Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Best Carrier/Device for Data Access

mbell77

Jun 13, 2007, 1:03 PM
OK I am looking for a PDA phone with good wireless high speed access. Size is an issue because I like to carry it in my pocket.

I have seen Sprint has good speeds, and am considering the Moto Q, but feel like the phone may be a little dated.

I heard that AT&T/Cingular has 3g now, will their internet speeds be as fast? I like that Samsung Blackjack.

Any other thoughts?

I am with Helio now, which I think uses the Sprint network, but no PDA phones.

Also, I'd like to use my phone as a modem on occasion. Does At&T allow this?
Grantizzle

Jun 14, 2007, 12:36 PM
vzw

verizon_insider

Jun 18, 2007, 11:23 AM
Verizon all the way!...they have the fastest higspeed data....more coverage around the US...and if get verizon....go with blackberry 8830 or XV6700...or wait till july when new pda's come out
just_asking

Jun 18, 2007, 7:23 PM
You want sprint if you use a lot of data. Verizon limits your use, no streaming allowed. Sprint is truly unlimited and you can stream audio/video. Sprint is also is faster right now. They are going to edvo rev A as we speak and building out wimax for the future. Also connection is 40 dollars unlimited to use phone as modem on a laptop and 15-25 for unlimited on device. Verizon is 60.00 for data use.
Cellfoneslinger

Jun 19, 2007, 6:53 PM
3g for Cingular is going to get you about 700k with peaks at 1.8mb per second. In the near future (by the end of the year) it will peak at 3.6mb and I guess average around 1.5-2mb. Here in Portland side by side pings have proved that 3g is slightly faster then EVDO. With the fact that all our air cards will support the next upgrade to the 3.5g network it seems like a better deal to me. Why buy something that will be outdated when you still have a year left in your contract. Just make sure there is 3g in your area and where you will be using the air card or device.
Eric Lee Elliott

Jul 11, 2007, 4:32 AM
Verizon limited 17 k bytes/S except on some partner systems up to 48 KB/S rarely. Got second Kyocera KPC650 card, still limited 17 KB/S out of EVDO areas. Switched to Cingular due to VZW taking 7 days to fix network problems twice.

Cingular usually 25 KB/S in boonies. 25 KB/S on partner systems. Worked in Everglades National Park where cell phones had no signal. Pleased with Cingular. Where VZW phones or Cingular phones had service, Sierra AC860 could do data.

ATT bought Cingular, now tech support not available, customer service lies, no help on partner systems, Communication Manager software fails in strong signal areas. May have to pay penalty to leave ATT b4 end of contract.

Could be better if you use phone for data, not d...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.