Home  ›  Forums  ›

Tricked Out

all discussions

show all 17 replies

unbranding??

E-Z_Money

Mar 9, 2008, 4:13 PM
hey ive been hearing alot of about unbranding phones latly, and im still not really sure what all that entails;

what does unbranding do???

what happens to my phone???

what COULD happen to my phone (i.e. negative results)

what positive results are there?

what am i looking at as far as doing it??
E-Z_Money

Mar 15, 2008, 7:27 PM
bump
beeferjay

Mar 17, 2008, 4:34 PM
unlocking a phone.

The reasons to do it would be to take your phone to a different carrier, (from ATT to t-mo or vice versa)

or to roam overseas.

There is no other reason.

The unlock codes can only be obtained for free through you service provider.
Blumpelstiltskin

Mar 17, 2008, 5:07 PM
LIES!
beeferjay

Mar 17, 2008, 5:08 PM
dude, my phone online is $189. unlocked.

im getting the t-mo shadow like next month.

its hot
E-Z_Money

Mar 18, 2008, 1:25 PM
i know what unlocking a phone is but im talking about unbranding a phone it has to do with changing the firmware from my understanding

unlocking just means, like u said, the phone accepts difernt sim cards.

from what i understand unbranding has somthing to do with the actual firmware of the phone (i.e. perminant, erasable memorey like ur contacts, pictures and such)

when you unbrand the phone it changes that somhow and basically makes the phone like straight from the factory before the carrier has a chance to input their logos and certain restictions on the phone that their service cant provide.

at least thats what i think it means, but then again thats why i have this thread, i know what unlocking a phone is i do it all the time...
(continues)
beeferjay

Mar 18, 2008, 3:20 PM
the only people that can unbrand a phone, if its even possible, it the manufacturer.
E-Z_Money

Mar 18, 2008, 6:42 PM
ive heard of people (on this website even) who do it by downloading stuff
llama

Mar 19, 2008, 3:28 PM
yes, you can flash a handset with it's native software, if you have the proper equipmemnt & software.

Take a VZW Razr and flash to the Moto software.
tkboxer

Mar 30, 2008, 8:27 PM
You are correct in your understanding of unbranding.
Essentially, you are replacing the software on the phone that has been modified by your provider with the OEM software that is installed on a new unlocked phone. Example, a Nokia unlocked phone will only have software that Nokia put on it and no other, plus it will be fully functional in every respect. By contrast, a branded phone, say the same Nokia model from AT&T will have additional software from AT&T and may have some of the Nokia original software and features disabled. Also many branded phones do not allow the user to update the firmware from the manufacturer, which in effect would remove the branding. The following link will give you a starting point on the procedure. You will in ...
(continues)
I AM GOD

Mar 27, 2008, 7:19 PM
Unbranding is taking the CARRIERS software out of a phone. For example, unbranding a t-mob phone will remove myfaves software as well as t-zones, etc.
beeferjay

Apr 3, 2008, 5:44 PM
ok, drive down to ATC and have them do it for you.
I AM GOD

Apr 4, 2008, 12:24 PM
How about I do it at my house? If you don't know what you are talking about, please refrain from posting. 😉
beeferjay

Apr 4, 2008, 12:24 PM
ok
ihateeverything

Apr 15, 2008, 3:55 PM
😲
OfAMightDivine

Mar 27, 2008, 1:55 AM
I take the phone in one hand, and a sharp cheese grater in the other. Takes those brandings right off the phone!
I AM GOD

Mar 27, 2008, 7:24 PM
but att software really inhibits sony-ericsson phones. They work better with their software than att's.
motoguy75

Mar 30, 2008, 12:35 PM
unbranding the phone is to change the inherent software in the phone and changing it according to your service providers software as well as adding personal touches to the phone. Warning this is very tricky and there is not too many sites you could go to to get this info. For moto phones the best sites would be gsmhacks.com as well as motohacks.com if they are still up, pay attention to what you are doing because you can really mess up your phone.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.