Motorola to Slash Korea R&D Operations
Motorola has confirmed plans to reduce its global footprint even further by shuttering the bulk of its operations in Korea. The company plans to close a research and design facility there, as well as close down its mobile device marketing organization. In a statement provided to TheNextWeb, Motorola said, "The changes in Korea reflect our plans to consolidate our global R&D efforts to foster collaboration, and to focus more attention on markets where we are best positioned to compete effectively." Approximately 90% of the employees in those facilities will lose their jobs, while the remaining 10% will be offered relocation. Motorola will continue to operate its Home and iDEN business units in Korea, as well as its handset warranty service operations. Motorola, which is owned by Google, has been cutting jobs and consolidating its office locations as it restructures.
Verizon to Shutter Some Offices, Eliminate Jobs
Verizon has informed employees that it plans to reduce the number of regional offices around the country and correspondingly reduce headcount. The company has 20 regional locations, which it plans to pare down to just six.
Motorola's Chicago Office to Lose 500 Jobs
Motorola has revealed the depth of job cuts being made at its Chicago headquarters and they run quite deep. The firm will eliminate 500 positions, or about 25% of its staff, as its parent firm, Lenovo, restructures amidst weak sales.
Samsung to Slice 10% of Workforce at Korea Headquarters
Samsung is prepared to lay off as much as 10% of the employees at its headquarters in South Korea, says the Korea Economic Daily. The company is likely targeting employees in the human resources, public relations, and finance departments.
Lenovo to Slash 3,200 Jobs After Motorola Sales Slide
Lenovo today said it plans to reduce its headcount by as many as 3,200, or about 10%, as it looks to reduce expenses. The company reported earnings and said sales across its various business units dropped by 9% during the quarter.
BlackBerry Cutting More Jobs, Including Device Team
BlackBerry announced another round of job cuts on Friday, this time affecting those behind making the company's smartphones and mobile applications. BlackBerry did not say how many employees will lose their jobs, nor in which facilities, but said the cuts will reach its operations across the globe.