Phone Scoop

printed July 28, 2015
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/discuss.php?fm=m&ff=6067&fh=2399554

Home  ›  News  ›

Symantec Wants Norton to Secure Your Phone

Article Comments  

all discussions

Now that...

muchdrama

May 27, 2010, 2:07 PM
...is pointless. Just something to bog down processors by running in the background.
...
famoussasjohn

May 27, 2010, 2:11 PM
and not even protect your phone Laughing
...
muchdrama

May 27, 2010, 2:12 PM
famoussasjohn said:
and not even protect your phone Laughing


There's nothing to protect your phone FROM...
...
famoussasjohn

May 27, 2010, 2:13 PM
exactly. but norton is garbage anyways and cant even protect your pc from virus's so how can they protect your phone when their main thing fails.
...
muchdrama

May 27, 2010, 2:15 PM
famoussasjohn said:
exactly. but norton is garbage anyways and cant even protect your pc from virus's so how can they protect your phone when their main thing fails.


I was using Norton 360 2.5 up until a few months ago when I installed Windows 7 and decided to use Microsoft Security Essentials--which is free & wonderful.

PS--Malwarebytes Antimalware caught stuff Norton didn't even notice.

PPS--Norton is total bloatware now.
...
Overmann

May 28, 2010, 10:54 AM
PPPS--Norton 2010 is rewritten ground up and is no longer bloaty, plus has highest scores for detection
PPPPS--MBAM is a dedicated Anti-Spyware app. Norton is a dedicated Antivirus. They are two separate things, and no Antivirus can keep you safe from the latest Antimalware.
PPPPPS--Mac Users claim they never get Viruses. Why does Notron and Trend Micro sell Internet Security Suites for MacOSX? I presume you learn the hard way when you encounter a stealth keylogger and your bank account or so gets hacked and drained.
...
tlgreene1021

May 28, 2010, 12:32 PM
Overmann said:
PPPPPS--Mac Users claim they never get Viruses. Why does Notron and Trend Micro sell Internet Security Suites for MacOSX? I presume you learn the hard way when you encounter a stealth keylogger and your bank account or so gets hacked and drained.



For the same reason they are making their antivirus software for smartphones...People are stupid enough to buy it. Wink
...
muchdrama

May 28, 2010, 5:14 PM
Overmann said:
PPPS--Norton 2010 is rewritten ground up and is no longer bloaty, plus has highest scores for detection
PPPPS--MBAM is a dedicated Anti-Spyware app. Norton is a dedicated Antivirus. They are two separate things, and no Antivirus can keep you safe from the latest Antimalware.
PPPPPS--Mac Users claim they never get Viruses. Why does Notron and Trend Micro sell Internet Security Suites for MacOSX? I presume you learn the hard way when you encounter a stealth keylogger and your bank account or so gets hacked and drained.


1) Norton 2010 is supposedly superior. But I had switched over to MSE beforehand, and I'm never going back.

2) It's a dedicated anti-spyware, yes, but its detection engine...
(continues)
...
Overmann

May 29, 2010, 9:17 AM
Now, if you want a Firewall, COMODO is the way to go. it is overly super powerful as a Firewall, and lets nothing through unless you let it. Unfortunately, as is the case with white/blacklist firewalls, it asks you if this or that can run and go online and such... every 5 seconds. It lets nothing pass without presenting you the option to allow or deny first. At least it remembers your decision for next time. But the first week is nothing but clicking dialogs lol
...
muchdrama

May 29, 2010, 11:52 PM
Overmann said:
Now, if you want a Firewall, COMODO is the way to go. it is overly super powerful as a Firewall, and lets nothing through unless you let it. Unfortunately, as is the case with white/blacklist firewalls, it asks you if this or that can run and go online and such... every 5 seconds. It lets nothing pass without presenting you the option to allow or deny first. At least it remembers your decision for next time. But the first week is nothing but clicking dialogs lol


I use my Windows 7 firewall. It gets the job done. And I'm a very careful surfer. I just make sure I run my security programs a few times a week.
...
Overmann

May 31, 2010, 9:21 AM
See, here is where you all can reduce 80% of the infections. Be more careful about where you go on the internets.
...
misschris

May 31, 2010, 12:18 PM
I used Avast on my laptop for over 2 years.

Now I have a new netbook, and it came with Norton, and I hate it.

Trying to decide if I want to do the free microsoft thing, or go back to Avast. Unfortunately, I think I was grandfathered into free avast without a product key every 90 days or whatever, and I don't know if I can do that on a different computer.

Any input/advice? I'm pretty good at cell phones, but when it comes to the computer I'm kind of an idiot. Laughing
...
muchdrama

May 31, 2010, 7:35 PM
misschris said:
I used Avast on my laptop for over 2 years.

Now I have a new netbook, and it came with Norton, and I hate it.

Trying to decide if I want to do the free microsoft thing, or go back to Avast. Unfortunately, I think I was grandfathered into free avast without a product key every 90 days or whatever, and I don't know if I can do that on a different computer.

Any input/advice? I'm pretty good at cell phones, but when it comes to the computer I'm kind of an idiot. Laughing


Avast is a great product. I used it for a few years. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials because it's good, free & uses hardly any resources at all.
...

This forum is closed.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

This forum is closed.


all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

 

All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.
2