Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Cell Phone Service for a year in France

TravelersDad

Sep 5, 2008, 10:58 AM
My daughter had been given an opportunity to teach in France for the better part of the coming year. We have already arranged land-line options and are looking into how best to provide her with a cell phone. Based on discussions with two USA providers, it is clear that using them is not an option for such an extended stay. I'm wondering if anyone can offer any insight or any suggestions re "local" providers in France. Thank you
mdeggers

Sep 5, 2008, 12:30 PM
I know that the bulk of my customers who visit foreign countries usually opt to use pay as you go phones during their stay(or at least that's my recommendation). You might want to compare different post paid vs prepaid options.
att_tx

Sep 6, 2008, 11:28 PM
alot of europe in general does pre paid services. I was in Spain for 6 months and did a prepaid phone. You are never charged for incoming calls just calls you make. Orange is the big French provider...
Nadesico81

Sep 23, 2008, 2:53 AM
Orange or SFR is going to be your best bet a phone and sim will cost you about 20-30 Euros or so. Both mobile operators will work any where in the EU.
Saint.Patrick

Oct 17, 2008, 4:31 PM
Go with the largest European wireless carrier, Vodafone.
http://www.vodafone.com/hub_page.html »

There is a reason why Vodafone is one of the parent companies of Verizon Wireless here in the US.
MildManneredClarkGrunion

Oct 20, 2008, 10:57 AM
Carriers aren't locked into their own networks in Europe the way they are here in the states.
Saint.Patrick

Nov 14, 2008, 12:34 AM
The wireless sales model outside North America is very different than what is used here. Handsets are sold at full price over there simply because the incentive with an unlocked handset is for the various wireless carriers' products and services than the actual device.
ajlineman

Dec 1, 2008, 5:04 PM
So get an unlocked phone and take it with!
Nadesico81

Dec 17, 2008, 3:58 AM
Vodafone is NOT sold in France. I work for Vodafone in the UK. Yes they are the largest carrier. However in france the network that have ties to is SFR. However the network does not have near as much coverage as Orange.
Nadesico81

Dec 17, 2008, 4:00 AM
Saint.Patrick said:
The wireless sales model outside North America is very different than what is used here. Handsets are sold at full price over there simply because the incentive with an unlocked handset is for the various wireless carriers' products and services than the actual device.

Agine NO NO NO. Yes some are sold at full retail price. However Pay As you Go phones are sold really cheap. Maybe 20-30 Euros depending on the phone.

Most if not all contract phone are free on a 18 month contract.
ajlineman

Dec 18, 2008, 4:05 PM
I don't think Vodaphone is in France... am I wrong?
Nadesico81

Dec 19, 2008, 6:36 AM
Your right and wrong

Vodafone owns about half of a wireless network in France called SFR. They share almost identical branding besides the diffrence in name.

However in France their is NO Vodafone. But Vodafone like most networks have there hands into every thing.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.