Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Debate: Stubby vs. Internal vs. Extending Antenna????

rrosenberg

Nov 17, 2004, 5:38 PM
What is better for reception?? I hear from the engineers that extending is better....What new technologies are out there that will make the internal antenna better than the extending?
Lets hear it! -Cellgirl
CDGIII

Nov 17, 2004, 6:27 PM
In every case, an external antenna is always better. It moves the point of reception away from interference-causing internal components like amplifiers (LNA's), duplexers, and displays. In the case of a flip phone design, it helps if you can raise the tip of the antenna above the open portion of the flip in order to minimize what is known as the "shadowing" effect (the open flip's display blocking 30-40% of the antenna's circular radiation pattern.
GWFOX

Nov 17, 2004, 9:00 PM
Oh thats cool CDG. I didn't know about the concept of "shadowing" on a flip phone.

I know on there at phonescoop there was an article about someone creating a new RF (radio frequency) receiving chipset. I don't exactly remember the article.

External antennas have always proven to pull in a stronger signal than internal ones. CDG is right again about the point-of-reception.
muchdrama

Nov 18, 2004, 12:27 PM
...the open flip's display blocking 30-40% of the antenna's circular radiation pattern...
...from being beamed directly into my head. Suddenly I want a flip phone.
The Handsome

Nov 18, 2004, 2:34 PM
I was always told that external antennas are only useful in analog roaming. so i can see why certain users that live in rural areas would want one, but is it at all useful in urban, predominantly digital areas? or am i completely wrong about this?
MarkF

Nov 18, 2004, 7:25 PM
Extending the antenna will always be of more help as all radio/cellular systems are talk-back limited. In an urban setting it will help you 2 ways mostly:

1. Increased ERP that will give you a higher talk-back signal level while inside buildings.

2. Increased battery life by not having to transmit as much power to the target site. Digital systems will tell your phone to increase it's output power to receive an acceptable signal. Increased ERP will make your phone go further on a charge.

Both reasons are major reasons why you should extend the antenna if you phone has one whether your in an urban or rural setting.
The Handsome

Nov 18, 2004, 9:55 PM
*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*.

nicely done. thanks
MarkF

Nov 19, 2004, 2:19 PM
The Handsome said:
*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*.

nicely done. thanks

Your quite welcome...and thanks for the kudo's!
CDGIII

Nov 19, 2004, 3:02 PM
Very nicely summed up.
CDGIII

Nov 19, 2004, 3:02 PM
That is also true.
guitarman21

Dec 1, 2004, 9:51 PM
Depends on the frequencies being used. A longer antenna is needed for lower frequencies and a shorter antenna is needed for higher frequencies. There are many equations to find out how long an antenna should be.
FoneLink

Dec 2, 2004, 10:22 PM
Brings back bad memories of my senior design course in RF Circuit Design. That is probably some of the most confusing electrical eng. I have ever dealt with. I have a lot of respect for those who work in that field and are paving the way for new technologies.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.