Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 23 replies

Apple's iPhone predicted to find home at T-Mobile U.S. in 2010?

AndroidRules

Dec 1, 2009, 4:12 PM
Anybody hear about this? I didn't see it posted it here. So what does everyone think? It kind of makes sense in a way being that Apple would just have to add the AWS radio to the iPhone and that's it.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/12/01/apples ... »
payurbill

Dec 1, 2009, 8:14 PM
it would make since since tmobile customer bene using iphone for years and they were always able to get pictures messages from what i was told cause my buddy has one and when i ask if he did software upgrade to get pic he look at me stupid cause he always been able to do it for at least a year now
AndroidRules

Dec 1, 2009, 9:26 PM
payurbill said:
it would make since since tmobile customer bene using iphone for years and they were always able to get pictures messages from what i was told cause my buddy has one and when i ask if he did software upgrade to get pic he look at me stupid cause he always been able to do it for at least a year now

True. It's the logical choice but it leaves me to wonder if T-Mo could handle the influx of users they would obtain that would be accessing their 3G network. Many AT&T iPhone users are itching to switch and with T-Mo's new pricing plans, it's pretty tempting.

Other issues would be coverage. If people are bitching about AT&T's 3G coverage now, can you imagine what they'll say about T-Mo's? Not ...
(continues)
nickyscoops

Dec 1, 2009, 10:07 PM
WOW!!!!! Now Apple lovers's will have a choice of having terrible service with two provider's. Is the Apple really worth it???
Azeron

Dec 2, 2009, 3:56 AM
Of course it is.
craytonelectronics

Jan 12, 2010, 6:19 PM
Look the iPhone is great but the Google Hero I use is much better and cost less on the monthly bill. I get unlimited everything for $89.99 plus 7% off that for having an account at a credit union. My AT&T bill was $177 for unlimited everything. So I sold my iphone for $400.00 paid AT&t their going away present and signed up with Sprint. The Google phone rocks.
clearwater_man

Dec 2, 2009, 12:57 AM
i think that country bumkins shouldn't have iphones anyway because then they call in and say: hey i needs somebody to learn me to use this mobile ijigger. some guy in the store told me i could get lots of apples on this little tv. he say they can do anything and im really wanting to talk to the aliens that abducted me when i was 10. 🤣 🤣
IBoss1977

Dec 3, 2009, 6:15 PM
Why would any company as big as apple that deals with huge companies like AT&T go to a petty, no service having, struggling company like T-Mobile... The only home that the Iphone is going to find is on the nations best network which I believe everyone will agree...
VERIZON... and once that happens... good night A AND T....
dmodegirl

Dec 30, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hmm, let's see... iPhone is based on the GSM network Verizon isn't, it uses CDMA network while Tmobile is GSM. iPhone is available on Tmobile in Germany. Face it Verizon isn't a good match currently for the iPhone.
esloatcellguy

Dec 30, 2009, 4:17 PM
verizon isnt a good match for anything first of all, second there is no way apple would ever sell to t-mobile, they wont even give verizon the iphone, there going to give them(verizon) a cheaper verizon of it, and its not even an 'IPHONE' it will be some sort of an 'APPLE' phone. who knows we'll all see what happens over the next year
dmodegirl

Dec 30, 2009, 11:27 PM
Apple already sells to Tmobile overseas sorry to tell you.
zrock02

Jan 4, 2010, 11:29 AM
and the ceo of apple already stated that the iphone has all the technology to run on cdma already it will juts take a few tweaks
afroman4

Dec 31, 2009, 10:51 AM
Why would any company as big as apple that deals with huge companies like AT&T go to a petty, no service having, struggling company like T-Mobile... The only home that the Iphone is going to find is on the nations best network which I believe everyone will agree...
VERIZON... and once that happens... good night A AND T....

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

https://www.phonescoop.com/carriers/forum.php?fm=m&f ... »

dont get your hopes up buddy verizon has to dump their overrated pathetic CDMA before apple will privilege them with being able to sell the iphone. Nobody would want to buy and iphone on CDMA that they cant unlock to use elsewhere cuz Verizon is one of the few tard...
(continues)
prizbilla_babykilla

Dec 31, 2009, 6:38 PM
well, verizon is the biggest "tard" then, followed by that other big "tard" sprint...

i think you're sort of right though. i cant see apple making a cdma iphone when cdma will be useless in a couple years. i think if they do it at all, it will go to tmobile first, then when lte comes out, verizon will have some sort of crazy apple device that shapeshifts and makes coffee and s**t. but until then, verizon wont get it. 🤣
afroman4

Dec 31, 2009, 6:43 PM
my point exactly and i would have to say sprint is the biggest tard of them all cuz they are going to Wimax while everyone else is going to LTE so once that transition happens in the next 2 yrs or so(hopefully that fast) then it will be pointless to be a customer with them since you wont be able to roam with a wimax phone...(unless they make phones with that new qualcomm dual mode band chip 😲 )
hepresearch

Jan 10, 2010, 8:17 PM
Well, I heard that WiMax can be turned into LTE with a simple software update... if that's true, what's to say that Sprint doesn't simply turn their WiMax network into LTE practically overnight? That would give them a slight edge in the 4G race that is shaping up...

Just to show you this rumor exists, here is just one example: http://www.precentral.net/clearwire-changes-r elationship-status-wimax-its-complicated-frie nds-lte

I'm not a Sprint fan, but all the white papers I've read show that this could be done. After all, both WiMax and LTE are OFDMA based...
afroman4

Jan 12, 2010, 5:39 PM
the link is broken...but anyways if its that simple for them to make the switch in the future then what does that say about their phones? Its bad enough they dont have any wimax phones and clear its self stated they wouldnt be offering any until LATE this year. would the phones need an update as well?? i just think that would be more of an inconvenience to the customers that may already be dissatisfied with their service and lack of wimax phones...
hepresearch

Jan 12, 2010, 8:12 PM
Sorry about the link... I'm trying this again;

http://www.precentral.net/clearwire-changes-relation ... »

The chief complaint I have heard about WiMAX devices and mobile testing is that battery life is a serious issue. Perhaps this is why we have not seen any WiMAX phones yet, although we have seen a couple of WiMAX internet tablets come into existence;

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-n ... »

and here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNmXkLuNuJQ »

The problem with devices will be what I said earlier... while switching the towers from WiMAX to LTE will be a simple software update, switching a phone from WiMAX to LTE requires the addition of a S...
(continues)
juice007

Jan 14, 2010, 1:31 PM
Could you post the article for those of us with firewalls?
hepresearch

Jan 14, 2010, 3:16 PM
Alright, here is the article in its entirety... the article is a little on the old side, but you'll get the points:

Clearwire changes relationship status with WiMax to 'it's complicated,' then Friends LTE

As the rest of the world, Verizon included, dedicates itself to LTE, an eye has turned to lone WiMax supporters Sprint and quasi-subsidiary Clearwire (Sprint owns 51% of the company). Unbeknownst to most, however, WiMax and LTE are actually quite similar, so much so that Clearwire CEO Bill Morrow recently told the Wall Street Journal that if they were to switch to LTE, it’d be a matter of a mere software upgrade.

While Clearwire’s Clear service is only available in more than 40 markets in 16 US states, not a single mobile...
(continues)
hepresearch

Jan 19, 2010, 12:43 PM
I have been thinking more about this, and well, here's an interesting thought... what if Sprint decided to bring the R-UIM card to the US? CDMA operators in some other countries have been using R-UIM cards for years; they are the CDMA equivalent of GSM's SIM cards. It could make alot of sense, if new WiMAX phones were equipped with an inactive R-UIM port for CDMA operation, and then once the WiMAX to LTE conversion happens, just issue LTE SIM cards with legacy CDMA support. They have already succeeded in designing phones in other countries where the R-UIM port also operates as a SIM port when necessary, so this is not a huge leap, and since R-UIM and SIM cards are supposed to now be built to the same standard, well, that might seal the d...
(continues)
hepresearch

Jan 19, 2010, 1:14 PM
I was told that there were R-UIM ports that doubled as SIM ports, but in a quick moment of panic I realised I had not confirmed that yet. After a quick search of the internet, I found a phone that has both an R-UIM port and a SIM port on the same phone, and here's the proof;

http://mobile.engadget.com/2006/02/27/samsung-w399-d ... »

Not quite what I had described, but it shows that such things can exist. I have not yet confirmed the existence of a dual R-UIM/SIM port, but I'll bet such a thing could be invented if it hasn't already been.

It also occurred to me that R-UIM cards are probably not well known to most of us, so just a primer here:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-ruim-card.htm »

http://brainz. »...
(continues)
Mr.Manson

Jan 11, 2010, 12:57 PM
Have you ever had a T-Mobile phone and service?
rainbow_metals

Jan 12, 2010, 3:26 PM
or they could just get the nexus one which is supposed to be the competition for the iphone.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.