Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

Can an unlocked GSM phone connect to Internet and Message?

Techrider85

Jul 15, 2008, 7:22 PM
I recently switched to at&t from sprint and I wanted the Sony w760i from a website and the rep told me if I did get one that was unlocked that I could not message or even get online. Is this true?
stevereyes1987

Jul 16, 2008, 9:46 AM
That is not true. An unlocked GSM phone will work just fine online and with MMS all you need to do is enter the internet and MMS settings, which a cingular locked phone has pre-installed. Good thing with SE is that you can get the settings sent to your phone if you visit the SE site. I use nothing but unlocked phones with att because they do not have any good phones.
tkboxer

Jul 17, 2008, 12:55 AM
That is also true for Nokia phones, the settings are easily obtained. If you can't find a phone you like from your provider a unlocked phone is a viable option.
Jayshmay

Jul 17, 2008, 1:37 AM
That rep was trying to force you into one of they're phones. I've been using an Unlocked/Unbranded Nokia N95-3 on ATT's network since December last year, when I put my sim card in the phone it automatically detected network settings, I don't know if unlocked phones that aren't Nokia do that though.
mrcamp

Jul 17, 2008, 5:33 PM
Another cluless rep! Just put the data settings on the phone and you are good to go.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.