Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 22 replies

Cell Numbers Being Published?

iammebutnotme

Apr 26, 2005, 11:24 AM
I've heard now from 2 customers and an employee's parent that somehow, someone is going to publish everyone's cell number.

Now from what I've seen/heard, the only companies in the US that release their customers numbers to outside sources for lookup or telemarketing are Cingular/AT&T and T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon are adamant about not releasing the numbers, again from what I've seen/heard.

Has anyone heard anything re this? If so, post what you've heard!

Thanks!
Digital Pimp

Apr 26, 2005, 3:13 PM
iammebutnotme said:
I've heard now from 2 customers and an employee's parent that somehow, someone is going to publish everyone's cell number.

Now from what I've seen/heard, the only companies in the US that release their customers numbers to outside sources for lookup or telemarketing are Cingular/AT&T and T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon are adamant about not releasing the numbers, again from what I've seen/heard.

Has anyone heard anything re this? If so, post what you've heard!

Thanks!

Very True about Verizon...they will not release any numbers without the customer's consent...and even when they receive that they double and triple check to make absolutely sure that is what the customer wants...sham...
(continues)
mjfoto66

Apr 26, 2005, 3:52 PM
Cingular has announced they will not participate in the cell phone directory. Customers will have to give the information themselves.
becky7113

May 26, 2005, 10:25 AM
they are not going to publish cell phone numbers its against FCC policy
Mister_Zero

Apr 28, 2005, 2:19 PM
USCC is firmly against any type of directory. A customer's # should only be available should the customer choose to publish it.
THE BOX

May 12, 2005, 8:46 AM
we (cingular) are not giving any cell number out to anyone .
1 its illegal
2. customers pay for those minutes unlike a landline where they are unlimited
3. we have a confidential agreement not to disclose person info such as cell numbers
PsYkE

May 12, 2005, 9:52 AM
My best friend's ex somehow got her brand new cell phone # - & said he got in through a cell phone # search engine... He's stalking her & now she's gotta get a restraining order on him.
verizonmatt

May 20, 2005, 4:35 PM
Actually all carriers except for Verizon have agreed to do a mobile directory!! Denny Strigl said pretty much it will be a cold day in 😈 👿 before we release our customers confidential mobile number!!!
silk1981

May 26, 2005, 1:00 PM
...U.S. Cellular is not participating in a mobile directory either.
mark0000

May 21, 2005, 12:16 PM
There has been quite a bit of misinformation via the press regarding this. I double checked a few sources but as far as I can tell, it is nothing to worry about.

-Regardless of carrier, customers need to OPT IN to this service. If you don't do anything, it's not listed. I know T-Mobile had an opt-in box on service agreements for awhile. No one checked it, not on a single one of my activations. Nor were we ever told what to do if they did check it.

-This will not be published but only available via 411. Now, I'm sure some mischievous folks will fraudulently get ahold of this (as the myriad of "unlisted number internet sites" attests to), but technically it wouldn't be available to telemarketers etc.

-As for T-Mobile particula...
(continues)
Rich Brome

May 21, 2005, 2:04 PM
Thank you. What you said is correct.

There is a wild rumor about all cell phone numbers being published, listed, or otherwise made available to telemarketers. That rumor is 100% false.

There is a wireless 411 initiative. The proposal is for an opt-in service where you could choose to list your mobile number so that individual people calling 411 could look you up.

It's intended for professionals who want to "cut the cord". Right now, there are professionals who only use a mobile phone, but have to keep a landline just so people calling information can look them up.

With wireless 411, not only is it opt-in, but it does not release your number to telemarketers - it is still illegal for them to call a mobile number....
(continues)
Dyingunman

May 21, 2005, 2:34 PM
Wow, 😳

So if any telemarketer calls me on my cell, its illegal, and they can be sued?

Also on an unrelated note what would hapen if I reported you to the moderator?, do you moderate yourself or do you laugh at the person who did it? 😈
mark0000

May 21, 2005, 4:57 PM
I think they can call your cell, but it is a gray area. ExampleL I don't have a landline, so for many applications/personal info sheets, I list my cell phone. If I provide my cell number to a company that, in their fine print, sells my information, then they can call.

(Some banks are notorious for selling information, and I know I rarely read the 22 page pamphlet in size 6 font about the TOS. But I accept that.)

So unless said number is on the do not call list, they can use that number.
PJF70

May 27, 2005, 8:54 AM
Your information is correct. You must register your cell phone number on the National D Not Call Registry in order for it to be illegal for a TM to call you.
Hello Moto

May 23, 2005, 11:28 PM
Thank you Rich! Great post. 😁
verizonmatt

May 24, 2005, 6:30 PM
By the way Sprint is opting out on this one too!!!
fooldmeonceagin

Jun 18, 2005, 9:10 PM
Are you crazy?? You would not believe how many people have called demanding their names not be published or they would sue...Verizon is doing it's customer's a good thing by not participating in this directory...Verizon doesn't have to exploit the fears of the public, that is what the new's is for. And I for one have never heard of the Verizon Super pages at least not for cellular, maybe landline? But certainly not for wireless. 😕
verizonmatt

May 24, 2005, 12:10 PM
VZW is not releasing anything to anyone. Cingular, Alltel, at&t, suncom, nextel are going to release their customers info. Not sure about sprint
Hello Moto

May 24, 2005, 1:43 PM
Please DO NOT post INCORRECT information. Those other carriers are not going to 'release' customer info. CUSTOMERS will OPT-IN if they want to be in a directory.
There is nothing worse than someone posting INCORRECT INFORMATION.
PLEASE know what you are talking about before making yourself look like a FOOL!!!
verizonmatt

May 24, 2005, 6:25 PM
No the customers will pay a fee to have their numbers not publishe is how it will work!!
Hello Moto

May 24, 2005, 6:42 PM
Where are you getting this info??? You are so wrong... NO CARRIER WILL PUBLISH THIER CUSTOMERS WIRELESS NUMBER... It will be OPT-IN... Verizon will not allow any of their customers to Opt-In because they will CHARGE their customers to be in THEIR directory!!!
PJF70

May 27, 2005, 8:50 AM
Agree with Hello Moto

First, there was never going to be a published directory. What the carriers were looking at was a 411-type directory assistance service.

Second - participation is 100 percent OPT IN and no trick opt-in - you would have to instruct the carrier to add your number to the service

Third, every carrier stated plainly tht they would not provide custoemr information to third parties

Fourth, most of the carriers have backed off of developing the 411 service

lastly, if you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe Consumers Union and the FCC Visit escapecellhell.org and look in the newsroom for a nice debunking of this "urban myth."

Also, feel free to read this notice from the FCC about the stupid e-mail that ha...
(continues)
PJF70

May 27, 2005, 8:57 AM
This is not true. I believe all of the w-411 particpating carriers agreed that they would not charge for opt-in or opt-out.

Also, moot point becuse no one is developing the service anyway.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.