Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 10 replies

tethering...

sentry04

Feb 7, 2005, 3:34 PM
is there a way to trick the carriers and use a phone as a modem for a laptop or pda and circumvent the exuberant charges for net access, specifically GSM EDGE, or how do they know whether any net connection is tethered or just plain WAP directly from the phone??/ basically cingular offers unlimited Internet express access for $20- yet unlimited data access is $80, there must be a way people... there must be a way....
a99tandem

Jul 6, 2005, 11:24 AM
as long as you connect using the WAP.CINGULAR apn and WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM username.. you should be safe. Data card connec through isp.cingular, so it knows what to charge.
zjc2a

Jul 31, 2005, 5:47 PM
I finally decided to put the time and setup my phone as my modem for powerbook. My questions is if you go through AOL using dial up connection am I charged for data or minutes used? It dosen't seem to be working yet, it gives me the error message must subscribe to GPRS service, I have wireless internet package.
If that does charge data I can get unlimited the WAP unlimited package and do as mentioned in the previous post. but then how come it is CingularGPRS.com and not CingularEDGE.com????
Thanks,

-Z
zjc2a

Jul 31, 2005, 6:49 PM
I did a bandwidth test on my connection and I am only getting a 33.3 speed. This sounds more like GPRS speed and not EDGE speed. I live in an EDGE area and my phone is the nokia 6230. Why is it so slow?

Thanks,

zjc2a said:
I finally decided to put the time and setup my phone as my modem for powerbook. My questions is if you go through AOL using dial up connection am I charged for data or minutes used? It dosen't seem to be working yet, it gives me the error message must subscribe to GPRS service, I have wireless internet package.
If that does charge data I can get unlimited the WAP unlimited package and do as mentioned in the previous post. but then how come it is CingularGPRS.com and not CingularEDGE.
(continues)
Vox Dei

Aug 3, 2005, 3:36 PM
Who are you connecting to? If you are connecting using your AOL dial up number then you are not using EDGE you are using a dial up modem (probably a 56k) and using your cellphone as a band dial up line and are using your minutes (this . If you connect through Cingular using a data package (the unlimited WAP is not for tethering and you will be charged per kb you use). You should be getting around 100kb/s or so depending on your signal strength.
pcrisp07

Aug 1, 2005, 4:20 PM
zjc2a said:
If that does charge data I can get unlimited the WAP unlimited package and do as mentioned in the previous post. but then how come it is CingularGPRS.com and not CingularEDGE.com????
Thanks,

-Z

EDGE is GPRS, its just an upgraded version with faster speeds, edge phones can connect to gprs or edge towers.
Wireless Consultant

Aug 3, 2005, 11:40 AM
I heard Cingular will allow you to tether but you need to pay extra for the data usage. $79.99 for unlimited and they have lower packages you can sign up for.

www.wirelessconsultant.net
Vox Dei

Aug 3, 2005, 3:40 PM
Each carrier does this different so you cannot trick them. Some carriers ask you to connect to a different site for tethering than wap...The problem is if you connect to the WAP site then all the HTTP ports are blocked so you can get online but you cannot access anything. The other way carriers sometimes do it is monitor which ports you are using from your phone. So when you access HTTP ports and FTP ports and basicly anything but a WAP port then you are charged data instead of WAP...Can you cannot access WAP ports using a regular web browser. Unless you are a hacker and very good with computer code I don't know of any way around this.
zjc2a

Aug 4, 2005, 10:02 PM
Vox Dei said:
Each carrier does this different so you cannot trick them. Some carriers ask you to connect to a different site for tethering than wap...The problem is if you connect to the WAP site then all the HTTP ports are blocked so you can get online but you cannot access anything. The other way carriers sometimes do it is monitor which ports you are using from your phone. So when you access HTTP ports and FTP ports and basicly anything but a WAP port then you are charged data instead of WAP...Can you cannot access WAP ports using a regular web browser.(what does that mean)?

Unless you are a hacker and very good with computer code I don't know of any way around this.

My billing cycle ended ...
(continues)
htjouster

Sep 24, 2005, 4:32 PM
as someone who worked as a sales rep for over 2 yrs, there is no difference in how you are charged in the unlimited media net vs. the unlimited data connect packages. Both plans allow unlimited data usage through your phone. The main difference is that there is an additional code (it was WIXD in care when I was there) that is required to allow you to connect through the http protocol than is needed to connect through your computer. The reason for the price difference is that cingular correctly figures that someone who plans on accessing wireless data directly through their phone is going to use much less transmission bandwidth than someone who uses the service to connect through their computer. Sales reps are just told that if someone in...
(continues)
ilovemusic21

Oct 2, 2005, 11:55 AM
Anybody happen to know how sending email works through Cingular? I'm trying to send email, but sometimes theMediaNet is staying connected even though nothing's being sent because I can't log on properly. Am I being charged? Which userid/pw should I use? I signed up on cingularme.com; is that the correct userid/password? Is email really cheaper than text messages? I mean, sending 1 kb is only 1 cent, right, and most txt msgs are only a few KBs.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.