Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 12 replies

Verizon is now the largest US wireless carrier

Undisclosed

Apr 13, 2007, 12:49 AM
Verizon already was the largest carrier by revenue, and now they also have the largest subscriber base.
http://www.informationweek.com/mobility/showArticle. ... »
They steadily narrowed the gap for the last three years, and are now back in the lead. With unlimited text plans rolling out this month they are only going to expand that lead the rest of the year.
DeepFryerDan

Apr 13, 2007, 2:31 PM
so?
ABLINDKID

Apr 13, 2007, 9:37 PM
well i heard that alltell is gunna be bought out by verizon now, so its just gunna get bigger, sprint was going to buy it but they cant take that one now with the revenue, so verizon is in negotiation with alltell now to take it over, and alltell will become verizon after
motorolaQ2

Apr 16, 2007, 6:31 PM
I do not believe in that deal because they didnt offer anything to alltel.. alltel offered themselves to verizon. And verizon showed no sign in acquiring it. And yes verizon is the largest but the prices and charges they have are also one of the largest which causes me to rely on tmobile lol.. so tmobile is big to me 😁
ABLINDKID

Apr 16, 2007, 9:33 PM
well i have heard that verizon is in the process of taking over because alltell is huge in the west coast, where verizon has minimal coverage, so when you think about it verizon would make a huge impact if the deal goes through....from what i have heard from solectron the company i work for is that verizon is in the process of taking alltell over, i only know because verizon is gunna need the technicians and they already asked our company if we would be ready for when it happens
swittie

Apr 16, 2007, 11:39 PM
what about the standing of t-mobile?
ABLINDKID

Apr 17, 2007, 12:21 AM
tmobile is a good carrier the 3rd gen phones they have finnally switched to cdma network its acually a utms/wcdma networkfor a while verizon and sprint were the only cdma networks, not tmobile is finally with todays technology (umts/wcdma) has an average data speeds of around 384kbps but its not compatible with GSM therefore all phones must be dual-mode having GSM & umts technologies, but one downfall they have is, they dont have a tech department in any stores so if your phone ever needs to be replaced it always has to be shipped to your house, no instore replacements, and the new network still works with hard handoffs so it still has some problems with dropped calls and is still controlled by the rule of seven but the 3rd gen enhances serv...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Apr 18, 2007, 12:14 AM
What the cited article says is:
IDC also said Verizon Wireless had moved past AT&T's Cingular Wireless in an important subscriber category. "Verizon became the new market leader in terms of total direct retail subscribers/customers, with a total of 56.8 million, against 56.3 million for Cingular

"Total direct retail" is just one of many numbers, and it's not the one industry observers usually use to measure these things. Let me know when Verizon has more than 61 million subscribers (the last count for AT&T/Cingular based on the real number used to measure these things.)

I'm not anti-Verizon, of course, it just bugs me when people twist numbers to say what they want. You can make stats say just abou...
(continues)
japhy

Apr 18, 2007, 10:01 AM
🙂
ABLINDKID

Apr 18, 2007, 7:22 PM
hey rich any news about verizon aquiring alltell, because i work for solectron im a tech in the verizon stores and my regional trainer told me that verizon is requestion abunch of new hires for the west coast , because they are in the process of buying them out, i figured since you basically run the web site you would have some inside knowledge to this
RKB

Apr 19, 2007, 11:04 AM
Alltell just acquired the company that I used to work for in the midwest (First Cellular), and the word is they are looking to EXPAND, not sell to a larger carrier. Then again, things change quickly when massive quantities of money are involved. LOL
Rich Brome

Apr 28, 2007, 4:11 PM
This doesn't belong in the "Rumor Mill" forum. I'm closing this thread.

This thread has been closed by a moderator.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.