Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 12 replies

Wireless Card and Windows Vista (Cingular)

timslo

Mar 31, 2007, 12:11 PM
I have a question about customers who purchase a Cingular wireless internet card and installing the software to a laptop with Windows Vista. Are there any issues people need to know about before installing the software or will it work the same way as when installing to a computer with XP? Thanks in advance.
ralph_on_me

Mar 31, 2007, 12:34 PM
They'll need the newest version of the CCM software, which can be downloaded from Cingular.com.
timslo

Mar 31, 2007, 3:06 PM
Appreciate the help!
nextel18

Mar 31, 2007, 3:34 PM
All you have to do is download the Vista software download. I have both Vista and XP, I don’t have Cingular, and it was a seamless transition between the two operating systems.
ralph_on_me

Apr 4, 2007, 10:20 AM
Vista needed entirely new drivers written for all peripherals. When it was released, nothing worked but Microsoft products. That's anything but seamless.

CCM had to updated with the drivers for not only the laptop card, but for every cell phone that supports tethering, so it took awhile for the Vista compatible version to become available.
nextel18

Apr 4, 2007, 11:09 AM
Well when I had it a month before it came out and put all my older applications on there and my data cards, it worked fine. The only thing I needed to do was to go on the drivers of those companies and download the Vista update. For my laser printers and other peripherals, I did not need to do anything. Older Microsoft Office programs worked perfectly but I have Office Ultimate so I did not need for the older version.

I actually had no problem connecting my cell phones and PDAs to my laptops with Vista and I would connect through the Bluetooth channel.

So yes, my transition was seamless, and I have many computers including desktops and laptops that had to migrate from XP to Vista.

I have Vista Ultimate.
ralph_on_me

Apr 4, 2007, 1:07 PM
Everyone has Vista ultimate if they read enough forums. 🤣
nextel18

Apr 5, 2007, 1:48 PM
True.
DeepFryerDan

Apr 13, 2007, 4:09 PM
why would you want a cingular air card? nothing like dialup speed internet everywhere you go haha
jmac32here

Apr 15, 2007, 1:51 PM
Actually EDGE, which is currently the majority of Cingular's data coverage is between 2x-3x the speed of dial up. However the new 3G cards allow for are at or above DSL speeds, where as Sprint and Verizon's EVDO is near DSL. (At DSL if you are on the EVDO Rev. A) Not to mention that HSDPA, HSPUA and HSPA are easier to upgrade than EVDO, allowing the services to evolve faster. The only thing slowing the 3G develpoment is the fact that they have to build a whole new network to use it, WCDMA (no..not CDMA but a GSM equivilant that uses some of the CDMA technology along with the TDMA based technology...which allows a lot more users on it than either technology alone.)
MRDin

Jul 15, 2007, 1:12 AM
What do you think PC CARDS TYPE II: AC860, AC875, GT MAX, and GT MAX 3.6 ?

Im planning to sign up with Cingular Inernet access. My laptop is Windows Vista.

Do I need to download new software/driver for Vista?
nextel18

Apr 15, 2007, 4:11 PM
haha. I never said I would.
MRDin

Jul 15, 2007, 1:16 AM
Why you said that? do you have any sources?
Im planning to sign up with at&t internet

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.