Samsung SPH-A800 / MM-A800
I have used this overpriced phone and it seems like a cheap toy to me. [...]
Ed. note: Removed Sprint rant
not a happy camper!
I had high hopes for this phone based on some of the feedback I saw posted on other web sites, so I ran out to Best Buy and plunked down 5-large for this thing. I'm sorely dissapointed. Plenty of eye catching bells and whistles, but there are 2 show-stoppers for me with this phone:
1. Camera - as another reviewer pointed out, the software that runs the camera is hosed. It takes entirely too long to get the camera up and running and for it to take a single shot. Samsung went to great lengths to make this phone look and function like a higher end camera than a phone, but they simply blew it here.
2. No data sync - In a nutshell, you can't sync your desktop data with the supplied cable. I figured this would be a no brainer since Samsung has a free PClink application, but it doesn't work for this phone. Apparantly, the only function of the cable is to move pictures on/off the phone...in my opinion, another blunder by Samsung/Sprint.
If Sprint issues a fix to these problems before my 30-day Best Buy return clock runs out, I'll keep it; otherwise, it goes back.
WOW factor over - returning phone
You'll read all about the graet screen this phone has, the neat UI, and all the other cool kid-stuff; but when the rubber hits the road, this phone is a bust at $500. After an intense 48hr. run, I'm returning mine to Sprint for something else., Here's why:
- no speakerphone
- all pics are blurred in the same spot (lower right-hand corner). Has to be either a lens or software flaw.
- pics taken at max resolution look horrible, positively horrible when viewed full-size.
- sharing pics taken at max res. takes so long to uploiad through Sprint's network that it defeats the whole concept of camera phone spontaneity. Maybe a 2Mp camera will make sense on EV-DO, but not now.
- standard battery life is terrible under heavy data use -- less than 2-hours before I get a low batt. warning.
- phone ships with a USB cable but Sprint has no SW or driver to transfer/sync data.