BlackBerry to Cease Sales In Japan
What a lose :(
With Microsoft Window's 8, BlackBerry's BB 10, and Canonical Ubuntu phone are trying to innovate (in UI, price, design, security, apps etc) in someway to make them stand out in the crowd and grab the 3rd spot crown (hopefully they are shooting for the top but we have to be realistic here).
If we only have iOS/Mac OS X and Android/Chromium they OS will become scary similar and the differences will slowly erode away.
With the BlackBerry stopping sales in Japan, it is lessening competition for the Japanese people, which is never a good thing. Hopefully this move is only temporary until they build there shares up a bit more.
Hopefully the smartphone/shares even out and hopefully keep all 5 OS's around for competition. But I think once the market becomes saturated world wide we will have a BlackBerry, Windows, and Android race for 1st place with iOS fighting for 4th place with Ubuntu.
The reason I think iOS will fall to 4th is:
1) Apple market share is start to drop again
2) I think Apple will keep all devices premium prices
3) They will have a niche market share like it was before the iPhone launch
4) iOS is becoming old
For those reason I think iOS will eventually fall to 4th place.
The reason I see Windows, BlackBerry, and Android in a 3 man race for first are:
1) Android is open source, and Google has been taking cues from the developer community
2) Windows has the inertia from the PC market share with name which might help
3) BlackBerry is know for security, and I see that becoming a higher priority for consumers
4) Windows, and BlackBerry are trying to re-brand themselves in hopes to become relevant again (I believe they will be successful because they will innovate)
5) Google and Windows will advertise their platform but they will also have they OEM partners helping
6) Carriers are tired of the high premium iOS requires and they will push people to BlackBerry and Windows phones.
- Re: What a lose :( by HawkeyeOC
- Re: What a lose :( by DarkStar