Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 9 replies

"Data-capable"

Operaman

Nov 24, 2004, 12:56 AM
PhoneScoop has a useful definition of "Data-capable".

https://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?fid=25 »
This means that the phone can be used like a modem to connect a separate computer to the Internet or other system.

Is it actually possible to use a cell phone for regular ISP service?
One reason I've avoided cell phones so long is that I figured I needed to keep my land line for Internet service.

Let me guess - if you do use a cell phone to provide some sort of Internet service, you've got to install special (probably Windows-only) software onto the device you want to give Internet access to.

There's probably no way to hook up a plain old router to the phone's Internet service and then be able to...
(continues)
CDGIII

Nov 24, 2004, 11:19 AM
The phone does not require any special software other than the USB drivers. The cable coming out of the phone would be a USB cable. I don't have a lot of experience with wireless routers, so let me ask you. If you had a modem that connected to a PC via a USB port, could you connect a wireless router to that? If you can, then I would say most definitely you could use a wireless router off your phone as a wireless modem. But none of the manufacturers have a T1 cable that plugs into their phones, so, if you can overcome the USB to T1 issue, you're golden!!

With VZW's EVDO which is already in 13 markets and expanding weekly such that there will be nationwide coverage by end of 2005, assuming you live near a base station, you can expect some p...
(continues)
Operaman

Nov 24, 2004, 11:34 AM
If you had a modem that connected to a PC via a USB port, could you connect a wireless router to that?

This would be the chain of devices, and this represents a connection "":

Internet modem router(wireless or not) PC

Now, let's get more specific on what type of connection:

Internet modem router(wireless or not) PC

Here, I'm wondering if a "data-capable" cell phone could work as the "modem".
Note this means that the cell phone would never directly connect to the PC. It would connect directly to a hardware router that isn't going to take any kind of drivers. It's going to expect some sort of Ethernet connection, be it thr...
(continues)
CDGIII

Nov 29, 2004, 10:04 AM
If it requires an ethernet connection, then no it wouldn't work as none of the manufacturers support an ethernet cable connection to their phone. If you had some sort of junction box that would take a USB input and convert it to an ethernet output, then you could get it to work.
Operaman

Nov 29, 2004, 12:04 PM
I've never heard of a hardware USB-Ethernet converter.
Seems like that'd be a really wierd gadget for some reason, but I can't think of any reason why it couldn't exist, other than there are usually settings involved with an Ethernet device (speed, duplex, flow control) that you'd need to be able to adjust somehow.

I think some cell phones do Wi-Fi (802.11b(or a or g)).

If your client PCs also had Wi-Fi network cards, I wonder if you could run some sort of software NAT router on the cell phone so that it shared its inet connection with them?
baristakid

Dec 5, 2005, 10:53 AM
probably the easiest way to use your data capable phone on many computers is to run the phone via data cable (USB) into one computer, and then use an ethernet connection to a router. I had a set up like this at one point, with the computer before the router being used as a firewall. In regards to USB-ethernet adapter, they do exist and can be found at least at Radioshack that I know of. The problem with these in regards to phones is it has a USB-A connection, which is the same one that the data cable for the phone would terminate with. This of course could be overcome with a simple USB hub, but this would probably be too bulky and slow down the connection a ton.
Hildegarde32

Dec 1, 2005, 6:10 PM
I have a question concerning USB vs data capable. We have received the new Sanyo RL-4930 and was comparing it to the Sanyo VI-2300. The comparsion said that the RL-4930 wasn't data capable, but you can connect to other devices using an USB cable. It goes on to say that the VI-2300 is data capable but an USB cable is not available. From the definitions I get that if the phone is data capable you can use the phone as a modem, and if the phone can use an USB cable, you can connect to other devices.What is the difference?
celesticatfl

Dec 6, 2005, 6:24 PM
Keep in mind that you can have other devices that work with Data connections thru Bluetooth and Infared, too. Data-capable doesn't only mean a hard link thru a USB cable. But having a USB cable generally ensures that you can sync your info in your phone & PC without any other bells or whistles needed. Someone will create a cable if the demand is great enough though. 🙂
Homestar Runner

Dec 6, 2005, 9:56 PM
The 2300 can use the same usb cable as most other recent Sanyo phones -- 8100, 8200, 8300, 4900, 4920, 200, 5400, 5500, 5600 -- these all use can use the exact same usb cable, the 2300 included.
Rich Brome

Dec 7, 2005, 2:51 PM
It sounds like you want something like this:

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/kr1-router/ »

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.