Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Alltel and VZW Agents, What is in it for us Alltel Agents Merging In?

alltelagent

Jul 12, 2008, 4:11 PM
This thread is for Alltel and Verizon owners, Indirects, Agents and Employee's only.

What is in it for us Alltel Agents Merging Into Verizon, When this happens?

Or, What is in it for VZW? What will they take from Alltel and Implement into VZW?

Although, somethings may be speculation, hopefuly you have good sources and news to help us all. I think that this transition will be great for all of us.

Saying we don't get forced by FCC into buyout from another carrier so we don't create a Monopoly.
rmtp22

Jul 13, 2008, 9:18 AM
Alltel is in 54 markets. VZW is in 45 markets.

The question is how many of those markets do the two overlap? And how many of those markets are there only the two carriers?

In the markets you answered yes to both, bet your bottom dollar that market will be divested.
dzuchowski

Aug 4, 2008, 8:57 AM
feel the power of the Verizon Luke. It is strong in this one, yes it is...
Cellinovation

Jul 14, 2008, 10:37 AM
Well if it helps at all Alltel has started to upgrade the network to EVDO REV A. Wich is already used by Verizon. I think most of us can remember hearing about the purchase of Midwest Wireless by Alltel. Alltel has established roaming agreements for these GSM Assets already, with companies like AT&T and T-Mobile. Verizon wants the revenue from the other carriers. Verizon, Alltel, At&T, and T-Mobile are all going to use LTE as their 4th Generation Data Network, as is Vodaphone. LTE is billed as being low enough latency to use VOIP services. LTE is of course built on GSM technology so Alltels existing GSM assets will help them begin the roll out of LTE. Once LTE is established the LTE network will allow data roaming with the GSM provid...
(continues)
Joeboo62

Jul 26, 2008, 1:40 PM
That rumor about vodaphone buying verizon has been around for years. In regards to that , they seem to be happy being a partner. with the advent of other companies advertising best coverage globally who knows. But realistically 1 in 10 people travel abroud enough for that to be a turning point in their decision. In regards to the alltel retailers look at the article in regards to towers being up for sale by verizon in alltel market to aid in the approval of the acquisition. To be a realist alltel is in alot of areas that verizon is not. those people will most likely be secure in their jobs. and forthe rest it will probably be survival of the fittest.
Cellinovation

Jul 27, 2008, 3:41 PM
Of course the rumor has been around for years. Then again did you hear the one about Verizon buying Alltel. 😁

Other than Voda having an interest in Verizon there has been no real reason for Voda to purchase. They would take on substantially more risk, for a little larger piece of the pie. But with the roll out of LTE the networks will finally be compatible. This will most likely be viewed by Voda as a way they can extend their network. Like I said it's just speculation but I would think that if they don't finally buy Verizon, they at very least there will be a very close roaming agreement akin to the agreement we saw between Alltel and Verizon.
CellStudent

Aug 2, 2008, 11:54 PM
OK- a little clarity here:
Cellinovation said:
LTE is of course built on GSM technology so Alltels existing GSM assets will help them begin the roll out of LTE. Once LTE is established the LTE network will allow data roaming with the GSM providers as well.

LTE is not a GSM technology. I've been digging in to this for quite some time and have not yet been able to find any technical data to support this assertions other then various people saying "LTE is the natural progression of UMTS," which is less then helpful. LTE uses a totally different kind of data encrytion and transfer called OFDMA which is head and shoulders above ay prior wireless technology.

This is basically akin to saying: "The Toyota Pri...
(continues)
Not my real name

Aug 5, 2008, 8:15 AM
I concur! 😁
Cellinovation

Aug 5, 2008, 7:42 PM
LTE is based on current GSM standards
https://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=3026 »
In the frequency domain, the spacing between the subcarriers,
ÃŽ”f, is 15kHz. In addition, the OFDM symbol duration time is 1/ÃŽ”f + cyclic
prefix. The cyclic prefix is used to maintain orthogonally between the sub-carriers
even for a time-dispersive radio channel.
http://www.ericsson.com/technology/whitepapers/lte_o ... »
Sounds to me like time coded frequency reuse. or GSM dirivitive. Being based on the same system types GSM is Naturally more compatible with LTE.

CellSudent Said:
FCC regulations clearly prohibit foreign-owned companies from having massive stakes in U.S. wireless spectrum. Vodafone will never, I repeat, NEVER...
(continues)
CellStudent

Aug 7, 2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the Ericsson white pages link there. It does shed some light onto why LTE would be automatically compatible with GSM due to the Frequency Division Multiplexing. The otehr tech readouts I've seen made it pretty obscure as to why that label has been offered to LTE.

As far as Verizon GSM assets go, I still thinking it will serve only as a cash cow, and it's pretty well certain that VZW will deploy LTE/RevA devices with both transceivers in them when they initially hit the market. AT&T will only have to deploy straight LTE devices, which will give AT&T a slight leg up on the equipment cost side.

On the other hand, an LTE/RevA device will be able to roam on a GSM network if needed- the LTE-only device will be worthless if y...
(continues)
Cellinovation

Sep 15, 2008, 1:18 PM
I agree for the most part. I do think that Verizon wants to impliment LTE first and cover nationwide as fast as possile. They will probably stick to EVDO rev 0. with LTE to save handset cost.
liquidfire

Jul 14, 2008, 2:06 PM
no one knows. the buyout hasnt even been approved yet. so how would anyone know?

just wait like the rest of us and once someone knows, i'm sure we all will

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.