Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

k800 use in the USA

peepers

Nov 3, 2006, 2:34 PM
hi,

i am in the USA and just got the Sony k800. i inserted my cingular SIM that works fine in my other phones. the problem is, in locations that i normally get service, i get no service and i get the EMERGENCY ONLY call option.

then, when i step outside, i get service. is there a frequency i do not get here on that phone? i got it because i wanted to use it for traveling internationally as well as here in the states, isnt it supposed to work everywhere here as well?

thanks,
pp
chainsaw

Nov 3, 2006, 3:21 PM
The k800 is a triband phone 900/1800/1900 mhz. Cingular uses to frequencies in the US. 850/1900 mhz. The 850mhz band that your phones does NOT have is primarily used for voice. The 1900 mhz is mostly for data. SE makes a model the k790a that has both the 850/1900 mhz model you should have purchased that model even though it is harder to find.
mrcamp

Nov 5, 2006, 2:12 PM
I agree, and it has been posted way too many times. If you are going to be using Cingular, make sure you get a phone that has both of the bands that cingular uses (850/1900). For tmobile you only need the 1900 band because they are primarily a 1900 carrier, and your phone would have been appropriate with tmobile. If you want to get excellent coverage internationally and with Cingular, then a quadband(850/900/1800/1900) phone is what you need.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.