to cover 18 markets with the high-speed network beginning Nov. 1. The markets covered in the initial launch plans include Dallas, Houston and Austin, Texas; Chicago; Detroit; Baltimore; Boston; Washington, D.C.; Atlanta; Las Vegas; Phoenix; Portland, Ore.; Salt Lake City; San Diego, San Francisco and San Jose, Calif.; and Seattle and Tacoma, Wash.

http://rcrnews.com/news.cms?newsId=24497 »
Jayshmay

Oct 17, 2005, 7:33 AM
VERY EXCITING NEWS! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
nextel18

Nov 2, 2005, 10:21 AM
well, obviously that didnt happen... lol...
danielson

Nov 2, 2005, 3:27 PM
hahaha! somebody was wrong!..
nextel18

Nov 2, 2005, 3:30 PM
lol yep.. 🤣 🤣
mohlin

Nov 2, 2005, 8:54 PM
service is testing in downtown SLC. Said it would be ready by December first.
southwestcomm

Nov 3, 2005, 7:33 PM
Sprint's EVDO is up and running....
saxon

Nov 7, 2005, 12:54 AM
southwestcomm said:
Sprint's EVDO is up and running....

oh yeah? well the car parked across the street from me is blue.

😕
Vox Dei

Nov 3, 2005, 7:47 PM
They may have launched it but didn't launch the phones that use it 😛 That would be a cingular thing to do.
MoPhones

Nov 16, 2005, 11:46 AM
This is old new. What I think is particularly amuzing is that when cingular bought AT&T wireless, not even the trainers for Cingular had heard of UMTS, much less HSDPA. The former AT&T wireless had been testing UMTS in atleast 5 of the listed markets for better than a year before Cingular took over the project. I might add that they are doing extremely well and the debut of the network should be really encouraging.
JSK

Nov 26, 2005, 12:57 AM
As far as I can tell, UMTS rolled out in 16 cities on the 18th of Nov. I just picked-up a new Sierra AirCard and tried it in Chicago. Download speed are great - upload is poor. First impressions are good. The card is HSDMP ready once the network catches up.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.