Phone Scoop

printed September 2, 2015
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/discuss.php?fm=m&ff=1063&fh=166120

Home  ›  News  ›

Verizon Wireless Sued Over V710 Bluetooth Limitations

Article Comments  

all discussions

In disbelief

BigRob

Jan 17, 2005, 5:25 PM
I just can't believe people are here supporting Verizon. I remember when this phone came out they said you could connect it to your computer, and I wanted one myself. I think it's perfectly fine for people to assume that the bluetooth on this phone allowed for them to transfer files. There isn't anything telling you different about it. Verizon knew exactly what they were doing. They knew if they said it couldn't sync with you computer they wouldn't sell many of these handicapped phones. I'm sure not a single sales rep told anyone it dind't work. Verizon is finally getting what they deserved. I'm am canceling my account with them tonight and eating the ETF. I'm tired of there BS. I have a AWS/Cingular acciount and it gets me better reception ...
(continues)
...
lexical

Jan 17, 2005, 5:49 PM
About time... Just take the ETF and be done with it. I have VZW and Cingular, and I am just riding out my VZW contract. Yes, VZW said "connect to you computer", and yes those who know about BT expected OBEX profile support. Those who didn't were like "ooohh, wireless headset (and maybe tethering). Yes VZW puts too many blocks on their service (brew, BT, etc.) but hey, they do it for money. They are a business who provide an OPTIONAL service and they are trying to get as much scrilla (money for those regular folks) as possible. They cater to the guaranteed money (ie. developers), not the variable (customers). As a business man, I don't blame them, but as a customer, shame on you VZW. Remember the customer brings the money, but the busin...
(continues)
...
shadedpain4

Jan 17, 2005, 6:24 PM
BigRob said:
I think it's perfectly fine for people to assume that the bluetooth on this phone allowed for them to transfer files.


Anytime people rest on thier own assumptions they have no one to blame but themselves when they are incorrect.

It boggles my mind how much our society has devolved into a culture of no personal responsibility for our actions.
...
coldsteel

Jan 17, 2005, 6:31 PM
Agreed, shaded. Just remember what 'assume' means...
...
shadedpain4

Jan 17, 2005, 6:42 PM
Thanks cold.

What i can't figure out.... If you are the type of person that this particular bluetooth function is so important to you that you would sue VZW when the feature isnt there.... how in the world do you purchase the phone, have 15 days to test it out and make sure it does all you need it to do with the ability to get a *full refund* if it doesn't..... and you don't check this feature?

And after all this, it's Verizon Wireless' fault?

Huh?
...
VOLVORacr

Jan 17, 2005, 6:45 PM
Probably because they were told for 16 days by customer care that they are working on a fix. Then finally on the 17th day they were told it was disabled.

That's my bet!
...
jramossteel

Jan 17, 2005, 6:50 PM
Or it could be that they were not interested in that feature until after the fact... Come on now... How many of us in here work in the wireless industry, and have someone come up to you six months after getting a phone on how to use features?
...
phone tech

Jan 17, 2005, 11:52 PM
in that case thay didn't buy it for that feature and shouldn't care. that would be like buying a phone and a few months down the road noticeing it had voice dial but it didn't work with your voice and sueing for that.
In responce to VOLVORacr's post, if that was the case you could fight it in store and still receive the refund with out an ETF.
...
VOLVORacr

Jan 20, 2005, 6:04 PM
Good Luck!
...
BigRob

Jan 17, 2005, 6:53 PM
I understand, but, there is NOTHING in the history of bluetooth phones that make one believe it didn't have said capability. To be honest, I had no idea any one aspect of bluetooth coiuld be disabled. There was nothing saying it could happen. I thought all bluetooth was the same. Untill this phone that was pretty muchg common knowledge. Knowing that, the real problem here is that verizon never made ANY attempt to alert people that this isn't your typical bluetooth. That makes this suit very similar to the McDonalds coffee case. The fact that there was no attempt to tell the customer that the coffee was hot.
...
shadedpain4

Jan 17, 2005, 6:56 PM
BigRob said:
That makes this suit very similar to the McDonalds coffee case. The fact that there was no attempt to tell the customer that the coffee was hot.


Should they tell them that the phone could be effected by the laws of gravity if you let go of it? Is coffee being hot not common sense?
...
BigRob

Jan 17, 2005, 7:07 PM
Well that would make this a much strtonger case then. The fact that it's not common knowledge that they can disable parts of bluetooth makes it more obvious that they purposfully mislead people.
...
mikesgut

Jan 17, 2005, 8:46 PM
I'm not defending Verizon for misleading customers, but as a T-Mobile dealer, I have had experience with the BlackBerry 7100t. It has the same crippled OBEX file transfer. The difference is that they include a USB cable that does support OBEX to a PC and email that can transfer any file anywhere. No T-Mobile customers seem to care but maybe because it is explained to them before they purchase it. Yup, I just figured it out. That's the difference.
...
staiano

Jan 20, 2005, 6:19 PM
mikesgut said:
I'm not defending Verizon for misleading customers, but as a T-Mobile dealer, I have had experience with the BlackBerry 7100t. It has the same crippled OBEX file transfer. The difference is that they include a USB cable that does support OBEX to a PC and email that can transfer any file anywhere. No T-Mobile customers seem to care but maybe because it is explained to them before they purchase it. Yup, I just figured it out. That's the difference.

Totally, because going into a vwz store (as I did) and being told it would work (as I was) is misleading. As I have said on other posts I don't care if the person who told me was dumb or deceptive they still gave out bad info.

Now I didn't bu...
(continues)
...
SPCSVZWJeff

Jan 22, 2005, 6:53 PM
Or another thing that can happen is to get future dial software and the appropriate cable and transfer things via USB. Most phones can do that.
...
BigPhony

Jan 23, 2005, 3:49 AM
Try that with the CDM 9900 and all you'll get for your time and money is an utterly useless USB cable. Just one more bit of neutered technology that got in the way of Vzw's bottom line.
...
VOLVORacr

Jan 20, 2005, 6:06 PM
Not really, because unless you are on the moon. Any phone you let go of will drop.

No comparison.
...
muchdrama

Jan 17, 2005, 7:17 PM
BigRob said:
I just can't believe people are here supporting Verizon. I remember when this phone came out they said you could connect it to your computer, and I wanted one myself. I think it's perfectly fine for people to assume that the bluetooth on this phone allowed for them to transfer files. There isn't anything telling you different about it. Verizon knew exactly what they were doing. They knew if they said it couldn't sync with you computer they wouldn't sell many of these handicapped phones. I'm sure not a single sales rep told anyone it dind't work. Verizon is finally getting what they deserved. I'm am canceling my account with them tonight and eating the ETF. I'm tired of there BS. I have a AWS/Cingular acciount
...
(continues)
...
BigRob

Jan 17, 2005, 7:42 PM
Ha! You're a pathetic little loser. I never said anything about me buying the phone. As a matter of fact, i read the review here and found out it didn't have it either. The fact is you shouldn't have to research the internet. Verizon should have had it somewhere in writting. Which they didn't. Then they advertised it saying it could connect to your computer. Knowing they'd be misleading people bvy doing so. It's just bad buisness, and I'm out before they can find a way to screw me over too.

As for me joing the "bandwagon"

The reason I joined Verizon was because I liked the LG VX 6000. My friend had one and I fell in love. It's the only reason I joined, and i regret it whole heartedly
...
muchdrama

Jan 17, 2005, 10:22 PM
BigRob said:
Ha! You're a pathetic little loser. I never said anything about me buying the phone. As a matter of fact, i read the review here and found out it didn't have it either. The fact is you shouldn't have to research the internet. Verizon should have had it somewhere in writting. Which they didn't. Then they advertised it saying it could connect to your computer. Knowing they'd be misleading people bvy doing so. It's just bad buisness, and I'm out before they can find a way to screw me over too.

As for me joing the "bandwagon"

The reason I joined Verizon was because I liked the LG VX 6000. My friend had one and I fell in love. It's the only reason I joined, and i regret it whole heartedly
Two w...
(continues)
...
staiano

Jan 20, 2005, 6:21 PM
Until you ask a vzw employee that TELLS you it WILL work. Then buyer beware is baloney.
...
Zaniphan

Jan 20, 2005, 6:44 PM
while we are on legal matters, I dont mean to be a stickler, but vzw's contract states this quote, "You can’t rely on any other documents or statements on those subjects by any sales or service representatives, and you have no other rights with respect to service or this agreement, except as specifically provided by law." so, this null and voids that part of the debate. (geeze I hate corperate lawers)





"Help! Help! We're being Oppressed!"- Monty Python
...
coldsteel

Jan 20, 2005, 7:30 PM
Zaniphan said:
while we are on legal matters, I dont mean to be a stickler, but vzw's contract states this quote, "You can’t rely on any other documents or statements on those subjects by any sales or service representatives, and you have no other rights with respect to service or this agreement, except as specifically provided by law." so, this null and voids that part of the debate. (geeze I hate corperate lawers)



Yep, that lovely (no sarcasm intended) paragraph has been mentioned more than a few times. Like I said, the suit has zip merit. Laughing
...
slauttr

Jan 22, 2005, 11:12 AM
everyone here seem to be forgetting some minor details 1 what judge will they get and yes it does make a difference and 2 the right lawyer who can sell ice to an eskimo will prevail im betting verizon will bow down and open up the phone to file transfers which it should be capable of doing. why else would you hook it up to a PC, for internet service??? come on i can see that for a lap top yes but not a pc you know as well as i do everyone is looking for something free computer geeks included and no im not one i just spent 2 hours and 5 tec support people to get my 2 year old phone to get on mobile web tec support who dont know how to do there job i have to send you to the next level of support lmao good thing it was an 800 number with veri...
(continues)
...
muchdrama

Jan 22, 2005, 12:33 PM
slauttr said:
everyone here seem to be forgetting some minor details 1 what judge will they get and yes it does make a difference and 2 the right lawyer who can sell ice to an eskimo will prevail im betting verizon will bow down and open up the phone to file transfers which it should be capable of doing. why else would you hook it up to a PC, for internet service??? come on i can see that for a lap top yes but not a pc you know as well as i do everyone is looking for something free computer geeks included and no im not one i just spent 2 hours and 5 tec support people to get my 2 year old phone to get on mobile web tec support who dont know how to do there job i have to send you to the next level of support lmao good th
...
(continues)
...

This forum is closed.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

This forum is closed.


all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

 

All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.
2