Home  ›  Forums  ›

Development

all discussions

Linux OS

swamp_donkey

Feb 17, 2005, 6:07 PM
Does anyone know if Linux is going to be loaded on any cell phones anytime soon? Microsoft is evil. 👿
Wereling

Mar 7, 2005, 4:00 PM
I don't know about Linux, but if you're looking for a non-microsoft smartphone, both Nokia and Sony/Ericsson (and maybe some others) have smartphones available suing versions of Symbian OS (which, IIRC, is an outgrowth of BeOS).

Sadly, I don't think there's a version available from either manufactuerer in CDMA, but if you're stuck with CDMA, there's always a PalmOS phone like the Treo 650.
swamp_donkey

Mar 7, 2005, 5:16 PM
Really anything anti-microsoft is good for me. They have just gotten too big for competition. I think they are really going to run into a problem when they want to make a big change to correct the security issues. They will have to change some of their base programming, which means everyone will have software that is incompatible with the new stuff, forcing everyone to change to different programs or versions therof. But enough ranting-I just think most of the microsoft OS's are poorly built, and I have yet to have my linux computer crash a single time.

As far as CDMA goes, I'm not a big fan anyway, so it's not a problem.
jamorr

Mar 31, 2005, 6:26 PM
There is a version of linux for mobiles but I'm not sure if anyone is using it. As for my home computer if my girfriend were willing to learn linux I would get rid of windows from my machines entirely. Til then I have to keep a winbox around for her.
swamp_donkey

Mar 31, 2005, 7:17 PM
I actually hear that Palm OS is changing to a base of Linux OS. Pretty cool.

I have a Gateway laptop that crashed...literally. I dropped it, and the hard drive was scratched across all of the important windows files for startup. I tried to reinstall, but because it thought windows was still there in some capacity, it would not load properly. Enter linux. I purchased a magazine with a freebie distro of Mandrake 9.1, installed it, and was off an running in under 2 hours, and I had never used linux before. It's free, there's endless applications, and will a little knowlede (less than with DOS) you can get pretty good at it. And I have NEVER had it crash. Ever. There is even a "Kill App" that I found that you just mouse over the ap...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.