Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Eventual Convergence to 2 Wireless Voice Standards

raycarroll70

Sep 16, 2006, 1:13 PM
Do you think people it'll come down to 2 wireless voice standards on a global basis? If you look at it now, GSM and CDMA seem to be the 2 primary ones for voice services. When it comes to data ones, it's an open market with EDGE, EVDO Rev 0 HSDPA/HSUPA having already been deployed with EVDO Rev A and WiMax coming down the pike.
chainsaw

Sep 16, 2006, 6:47 PM
I think eventually it will be 3g for voice service like it is in japan in metro markets and then just cdma/gsm for voice in more rural areas. I don't know if the cdma market will grow internationally considering the prevalence of gsm.
Wireless Consultant

Sep 18, 2006, 10:22 AM
raycarroll70 said:
Do you think people it'll come down to 2 wireless voice standards on a global basis? If you look at it now, GSM and CDMA seem to be the 2 primary ones for voice services. When it comes to data ones, it's an open market with EDGE, EVDO Rev 0 HSDPA/HSUPA having already been deployed with EVDO Rev A and WiMax coming down the pike.

I think in the near future we will have more phones with GSM and CDMA built in.
Verizon has a few models now and even has a PDA phone with GSM and CDMA (Samsung i830).
raycarroll70

Sep 18, 2006, 11:16 AM
Samsung had one for Sprint too, the A790, until it was discontinued. Worked on the GSM 900/1800 MHz overseas and 850/1900 MHz CDMA in North America.
LordOfPhoneScoop

Sep 20, 2006, 7:25 PM
But how does a CDMA phone operate on GSM without a SIM card?
raycarroll70

Sep 20, 2006, 8:44 PM
The Samsung A790 has both CDMA and GSM hardware in it. The GSM side of the handset operates on the IMEI and SSID(SIM card) when the customer is overseas and the ESN is used on the CDMA networks here in North America.
LordOfPhoneScoop

Sep 20, 2006, 8:54 PM
So does it come with a SIM card that can be removed or is permanently embedded in the phone because there is no need to remove it?
raycarroll70

Sep 20, 2006, 8:58 PM
The Samsung A790 comes with a removable SIM card.
LordOfPhoneScoop

Sep 20, 2006, 9:00 PM
I see. Thanks. I used to think the people calling in about this were nuts because I didn't know that they had SIM cards.
katrina

Dec 17, 2006, 6:01 PM
Some GSM phones do not use SIM cards, they are usually very tiny and I am not sure how it works to get it set up with service, but i've seen them in europe

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.