My first week with the 7280
A few weeks back, I had dinner with a friend in NYC who had one of these--the first chance I had to see it live. Since it ran on Cingular, and I'm on ATTWireless--and I was willing to give up some functionality for style (I used to own a Samsung Matrix phone)--I hunted around on eBay until I found an unlocked one at a good price ($400). Here are my observations:
- I swapped my SIMcard in as soon as I got it; it powered up and functioned without incident--except for the web browser. Two thumbs up to the excellent help from Nokia tech support (Cingular did nothing) for getting me completely on line.
- Fairly comfortable to use; a little thick, but narrow profile goes into a pocket without much of a problem.
- Once you program the voicedaili...
This is DISGUSTING....
This phone is absolutely the most retarded and horrific thing that I have ever seen in the history of Nokia. Where are the buttons? What is this supposed to be? A glow in the dark light stick? Please Nokia, just give your life up.
Who's going to carry it?
I fear Cingular... but I really really hope T-Mobile. I would love to have this phone. It's so different and unique!
Come on T-Mobe!
Cellphone GIANT from Finland
Nokia (Finland) invented the cellphones,and always will be step or two ahead other brandnames. This phone speak for itselfs....
Interesting idea, removing traditional dialing options for voice dial, at the expense of original styling, but until Nokia(as well as all other manufacturers) create a better voice interface that is not only accurate but also fast, they're never going to sell a product like this.
Advertisements discussions continues below...
Hey guys, watch the Jlo Get Right Video, at around 44 seconds, she shows this phone! 🙂
JhausJan 10, 2005, 10:27 AM
First Impressions of the 7280
I managed to grab one of the first 7280's here in Switzerland - two days before christmas.
Here are some of my impressions:
- The Audio capabilities are really not extensive. It's the usual Voice dialling known ever since legendary 8210 - you assign a certain "voice sound" to a name in your address book. Only news is, you can now also assign a few menu functions of the phone to sound commands as well. Not really groundbreaking, is it...?
- short messaging works surprisingly well! The smart text input is REALLY helpful, especially in long words.
- The little details are the killer - at least in this very first software version. Scrolling through names in the address book is terribly slow - sometimes with a three second time l...
just rec"d 7280
phone is different
however, everything is in chinese (english manual supplied) but i have yet to find menu where it allows one to change language - it is there, it just will be fun finding it
isn't the point of text messaging so your not loud, or can do it in a quite place? hmm.. how would that work with VOICE dailing
not that new, really
this is only new to the usa... i've seen this on the brazilian and malaysian nokia sites weeks ago, probably over a month now that i think about it