Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Wireless Modem and Connect Speeds

phonehog

Jun 20, 2004, 10:13 AM
I am about to upgrade my wireless phone to use as a modem and connect to the internet using a date cable. I currently have cingular wireless (but not under a contract). Cingular tells me they have upgraded their network in my area to GSM and that with a GSM phone such as the Motorola V400 or 600 or Sony/Ericson T637 and a data connect cable, I will be able to log on to the internet using my ISP at "very fast speeds." Also they say the only charge will be a $3.99 monthly fee and I will be using my regular minutes of talk time.

Has anyone had success doing this?

How fast are the connection speeds?

Is there a better way to do this or a better carrier that I should look at?

Thanks!
simplymarcus

Jun 22, 2004, 6:31 AM
Hi this is Marcus of cingular wireless customer service. Yes cingular customers do this all the time. You have to purchase not only the phone but the data connect software. Some cingular markets u will have trouble locating the software call 1888-333-2355 that is national telesales they can ship it to u. Also on the new GSM network for cingular it is not 3.99 a month that is the old ionternet for TDMA customers rate. With GPRS you do not use your mintues but u are charged by the kilobyte. I would suggest u sign up for MEDia works for 19.99 unlimited wix and 750 text messages. and 200 multimedia messages. The coonnection speed varies.
NeumZ

Jun 22, 2004, 9:59 PM
if you wanna go all out on speed, you can get the edge card, but the cost goes from 20 to 75 though.
twotincups

Oct 6, 2004, 7:10 PM
Marcus- I have a Moto V600 (blue-tooth) and the Media Works package with a blue-tooth notebook. What is the dialing sequence of numbers on phone/computer to activate the GPRS connection? Also, do you use the Moto software and if so, does it know GPRS/bluetooth is being used as opposed to regular dial up?

Thanks
CDGIII

Oct 21, 2004, 3:33 PM
VZW is launching EVDO, which has the highest data rates of any wireelss protocol on the market today. They advertise 300-500 kbps. I've gotten 550kbps while in a car doing 70 mph on 280 through Newark. Stationary in very good signal environment (-45 dBm, single dominant pilot, no HOs); I've seen 1700kbps!! But there is a direct proportion to throughput speeds and bandwidth, and there is a direct proportion to bandwidth and $$. I don't know what they will be charging, but the LG VX8000 will be the first handset that will launch (next month, most likely) with EVDO. There are wireless cards already on the market, however. And all of the EVDO devices are backwards compatible, so if you leave the EVDO coverage area (which is being expanded daily)...
(continues)
BowWowWow

Oct 21, 2004, 4:04 PM
CDGIII said:
But there is a direct proportion to throughput speeds and bandwidth, and there is a direct proportion to bandwidth and $$. I don't know what they will be charging,

It's my understanding that the EVDO (REV 0)cards use the same provisioning as the $79.99 Unlimited National Access plan. I do know that right now you can ONLY activate one of the EVDO cards on the $79.99 plan, not one of the MB or per-minute plans. The VX8000 will be able to use airtime minutes, obviously, as a tethered solution. I use a PC3320 card right now (Nat'l Access) and I get 144 kbps while stationary. I haven't tried to use it while moving yet.

I bet that when EVDO (Rev A) comes out later next year, VZW will 'tier' the se...
(continues)
CDGIII

Oct 21, 2004, 4:31 PM
National Access is 1X_RTT. National Broadband is EVDO, and yeah, what I heard was that it will be about 99.99 a month.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.