Phone Scoop

printed October 13, 2015
See this page online at:

Home  ›  News  ›

T-Mobile Moves 3G Network to 1900MHz in Las Vegas

Article Comments  12  

Sep 21, 2012, 1:09 PM   by Eric M. Zeman   @phonescooper

T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray today announced that the company has fully refarmed its 1900MHz spectrum in Las Vegas and launched HSPA+ service using that frequency in Sin City. Nationwide, T-Mobile USA uses 1700MHz AWS spectrum for its HSPA+ 3G/4G network and the 1900MHz PCS spectrum for its voice network and 2.5G data network. T-Mobile is in the process of refarming — or repurposing — its 1900MHz spectrum so that it can free up its 1700MHz spectrum for its forthcoming LTE 4G network. It will migrate the small percentage of its customers who still have 2.5G devices to newer hardware and continue to roll out HSPA+ service in the 1900MHz band, cutting off its 2.5G service. New York City, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. are next up for the spectrum switch. With respect to its LTE 4G network, Ray noted that the company will be able to offer two 10MHz channels to 90% of its top 25 markets. T-Mobile will begin deploying LTE 4G in 2013 and expects to complete the LTE roll out by the end of next year. Ray's comments were made at a conference being held in San Francisco.

more info at Fierce Wireless »
more info at GigaOm »



This forum is closed.

This forum is closed.


Sep 21, 2012, 2:47 PM

Hey Rich

I thought T-Mobile used 850 for edge and 1700 for 3g/4g? Which is why att devices usually only get edge on t-mobile networks? Because they both operate on 850 MHz for edge.
t-Mobile has both 850 / 1900 Mhz spectrum for the 2G (EDGE) network that they were using. at&t device only get 2G because they do not support WCDMA 1700. However, with the frequency refarming, any device that supports WCDMA 1900 in that specific are...

Sep 21, 2012, 1:59 PM

90% covered. Hmmm... What about the other 10% ?

What will T-Mobile do to cover that last ten percent? I wonder what markets this ten percent is composed of?
90% will be covered by two 10Mhz channels. The other areas will simply have less coverage.
5 Mhz channels.

Sep 21, 2012, 3:36 PM

AT&T roaming

So does this mean AT&T customers will finally be able to roam onto T-Mobiles HSPA? With 3G or AT&T's 4G speeds?
If t-mobile has a specific roaming agreement in that area with at&t and there is No or Weak at&t coverage (as in, the T-Mobile signal must be STRONGER than the at&t signal) then yes, you can roam on T-mobile's HSPA+ network.
Page  1  of 1

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram


All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.