Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 50 replies

Deutche Telecome selling T-Mobile USA?!

hot_md_guy

Jul 4, 2005, 7:14 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050704/bs_nm/telecoms_d ... »

Interesting article. With T-Mobile's subscriber growth slowing consideribly, I'm sure it cost the german government quite a bit to continue to operate it.

The thing with this article, is that it ONLY notes one of Verizon's parents Vodafone as a potential buyer.

C'mon Cingular!!! I know you just spent 41 billion but drop another 30 and put so much room between you and everyone else it isn't even a contest.

Could you imagine Cingular with almost every GSM subscriber in the US? How massive their network would be then? C'mon SBC and Bellsouth, pony up! Git er done! Do this!

I think I can live with all of the annoying T-Mobile fan boys (so long as the annoyin...
(continues)
Sara419

Jul 5, 2005, 7:29 AM
If DT decides to sell T-Mobile. How does it affect the subscribers. My contract is up on Dec. 17. I would like to renew. But now hearing news like this I would have to go to another provider. 😲
simplymarcus

Jul 5, 2005, 8:54 AM
If T-Mobile is sold your contract will be sold with the company. The new carrier will have to keep the terms the same and your monthly rate the same. The name on you bill will change but little else.
nextel18

Jul 5, 2005, 11:30 AM
cingular wont bid against tmobile.. to many divestitures.
stevelvl

Jul 6, 2005, 11:05 AM
why would cing want to buy t-mob? the network is practically worthless. it is an old 2g network. it does not do edge. if you read the article this is a big reason t-mob would sell. any one who buys it would then have to imediately upgrade the entire network. talk about a waist of money. seams like it would be cheeper just to build a whole new netrwork then buy t-mob network
nextel18

Jul 6, 2005, 8:32 PM
i never said they would buy them..
stevelvl

Jul 6, 2005, 9:36 PM
nextel18 said:
i never said they would buy them..

i think my post was actually in responce to some one elses not yours
nextel18

Jul 6, 2005, 9:39 PM
no problem. 🙂 people make mistakes..
nikg

Jul 14, 2005, 1:16 PM
First of all, Cingular could not buy T-Mobile for the same reason Verizon cannot merge with Sprint, it is called a monopoly. If Cingular bought T-Mobile they would have a monopoly on the GSM market. Next, it is much cheaper to add new equipment to an existing tower than to build a new one. New towers cost anywhere from $700k to $2.5mil (source: my good friend builds cell towers).
phoneexpert12345

Jul 11, 2005, 9:45 AM
I wish cingular would buy T-mobile. It would be nice to have the same kind of separation between competitors like there was when Cingular bought AT&T. Everyone knows however, that cingular can't afford nor do they want to buy a crappy network. One good point, anyone notice that AT&T and Cingular offered almost identical phones, Well t-mobile and Cingular are producing new phones almost exactly alike (ie- Nokia 6101 & 6102)...Merger??
homeslice5484

Jul 11, 2005, 10:48 AM
LORD I HOPE NOT!! ANYONE BUT CINGULAR!!!
simplymarcus

Jul 11, 2005, 6:27 PM
I think a cable tv comapny will buy T-Mobile.
smd

Jul 12, 2005, 12:42 AM
I don't think they will get sold at all. They are the only growth DT has, the european markets are already way to saturated as is.
simplymarcus

Jul 12, 2005, 4:33 PM
I think DT will sell T-Mobile USA.
nextel18

Jul 12, 2005, 5:48 PM
i agree, but to whom, that is the big question.
colione112

Jul 17, 2005, 7:20 PM
I think a cable company will scoop them up. Maybe disney or time warner or comcast. They all have resell agreements with Sprint, so why not jump in the rest of the way and operate your own company. something like "Disney Comm" or "TW Mobile"

They will do it because they already have content to offer like yahoo and google currently do to carriers.
stevelvl

Jul 18, 2005, 12:01 AM
in this economy which one has the money for it? honestly the only reason i could see a cable company buying a mobil company is to keep there isp market share. with nex technologys like evdo and wimax there is a lot of choices for internet.
nextel18

Jul 12, 2005, 5:47 PM
comcast already said that they dont want to, and i am not sure many others would be interested either.
stevelvl

Jul 12, 2005, 7:56 PM
comcast will not because ti will conflict with time warners joint venture with sprint. cox will not for the same reason.

who else is left that possably could?
nextel18

Jul 12, 2005, 7:59 PM
doesnt leave anyone else as a possiblity. so there goes that theory about the cable company buying a cell phone company.
simplymarcus

Jul 12, 2005, 8:16 PM
I think DT will sell T-Mobile USA but not anytime soon.
nextel18

Jul 12, 2005, 8:18 PM
Perhaps, but what’s the point of waiting? If there would only be one bidder they wouldn’t get much, however, if there are two bidders they could get a lot for it al though I don’t believe that they will. The company isn’t worth that much per subscriber and plus they are not a great company, as I keep on mentioning.
simplymarcus

Jul 12, 2005, 8:43 PM
Nobody is willing to pay DT asking price. Vodafone makes to much money on Verizon wireless to give it up for T-Mobile. I would not sell my stake in Verizon Wireless for T-Mobile that is just plain stupid. Comcast will only buy it if they can get T-Mobile at a low cost and make their money back quick.
nextel18

Jul 12, 2005, 8:49 PM
Yea, with your first point, I agree with you 110 percent and that is what I have been saying all along on the message boards. When I brought it up, people were bashing me and saying that my opinions aren’t sound especially when I did pros and cons for the situation and the cons outweighed the pros. (which I guess wasn’t what those members wanted to hear)

With your 2nd point, Comcast’s execs has stressed that they don’t want a wireless company now, however, they would team up with one. (Not buy one of course)

This is according to Reuters to back up my statement.

"Comcast Declines to Buy a Wireless Operator
Comcast has decided against purchasing a wireless carrier, based on the belief that it does not make financial sense. Top execu...
(continues)
simplymarcus

Jul 12, 2005, 9:53 PM
I think Comcast would not need to do all that to sell T-Mobile service. They can sell T-Mobile service bundled with local phone service and cable tv. I think T-Mobile USA as a independent service will be able to compete with Cingular and Verizon and Sprint/Nextel.
nextel18

Jul 12, 2005, 9:58 PM
I agree with your first point, but disagree with your 2nd point, because I don’t feel that tmobile USA will be able to compete with cingular, verizon and sprint/Nextel. Why? Well a few reasons.

1. Vzw, sprint/Nextel and cingular have a bigger subscriber base and a bigger network.
2. They all have plans to go very soon to go to a 3g network and also they have 3g spectrum.
3. I just don’t feel that they will compete well without someone funding them with their needs; such as what I have explained earlier.
4. Tmoble USA doesn’t really have great metrics; i.e. sub growth, good arpu, good churn, and good data arpu.

I think they are in trouble anyway.
simplymarcus

Jul 13, 2005, 9:15 AM
I am sorry I meant to say cannot compete as an independent service. But I think as part of a bundle with cable tv and high speed internet. T-Mobile service can make comcast a lot of money. My point is if T-Mobile as an independent comapny has no future right now but as a part of Comcast they have a shot. It will appeal to those people who like bundled services and who just want a cell phone to call on. And they can still cater to younger subscribers with the low cost nationwide plans. The only reason Verizon and Cingular are going 3g is to raise thier ARPU. Comcast can keep T-Mobile prices low to cater to that customer base and just raise their cable tv prices.
nextel18

Jul 13, 2005, 9:26 AM
Ahh. Yes, I understand now.

Do you mean that Comcast buys them out or does some kind of partnership with them and if you are talking about a partnership what kind would it be? If your not, are you expecting Comcast buys them out, or perhaps does a joint venture with another firm or perhaps other Venture capital firms?

Well when you mentioned that they could cater to the younger consumers, what about prepaid? Wouldn’t prepaid be a nice competitor against tmobile especially since prepaid tries to target the younger demographic?

I am just not seeing tmobile USA doing quite well anymore in this marketplace especially that they are laggards in basically every facet of the industry. (I.e. no 3g data, network, bad coverage area.. etc..)
(continues)
simplymarcus

Jul 13, 2005, 11:43 AM
Comcast buys t-mobile and uses them as part of them bundling cable tv and home phone service and high speed internet. I think thats the only way T-Mobile can survive is part of a serivce buundle. Kind of like DISH network SBC bought DISH network for a bargain price and now sells it in a service bundle. DISH network on it's own could not compete with Directv.
nextel18

Jul 13, 2005, 11:44 AM
makes sense, however, you have one small problem. Comcast DOESNT want tmobile usa or any wireless carrier for that matter. (they said so themselves and i showed an article about it)
simplymarcus

Jul 13, 2005, 11:58 AM
I think if the price was right they would buy it. But T-Mobile USA not worth DT asking price.
nextel18

Jul 13, 2005, 12:01 PM
yea, that is true. if the price is right then perhaps someone would buy it, but then you need to include the 10+ billion dollars with the 3g spectrum purchases, capex increases for network expansion, and a roll out of 3g data network.

i dont think anyone would want to by tmobile usa becuase of those key events that needs to take place.
simplymarcus

Jul 13, 2005, 1:06 PM
I do not think Comcast will need to go 3g. I think T-nobile service is good enough to be added as aprt of a service bundle just can't stand on it's own next to the big boys.
nextel18

Jul 13, 2005, 1:11 PM
Yea, unfortunately, I would have to disagree with your statement. In the wireless world, you need to go to a 3g network. Why? Well because this market will be saturated soon and only 300 or so million people live in the United States. As it becomes saturated, then data arpu and arpu will matter a lot and lifetime revenue per user would be an another important metric. Tmobile USA needs to have some kind of a 3g network, because if they don’t, they will be in trouble. They won’t be able to keep their customer and attract new customers without any new data products such as high-speed data, and other products that can rival or perhaps triumph their competitors.

With this fast moving industry, you need to always be at the front. In addition t...
(continues)
simplymarcus

Jul 13, 2005, 1:52 PM
I think there are still a lot of customers that really do not care about data services. I thiink there are still a lot of customers just looking for the cheapest cellular option. Comcast could offer T-Mobile to those customers.
nextel18

Jul 13, 2005, 1:57 PM
Yea, I don’t think so. I think many people want data services. Why? Well take a look at new data plans and look at DATA Arpu. It keeps on rising, which shows demand for the data services.

Comcast already said they don’t want a wireless company and I think we should just stop with that theory, if that’s ok with you.
smd

Jul 13, 2005, 2:10 PM
There are still those that DO not plan on using data services, I know for a fact, none of my family would ever use them as they are the most technologically deficcient peope you would ever meet. Many people just want a phone for emergencys. I still do not think T-mobile will get sold, they are the only company with potential growth for T-Mobile International with the saturated European market. It just doesn't make sense. I think it will be worthwhile to wait for the spectrum auction.
nextel18

Jul 13, 2005, 2:15 PM
Well see, you said that your family wouldn’t get data services? Do you have cable internet now? Anyway, if you don’t have either or wouldn’t get either, then you are one out of many of people who would get it. Just check out the numbers of Ev-do that verizon has signed up, and it’s a great number. In addition, like I said to the other person, look at the data arpu, it keeps on going up, so that means people WANT the data services. Just because you don’t want, it doesn’t mean that the others wouldn’t.

What do you think that it would be worthwhile to wait for the spectrum auction? What happens if verizon or cingular/att wireless, or even sprint/Nextel puts in a "fake" bid for the spectrum, which would raise the price of the spectrum and pr...
(continues)
dca

Jul 13, 2005, 3:19 PM
At this point the only groups left that can afford to over-pay for T-Mobile would be that SK-Earthlink startup or a group of CLECs get together and forming a co-op (to buy it) in that before discussed bundled (landline & wireless) scenario...
nextel18

Jul 13, 2005, 3:20 PM
Yea, that is true, however, i dont think that will happen.
T-jim

Jul 13, 2005, 3:37 PM
Wi-fi could and will offer a speedy data delivery for mt folks as wi-fi sites get patterned out into every nick and cranny of urban life. I phone that offers voice over Internet at home that could be taken away from home wirelessly then connect to wi-fi when available is a good business plan for T- mobile. they can increase data with a wi-fi phone alone with waiting the allocation of additional spectrum.
nextel18

Jul 13, 2005, 3:39 PM
i guess, but that doesnt convince me enough for tmobile usa to last in this marketplace.

☹️
simplymarcus

Jul 13, 2005, 6:24 PM
Nextel18 you are out of touch with your average cellular customer.
nextel18

Jul 14, 2005, 7:32 PM
if you want to think that.
stevelvl

Jul 14, 2005, 1:11 AM
data spectrum will be a huge comodity in the future of wireless for one simple reason

VOIP in the future you will see voip replaceing traditional voice protocalls on traditional cellular and pcs netowkrs. why? the answer is simple as wifi and wimax expands oyu will see intigration between wi-fi an voip services simalar to vontage. your cell phone will work off the traditional wireless network via technologes like ev-do and utilization of voip while oyu are out and about, but when you get home your phone will automatically switch over to your wifi home network where you get unlimited mins for a low price.

it is a very cost effciant way for carriers to maximize spectrum, as well as solve the age old problem of poor reception on homes. ...
(continues)
nextel18

Jul 14, 2005, 7:34 PM
So what does this have to deal with tmobile and DT selling them and who could the buyers be?
stevelvl

Jul 14, 2005, 7:46 PM
what it has to do with is the future of wirless and why cable companies would be interested in wireless providers as well as why 3g and 4g will significantly impact voice customers.

my post was partially in rsponvce to your post and in agreement with data playing a big role in the future of wirless.

also this is what at&t was planning on doing with sprint. also what time warner and sprint are currently exploreing and for that very reason comcast will not buy dt. comcast and time warner are all owned by the same company
nextel18

Jul 14, 2005, 7:53 PM
1. cable companies are interested in not owning cell phone companies, but they are interested in teaming up with them with doing bundles or leasing off of their network, such as mvno's and things of that nature.

2. Sorry about that... 🙂

3. Everyone is doing with sprint is with mvno's since they have so much capacity on their network that they can "afford" to do these deals. Comcast and time Warner are owned by the same company? I am not sure whether I want to laugh or cry. If they were the same company, as you claim, they wouldn’t have two separate stocks, and because of that, they are two SEPARATE publicly traded companies!!! Comcast doesn’t want to buy DT it was about Tmobile USA, which they don’t want to buy anyway!
nextel18

Jul 11, 2005, 11:49 AM
cingular couldnt. too many divestitures and it wouldnt be worth it.
sw44

Jul 14, 2005, 12:48 PM
Acually in our market, T-Mobile works 100X's better than cingular, I sell T-mobile, Cingular and Sprint. We get more people that hate cingular's reception than any other carrier. I personally think that in our area if cingular bought our them it would be a great improvement. But then again so would just simply adding more towers.
AtTheMet

Jul 26, 2005, 8:18 PM
sw44 said:
Acually in our market, T-Mobile works 100X's better than cingular, I sell T-mobile, Cingular and Sprint. We get more people that hate cingular's reception than any other carrier. I personally think that in our area if cingular bought our them it would be a great improvement. But then again so would just simply adding more towers.

Where are you?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.