Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 9 replies

cingular in mexico

ascendingthrough

Sep 10, 2005, 8:45 PM
I am going to be living in Mexico from next June to december. I would like to have a cell phone while I'm down there going to school so I don't have to use my house family's phone all the time. Cingular has a north america plan that covers mexico but I haven't been able to find out the answers i need. What are the charges per minute in Mexico? Say Guadalajara where on the Cingular map there shows coverage. I was thinking of buying a cell phone down there but when i was down there last month a friend bought one using the prepaid cards and said it was about 50 cents (five pesos) a minute. I haven't looked more into cell phone companies in Mexico but I will be doing that soon finding out information from my friends down there. And if I d...
(continues)
Stu707

Sep 11, 2005, 1:32 AM
I don't know what Cingular charges for it North American plan. If your GSM phone is unlocked, you can buy a prepaid SIM card in Mexico and use it in your phone.

Here are a couple of links.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/messico.html »
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/travel/rferguson/rfce ... »
ascendingthrough

Sep 11, 2005, 7:02 PM
I've read about the sim cards, but the thing is, I don't want to have to pay for cingular's service, then pay for another cell phone company's service in mexico. IT wouldn't make sense paying for two plans at the same time.
bigchieftoiletpaper

Sep 12, 2005, 1:00 PM
well, you are surely not going to be able to use your minutes in the states as minues of your plan.

imagine when you roam into another companys servce area you are charged $1.50 a minute or more

cingular owns absolutely nothing in Mexico. you will not be able to use your plan minutes there.

the best option is like the guy up there said. Get your phone unlocked, and then buy a sim in Mexico.
ascendingthrough

Sep 13, 2005, 12:23 AM
I think i'll just stick with what i have for now, cancel it by the time i go down there, and buy a cell phone there. That's cheaper than paying for cingular and a sim card at the same time while living in mexico for seven months (A sim card and a seven month cingular bill just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me).
A cingular salesperson told me I could get the north america plan and use the phone down there. That's why i inquired here about buying a cingular phone for use in mexico.
mysystemsareupdating

Nov 17, 2005, 2:44 PM
cingular north america plans are expired and no longer aviable due to "fraud"
alejandro

Nov 18, 2005, 4:02 PM
cingular gives you diarrhea in mexico anyway, the water is just the red herring.
mikethaler

Sep 11, 2005, 10:02 PM
Cingular charges 79¢/min. to roam in Mexico. That includes calling back to the U.S. For some reason, prepaid cards there won't be much cheaper.
Best way to call U.S. is from a landline and using a phone card. Can't recall what that would cost. This would avoid charges on your host's phone. Phone cards are available all over when you get there.

An idea - do you know if your host has high-speed internet? If so, you could sign up w. a company like Vonage, Lingo etc. and take a U.S. phone number with you. In that case, making and receiving calls would be like being at home. All calls to/from U.S. would be incl the the monthly charge - about $25/mo. or less.
When you get there, just would need to plug in your little phon...
(continues)
Fenix1003

Sep 12, 2005, 11:34 AM
wow , thanx i would let all the Mexicans i know, know about this
doczaius

Nov 20, 2005, 2:05 AM
The North America plans have been discontinued. The only thing available is a mexico discounted roaming and long distance at .07c per minute + plan minutes. I believe the feature is 4.99/mo.

Toilet paper dude, your wrong. When the north america plan was offered, mexico was just like roaming in the states.. no additional charges.. your minutes there were the same as in the US and Canada.

And furthermore Cingular may not have any towers with their logo slapped on it in Mexico, but parent Company SBC does own 24.5% of TelMex... (thanks to SWBell) which allows for SBC to control how much they actually pay for roaming (on towers they in actuality partly own) in Mexico on TelMex's wholly owned subsidiary TelCel.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.