Home  ›  Forums  ›

Development

all discussions

new android apps only for specific phones?

HzD incredible

Jul 4, 2011, 9:58 PM
Im just curious if anyone has a legit answer for why the new apps only release for specific device. I know that their are many different versions of android, but why would it not be across the board for all phones on a specific type of android. like when they came out with netflix for the incredible which runs 2.2 and the other on the list run 2.3, why would other phone that run 2.2 or 2.3 not be able to run netflix since linux is open source why would it not work across all the phones on the same android version. I also realize they are all alittle bit different but the software verison beig the same should work. why not?
IrishCarBomb

Jul 5, 2011, 1:39 PM
Part of it is hardware capability. The netflix app uses a lot of RAM and is pretty processor intensive, so it isn't so much the software as it is the hardware.

As well, by doing a limited release they can have, in a sense, a controlled test group, and also limit the strain on the server while the determine how much people will use it and how much bandwidth they (netflix) needs to support a full on mobile app like this.

That is likely a bigger reason why some phones that have the processing and RAM ability to support the app didn't get it, yet. There is also some software involved, but it is trivial given the developers have made a version of the app that will work on any device running 2.2 or greater.
HzD incredible

Jul 10, 2011, 3:05 PM
"As well, by doing a limited release they can have, in a sense, a controlled test group, and also limit the strain on the server while the determine how much people will use it and how much bandwidth they (netflix) needs to support a full on mobile app like this."
finally a good answer, verizon and htc had no idea how to answer my question. but luckily i rooted my phone and got netflix for my thunderbolt. It makes alot of sense, we all know what happens when there is to much bandwidth used, att = iphone

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.