Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 229 replies

largest coverage?

kountryjentleman

Mar 7, 2005, 8:32 PM
who has the most coverage, verizon or cingular?
EliteSoja

Mar 7, 2005, 10:33 PM
CINGULAR...........45mil subscribers
laddertothestarz

May 11, 2005, 1:28 PM
subscribers and coverage are different ๐Ÿ˜
CELLDUDE8675309

Jun 11, 2005, 1:14 PM
Verizon BY FAR has the best and the LARGEST coverage! Up here in Montana, in the vacationers paradise, we see a ton of cingular and t-mobile customers, that have NO coverage and/or service here. And 99% of the time, the customer was told by the rep that sold them the plan, that it won't be aproblem, you will have coverage! It's almost like they have built a wall around Montana, and will not let their coverage work. You reps, and you all know who you are in California,(where most of the vacationers are from) are KILLING yourself for when it comes time for your customers to do an upgrade! Verizon will be taking those customers, willingly, guaranteed! I had a cincular customer from Cali. in yesterday, with no coverage, that was seriously ...
(continues)
simplymarcus

Jun 11, 2005, 2:57 PM
Who cares about Montana
CELLDUDE8675309

Jun 13, 2005, 12:01 PM
Obviously the vacationers. You sound like a disgruntled salesman from Cali? Are you the who has been filing your customers heads with this nonsense?
Ocellular

Jun 26, 2005, 2:57 AM
Okay, i can take some crap from people who dog Cingular, b/c true like any company, it has it flaws. But everyone knows Verizon lacks quality service. They use CDMA, which is close to what Cingular used ten years ago. If an average customer uses Verizon, then uses Cingular for a trial 99% of the time the customer will end up with Cingular. And the coverage map works like this, Verizon will put a spot on the map if the phone has one bar. The map that you see with Cingular is ONLY FULL service areas. If you were to put every spot on the map that cingular will have just one bar, they'd still beat Verizon
frankiewawa

Jul 7, 2005, 9:43 AM
what have you been smoking buddy? i had cingular before (currently with verizon) and verizons quality sounds much better... and i get alot less dropped calls than i did with cingular.
weirdroe

Mar 1, 2006, 2:22 PM
Good points by both, but obviously we are comparing apples and oranges when it comes to maps. Verizon---- Not a true map, showing coverage digital and analog crap, if sir, you are selling Verizon in Montana, it has to hard to have all of that paper around, you have a map for digital IN service, digital OUT service, N & W map, M2M map, etc. You may want to change companies and sell one map for one company, true Cingular is only GSM and therefore they don't have towers in the sticks of Montana, but they do have the largest DIGITAL service of any company!!!
bm2k_83

Mar 17, 2006, 4:45 PM
You are all nutz. Neither company can give a realiable depiction of their coverage map. T-Mobile with the Personal coverage check map (PCC) is the only current carrier that can pull up street level converage and tell you what type of service you should expect on the network. Also T-mobile has service in MT unless you dont think Billings, Great Falls, Helena, or Missoula cities are in MT.
magellan

Mar 17, 2006, 11:19 PM
LOL, this is funny.

I had Sprint for 14 days and they promised coverage throughout the entire thumb of Michigan. Their "roaming plan" never did work and fortunately I returned the phones. Later I found out if I didn't use 50%+ in network I'd be charged roaming. So much for their "Fair and Flexible".

Next I went to Cingular. They don't offer coverage in our area. They gave me the "we're constantly upgrading our network" blah blah blah. I then asked a guy at work who has Cingular how his coverage is....uh, well, pretty good. Another guy has T-Mobile...same answer. It also will not work in our area.

I stopped fiddling around and finally asked someone that would know better than anyone..... a truck driver friend. Without hesitation he s...
(continues)
allstarmatt614

Mar 27, 2006, 9:46 AM
Now what type of coverage are you talking about? because Verizon CLAIMS to have the biggest coverage, however, A LOT of their area is roaming or "one-bar" areas that they still put on their maps. When looking at a pamphlet it even says at the bottom in small print: "map may be subject to approval and not accurate" blah blah blah.

Also, Verizon is mainly US.

T-mobile I would say has the biggest WORLD COVERAGE.

Cingular has probably the best US coverage with quality as of now.
Because all of their areas are full access areas plus since they roam off of T-mobile there coverage is a lot greater because they have old AT&T towers, plus free roaming from T-mobile.

T-mobile however, is planning on expensing a lot of money in the ne...
(continues)
jennymya

Apr 3, 2006, 3:53 PM
Cingular has coverage in Puerto Rico AND the Virgin Islands. Practically ALL of Puerto Rico is covered along with the Virgin Islands! ๐Ÿ˜
alternals

May 19, 2006, 1:45 PM
square milage wise alltel actually has the largest footprint, but most of the coverage is rural. As for technology, cdma is not what cingular used ten years ago, that was tdma, and gsm is actually a variation of tdma, cdma is based much differently and is a slightly more recent technology. In truth cingular and most other gsm companies are looking into wcdma in the future. As for realistic coverages, none of them are acurate, they all include there own coverage plus roaming partners coverage and all have a tendency to fill the spaces on there maps, thats why every brochure states this is not a guarantee of coverage. The one thats best is what works where you need it to work and sometimes its best guess or trial and error.
mw717

Jun 2, 2006, 12:28 PM
Those Verizon customers in vacationers paradise Montana are roaming on Alltel's network anyway. Albeit rural or "one-bar", GSM companies haven't even touched many non-metropolitan areas thus you have NO service whatsoever.

GSM technology was deployed in 1991 and CDMA in 1995. Both technologies were developed in the 80's and one is indeed inferior to the other. CDMA by design has a longer range (10 mi.) compared to GSM's 3-4 mile range. By default, companies like Verizon, Alltel and US Cellular will have better coverage because they have roaming agreements with cell companies that have sites in East Bufu Montana. Most of Montana's rural network was built in the 80's and 90's by Cellular One and MT&T Cellular, not Verizon. Yes Cingu...
(continues)
mw717

Jun 2, 2006, 12:33 PM
EDIT: montana is Verizon.
foneguy

Jun 27, 2006, 7:40 PM
...he asked between Verizon and Cingular. The answer between those two would be Verizon.

Interesting points to be made for GSM humpers:

If you check the glossary over there on the left
renardlee

Nov 15, 2006, 7:08 PM
A gsm tower can push a signal up to 22 miles.
Stevew1545

Oct 12, 2006, 8:47 PM
Who owns Alltel?
liquifiedgr00ve

May 30, 2006, 7:13 PM
actually verizon doesn't claim to have the largest anything. we concede that when cingular and at&t combined that we didn't have the largest anything. we do offer the "best and most reliable network"
Protege

May 31, 2006, 9:24 AM
allstarmatt614 said:

Verizon has the biggest subscriber base that's why they always boast "the network" because their "in" network is the biggest mobile to mobile although, like its coverage, does not always work depending on who you are calling and where they are located.

T-mobile, I may be wrong, but I thought was the only company to offer service to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands at no charge. However, I didn't look to much into that.

Verizon does NOT have the biggest subscriber base.

Cingular offers service in PR.

You dont know what you are talking about. ๐Ÿ™‚
Anxiovert

Jun 25, 2006, 3:34 PM
allstarmatt614 said:
Verizon has the biggest subscriber base that's why they always boast "the network" because their "in" network is the biggest mobile to mobile although, like its coverage, does not always work depending on who you are calling and where they are located.

๐Ÿ˜ณ WTF??? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
You kids need to put down the crack pipe!
CellAll.org

Jul 13, 2006, 12:19 PM
Just came back from Carolina, puerto rico and my SPRINT sanyo 8300 had no problems. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
blusdrmr

Mar 29, 2007, 11:28 AM
SunCom has coverage in those areas as well without roaming, LD or calls to that area.
yodude

Apr 24, 2007, 7:41 PM
Verizon also has coverage and considers the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as part of the United States, so no extra charge per minute for roaming or long distance.
esr98rs

Jul 10, 2006, 11:18 AM
i had verizon and now i have cingular, my coverage is much better i have 10Mill more M2M rollover so if i go over 100 min my bill does not go 45$ over, i can go any where in the world...i can keep on going if i wanted too but cingular is the best..oh hold...ill switch back to verizon when they have 3G...oh that will be never just like they will never have GSM...but i will give it to them they r better than allele
meemeebee

Oct 13, 2006, 7:57 AM
I know sprint is no good. I have truckers in my family and i can not have a normal conversation w/my grandfather every 1-2 minutes drops the call
tyheon

Mar 20, 2006, 4:06 PM
Correction - Cingular DOES offer the same "personal coverage check". It's called the MTI Map tool, ask any corporate store rep to show you the coverage.
Crapbag

Jun 28, 2006, 8:04 PM
BS i pull up an up to date cingular map through our sales portal on a daily basis. This map shows me tower locations, tower type(att vs cing), and coverage offered.
tennessee31

Aug 1, 2006, 7:33 PM
bm2k_83 said:
Also T-mobile has service in MT unless you dont think Billings, Great Falls, Helena, or Missoula cities are in MT.

No GSM carrier has service in Montana. You might be able to get a signal with a Cingular or T-Mobile phone in Montana (I could, when I had a Cingular phone), but this is roaming coverage only. For Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, or any other carrier, a native coverage map is going to look much different than the national coverage maps (which include areas where roaming agreements with other carriers are in place).
ANGspek06

Aug 29, 2006, 10:20 AM
I hate to burst your bubble, but T-Mobile is not the only carrier who has a PCC map to check on the coverage for specific street addresses. Cingular has two different map tools that are set up the same way as T-Mobile's PCC tool. I used to work for T-Mobile too...just thought I would point that out. ๐Ÿ˜‰
xtra_ordnary

Oct 30, 2006, 10:19 AM
well..... now sprint also has tht, budddy!!
AudiSport

Jan 18, 2007, 5:12 PM
bm2k_83 said:
You are all nutz. Neither company can give a realiable depiction of their coverage map. T-Mobile with the Personal coverage check map (PCC) is the only current carrier that can pull up street level converage and tell you what type of service you should expect on the network. Also T-mobile has service in MT unless you dont think Billings, Great Falls, Helena, or Missoula cities are in MT.

Ummmm... cingular can pull up a street level coverage map, tell me a street and i'll tell you the coverage, two cingular has roaming agreements with t-mobile so they can use t-mobile towers as well if they don't have service in that area, cingular has 60 million customers and counting, more than anyone else...
(continues)
Jon_Doh

Jan 19, 2007, 9:10 AM
Verizon has great coverage but their coverage map is b.s. They show blanket coverage where there are no cell phone towers from any company. They need to be truthful and admit where they're lacking coverage. It's bad enough that a good bit of their coverage is patched together from other carriers.
jjgreene

Mar 25, 2007, 6:40 PM
u think they're bad, check out Sprint's coverage map and you'll laugh too.
supermep

Feb 24, 2007, 1:33 PM
Um... Cingular has the same mapping tool. It's called MTI Map Tool. It can pull up street by street information on how good your reception will be.

In all honestity, Cingular has GREAT coverage in major cities like Phoenix, LA etc. But when you get out in the boondocks all the time your going to want something like Verizon or Alltel.
blondestarchic

Oct 14, 2006, 10:25 AM
Verizon does have the largest coverage area and more towers than any other company.

Also look at which provider has always had signal during natural disasters and other such things..katrina and wild fires...verizon was the ONLY company still working during these events..because of their towers and other such things.
JAnthon88

Jan 17, 2007, 11:44 AM
Verizon has a series of mobile cell sites that they can set up in the event of a disaster.

They have 75,000 drivers that log 250,000 miles each QUARTER making test voice and data calls to ensure their network is the best.

They also offer a VZMAPS tool on their website. You may have to do some searching, but you'll find it.
PRPKonstatine

Feb 23, 2007, 10:16 AM
Is that why all the katrina workers had nexte phones?????
lorna

Jul 10, 2005, 12:02 PM
Holy smoke! If this is true, then it's another example of how a company can lie, scheme, cheat, and deceive. (In this case, Verizon.) If they truly report service where only one var is showing on the phone, that's equivalent to saying that you have a car because you have four wheels and a carburetor.

I am still peeved that Verizon forces people to pay for services that are necessitated by the cell phone being disabled/"crippled" in its various capabilities.

-Lorna
theyellowdart

Jul 29, 2006, 12:27 PM
lorna said:
Holy smoke! If this is true, then it's another example of how a company can lie, scheme, cheat, and deceive. (In this case, Verizon.) If they truly report service where only one var is showing on the phone, that's equivalent to saying that you have a car because you have four wheels and a carburetor.

What are you smoking? ๐Ÿคจ That is one of the worst analogies I have ever heard. One bar means you can still make a call. One bar means there is coverage. Not to say that I think that is the best way to create a map, but come one. I expect that I can make a call in the areas that say so. Who gives a sheet whether my bar indicator is at 1 or 4. That often doesn't even directly correlate to ca...
(continues)
dkhound

Aug 31, 2005, 1:27 PM
It's not about GSM or CDMA it holds no truth and it not how many customers that you have. Over all its the service. Does it work in all the states not just a 20 mile stretch. Cingular buys roaming agreements and in the Midwest its Sprint and Sprint sucks here. Cingular tells people that have coverage but they don't. Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming are heavily traveled areas you would know that if you got out much. I have been every where and Verizon is buy far the best they pair with the best. So stop talking about GSM and CDMA look to see how many towers are out.
Vox Dei

Aug 31, 2005, 4:41 PM
That's funny. If you want to see who has the most towers then Cingular wins hands down. They have almost twice as many GSM towers as Verizon has CDMA towers ๐Ÿ˜›
VZW429

Aug 4, 2006, 11:06 AM
thats beacuse gsm doesnt travel as far as cdma so that means verizon needs less,

ignorance ๐Ÿ™„
guido1869

Apr 3, 2006, 12:21 PM
cingulars map shows future coverage mixed in with current coverage, very misleading
liquifiedgr00ve

May 30, 2006, 7:08 PM
in response to the "one bar" comment that's because it doesn't matter if you have 1 bar or full signal the call quality doesn't suffer on a CDMA network.
Stevew1545

Oct 12, 2006, 8:44 PM
Do you even know the difference between the GSM netwrok and the CDMA network?
meemeebee

Oct 13, 2006, 7:50 AM
Good Job.. I use to be w/ verizon i didnt like verizon. I take cingular calls for the insurance and customers tell me all the time that they've been w/ verizon, sprint whatever and that cingular has the best coverage and customer service! And i am not a cingular rep i just work w/ them i am a future customer
bdizzle

Mar 28, 2007, 9:28 PM
I used to think like you when I worked for Cingular, but now that I have verizon my eyes have opened. I thought it was normal to have to repeat your self multiple times on a cell phone, or ask whoever you are talking to to repeat them selves. I was wrong!

I have had 30 plus cingular phones, they all sound scratchy and drop calls for no reason. I am using one of the most basic Verizon phones and the reception and call quality is tremendous
THE BOX

Mar 28, 2007, 9:36 PM
year and a half old thread nice
ps ive had verizon and cingulars call quality is far better
operagirl25

Apr 4, 2007, 4:21 PM
Sorry....you're wrong. I worked for Cingular. They used TDMA. One step behind CDMA. and it was 4 years ago, not ten. With GSM you have to be w/in 7 to 10 airmiles of a tower to pick up a signal. With CDMA, you have to be w/in 20 airmiles. I think Cingular is a great product! They have great phones, and I was part of the DCS market(first GSM market) their clarity is GREAT if you're close to a tower, but we've come a loooong way man.....and we are kicking a** when it comes to coverage and clarity. Pull up JD Powers....or Consumer Reports......Or Elec. Monthly......
lorna

Jul 10, 2005, 11:57 AM
simplymarcus said:
Who cares about Montana

I do, and I live in Southern California. Knowing about Montana might be an indicator of how Cingular misses coverage in other out -of-the-way areas. It also becomes meaningful if one intends to travel to or near Montana.

Every isolated bit of information that a person receives is put onto a blank canvas and after a while that blank canvas can either be all filled in with what earlier were disparate bits of disconnected info or it can be blank because each individual bit of info was discarded.

When you see the entire canvas, what earlier seemed like individual bits of useless information forms a cohesive whole which can be informative.

Having said that...
(continues)
meemeebee

Oct 13, 2006, 7:42 AM
๐Ÿคฃ
s0lrac

Apr 3, 2006, 1:53 PM
actually, alltel covers more of the country than any other carrier... it says so right here:

http://www.alltel.com/corporate/media/news/06/feb/n4 ... » ...

btw, i found this on phonescoop in Feb, '06...
Jennyboo

May 18, 2006, 6:07 PM
I guess I don't really understand why it matters so much who has the largest coverage, from a consumer stand point I would base it off who works the best where I need it to. In this area Sprint is amazing and Cingular is absolutely horrendous even though on the map it says it's completely covered, but in other areas I'm sure Cingular would be a better solution.

All maps are just depictions of coverage, usually in fine print on the maps it will say this. Nobody will have perfect service everywhere the map says it will.
operagirl25

Apr 4, 2007, 4:24 PM
I think they just wanted to know between Verizon and Cingular. Actually, I think they just wanted to cause a long argument....lol
rickyhansen5

May 23, 2006, 3:48 PM
Ha Ha! I totally agree with you! The same thing goes on in Michigan. There is no one with exception to Alltel that has good coverage in Michigan other than Verizon. Even then if you have Alltel your calls are dropped 50% of the time up here. It is horrible. I have been to 32 states in the past 3 months and have not had a problem with Verizon at all. Maybe at the Grand Canyon, but it is a mile and a half hole in the ground! LOL. Go Verizon!
Cellinovation

Aug 20, 2006, 2:24 PM
The reason that your calls are dropping in Michigan is that per the Roaming agreement signed between Verizon and Alltel, Alltels customers have first priority to call space on the network. Being a Verizon customer if you are on a call and an Alltel customer needs your call space to place a call you will get dropped. This is also the reason you probably get alot of "all circuts busy" errors in Northern Michigan. This however does not reciprocate to Alltel when they make use of Verizons network in other states.
QUICKWHITT

May 30, 2006, 11:31 AM
๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
I sell them all... and in reality who cares who has the largest coverage area because coverage is only expanding in podunk rural communities anyway. lets talk overall performance and T-mobile wins hands down.... read JD power & Assoc.
suebatlunch

Jun 11, 2006, 3:51 PM
I am so sorry to have to tell you this but in most states in the U.S. T=Mobile is piggybacking on the back of the Cingular network. Sure about 4 years ago that might have been true but we have turned tdma into gsm and sold part of our gsm 1900 mghz to t-mobile. We still retain the ATT and our network nearly everywhere in the country.

Still not saying that in MT Verizon is not working better. Probably NS, SD, ID, and WY but we are working on it.
cellular_student

Jul 10, 2006, 10:16 PM
[quote]read JD power & Assoc.[/quote]
Pslim77

Aug 4, 2006, 12:38 PM
You read it. T mobile has the worst voice coverage ever.
Stevew1545

Oct 12, 2006, 8:57 PM
Read Consumer Reports they don't agree with you or JD Power....
tiffhawk01

Jan 16, 2007, 6:13 PM
When it comes down to it - it depends on where you live & where you travel. There's cell phones and they use airwaves, and NO ONE is 100%. Where we live Cingular is better in coverage than Verizon - where my sister lives not four hours away, Verizon is better than Cingular. It all has to do with where "they" think the most popular areas are & then up goes their cell tower.
travi6047

Feb 20, 2007, 8:37 PM
Neither if you are talking about network size. Alltel Wireless has the largest network coverage. Oh and FYI to all of you, where ever Verizon Wireless has coverage, Alltel has it and vice-a-verse-a. If you are talking about subcribers, then it is Cingular by far!
robposs

Feb 23, 2007, 7:19 PM
VERIZON!!! Can you hear me now?
sprint_guy

Mar 25, 2007, 4:08 PM
sprint
Webb

Apr 6, 2007, 12:41 PM
Cheerfully conceded that Montana remains the undisputed domain of CDMA (and perhaps the largest surviving concentration of analog carriers). Cingular does not actually hold any licenses to deliver service in Montana, and any coverage available in the state is going to be by virtue of local roaming partners - little regional outfits who probably don't have GSM deployed everywhere on their networks as of yet.

As to wether or not large numbers of California customers will desert Cingular for Verizon by virtue of Montana remains debateable. Most California customers do the vast majority of their usage in California itself, and I get no shortage of customer testimonials that in the major markets, Cingular provides superior service. The other d...
(continues)
becky7113

May 26, 2005, 10:30 AM
50 million
frankiewawa

Jul 7, 2005, 9:41 AM
moron... verizon > cingular with coverage. cingular only reason they have more people is because they bought ATT. otherwise... verizon owns. and for every person that leaves verizon, 4 come on. nice lil fact..
lorna

Jul 10, 2005, 12:12 PM
frankiewawa said:

moron... verizon > cingular with coverage. cingular only reason they have more people is because they bought ATT. otherwise... verizon owns. and for every person that leaves verizon, 4 come on. nice lil fact..

You could have left the "Moron" out of your message. The other part was what matters and what leads the conversation on.

Some people knew about Cingular vs Verizon coverage in 2004. Some learned it in January '05. Some don't know it now but will find out tomorrow. So, does this make all of them morons until that point in time in which they learn it? Are you a moron about the things that you don't yet know?

-Lorna
rickyhansen5

May 23, 2006, 3:45 PM
I totally agree. I just got done with a 32 state cross-country trip with a friend that had another carrier other than Verizon. The trip ended up being one big mess because the person that did not have Verizon could not get ahold of me (Verizon User) because they had no reception anywhere. We got down to Arizona and quickly got another phone with Verizon. The best part....NO ROAMING...and GREAT COVERAGE!
heartsong

Aug 15, 2006, 10:32 AM
this is an age old question..and until everyone buys everyone else the and everyone owns everyone else this question is going to be asked forever..its pretty much choice..why not try them both out in your area..both have a trial period where your not stuck in contract..the companies each own towers in different areas so its basically a matter of where you live..and if both companies are in your area..quit whining and go with who has the type of phone you like to look at.. ๐Ÿ˜
operagirl25

Apr 4, 2007, 4:16 PM
well, they didn't ask subscribers, they asked coverage....lol. Verizon!
bluetothebone

Apr 5, 2007, 8:57 PM
61 million.....actually....100 mil on the att unity plan
EliteSoja

Mar 7, 2005, 10:37 PM
SORRY Misunderstood your question. Well cingular is the largest cell company but you know Verizon, Cingular, and Sprint all say they have the largest coverage in America so I dont know what to tell ya...............
eddybabyhd

Mar 8, 2005, 1:43 PM
Cingular has the largest coverage and the largest customer base by far...as of the 1st quarter 2005 standing with 49 million subscribers...and the largest network...Verizon and Sprint would love to be the first...but no longer
thejason

Mar 8, 2005, 2:31 PM
if you're referring to customer base, yes, cingular is the largest. as far as coverage area, it's most difinately verizon. cingular lacks quite a bit on the west coast
zjc2a

Mar 8, 2005, 2:59 PM
Verizon includes analog in its network maps usually. If you look at the Verizon data map or where all the features work (wireless internet, MMS, SMS); this is there digital coverage area, leaves something to be desired.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorCo ... »

The link above is the coverage locator and look at the enhanced services map, really sad

Cingular on the other hand only shows their all digital coverage.

http://onlinestoree.cingular.com/html/Maps/nation_GS ... »

I hope that explain things a bit.

T-mobile and spirit include anywhere in the city or interstates.

-Z
speedywalk

Mar 8, 2005, 3:30 PM
If you're going to base your info off that type access, then the largest coverage area for any carrier is ALLTEL. They allow mobile-to-mobile from anywhere in your home calling area (whether total freedon, national freedom, or greater freedom coverage areas), as well as any axess (their internet features) from the same area, as well as their push-to-talk features! In other words, their entire feature selection is available from their entire coverage map!

Speedywalk
"It ain't broke, it just needs duct tape!"
Disciple247365

Mar 8, 2005, 6:02 PM
But you forget to mention that their "entire coverage map" includes all of their "partners". This means that when you look at a nationwide map for Alltel, you're looking at where they anticipate that you would be able to roam using any other company's network as well. If they showed you a nationwide map that only showed the acutal Alltel towers, then they would be severely lacking. Also - if you look at the fine print, you'll see that if you continually use the majority of your minutes on another carrier's network, then Alltel can (understandably so) discontinue your service (as it will be costing them way too much $). So you do actually need to be living/working in an area where Alltel towers exist.

Bottom line: Alltel can't reall...
(continues)
speedywalk

Mar 8, 2005, 6:16 PM
Well, the other is that you have to be in their POP (point of presence) to even have the service offered. That's why you can't get their coverage in 17 states, but you can get reliable service coverage in all 50 of them. Not trying to start a flame war, just pointing out small details.

Just read my reply to the original comment and you'll understand the whole thing!

Speedywalk
"It ain't broke, it just needs duct tape!"
Disciple247365

Mar 8, 2005, 7:34 PM
I'm not starting a flame war over this. ๐Ÿ˜‰
I see your point. I think our posts actually support one another. ๐Ÿ™‚
SellFone

Mar 12, 2005, 11:11 AM
You can't compare Verizon's national enhanced areas to their America's Choice coverage maps. Verizon still has the best overall coverage with the fewest dropped calls. Yes, cingular has the largest customer base for the time being. I do, however, see Verizon becoming #1 again in overall customers over the next year. Now that we introduced new rate plans that offer more minutes, no roaming, and cheaper share plans. Verizon wants the #1 position back. ๐Ÿ™‚

SellFone
muchdrama

Mar 12, 2005, 6:03 PM
I do, however, see Verizon becoming #1 again in overall customers over the next year. Now that we introduced new rate plans that offer more minutes, no roaming, and cheaper share plans. Verizon wants the #1 position back. ๐Ÿ™‚

SellFone
You're right about Verizon offering the largest coverage area when you factor in their analog areas...but their digital coverage is actually smaller than Cingular's. Also, if Cingular keeps adding subs at the rate they did last quarter...it could be a while before Verizon regains the top spot...if they ever do.
lil_lara

Apr 26, 2005, 5:53 PM
its a tie- I work for virizon but I used to have cingular- I have no problems with either of them.
LUCK-o-IRISH

May 4, 2005, 6:54 AM
Besides Cingular doesnt deserve any of this.
ATT did the work Cingular took the credit.
texaswireless

Mar 19, 2005, 6:41 PM
OK, that answer was a bit loaded.

"Now that WE"?

I had run stores for a national company for the past decade and current they sell both Cingular and Verizon (exclusively but in separate parts of the country). Verizon has better coverage than Cingular is certain parts of the country, while Cingular is better in others. In most of Texas for example, Cingular dominates (where Verizon is mainly PCS). In most of CA (where Cingular only first deployed services as Pacific Bell Wireless in 199๐Ÿ˜Ž Verizon dominates. Cingular is now using the AT&T Network (cellular) they purchased which has substantially better coverage than their old network (PCS, they sold that one to T-Mobile). Cingular is also improving in NY as they are now using the AT...
(continues)
Anpuset

Jun 15, 2005, 7:06 PM
This post says it all. I totally agree with it.
digitaldog

Mar 20, 2006, 6:21 PM
At last, an intellegent response! Thank you Texaswireless!
jerrydock

Apr 6, 2005, 3:21 PM
I take "coverage" to mean, "Where will my phone work?" If you use that definition it depends on the system and the PHONE.

I work for SunCom and carry a GSM Nokia 6820. It gets excellent GSM service; but not as good as the Nokia 3620...NO GSM PHONE GETS THE RECEPTION OF A NOKIA 3620....NONE.

Having said that, my "coverage" is better with the analog phone in my Land Rover, which is activated with Alltel. Someone had the vehicle before me and boosted it from 3 1/2 watts to 5 watts. It has a 8 db gain roof mounted antenna. There is no such thing as "no service" with this unit. My farm is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC; my Nokia is just a paperweight there. My Land Rover works anywhere.
LUCK-o-IRISH

May 4, 2005, 6:56 AM
but still where you live is where you live
if you live on the east coast and in the plains alltel is the best bar none
LUCK-o-IRISH

May 4, 2005, 6:53 AM
Alltel is number 1! ......... someday

Oh and dont forget GSM sounds like crap.
Talk on an Alltel/Verizon phone and its stable clear and efficent
Talk on a CIngular/Tmobile phone and its choppy and has an echo
daddydogg_00

Jun 15, 2005, 10:19 PM
Also after the Western Wireless purchase is finished Alltel will have the largest coverage area in terms of Miles beating out even Verizon they just do not have their own coverage in as many major markets so you do not think of them.
shadedpain4

Jun 16, 2005, 8:49 AM
But isnt Alltel a regional carrier that isnt even available nationwide?

I know if you have alltel you can get a signal and use your service nationwide, but arent there plenty of places that dont offer Alltel service?
uNt0uChAbLe

Jun 16, 2005, 12:50 PM
Alltel roams off of Verizon towers and vice versa for nationwide coverage. They do offer nationwide plans.
smokey

Feb 28, 2006, 11:22 AM
Can only speak to issue of coverage in South Carolina. Alltel provides the best and most reliable service for use in ALL of South Carolina. A large number of state government agencies that must depend on a carrier to provide critical service ( forest fire, law enforcement and public service) have either switched to or have been using Alltel service. Having conducted tests throughout the state one agency is sure Alltel provides the most reliable and AVAILABLE service. I mean in parts of the state OTHER than the Interstate highway system.

Wonld not consider but one other carrier (Verizon). But their inflexiblilty of not really offering competitive pricing and the option through Alltel to have nights start at 7:00PM instead of 9:00PM causes...
(continues)
operagirl25

Apr 24, 2007, 5:12 PM
can't get alltel in indianapolis or surrounding areas. just wanted to give someone a heads up. ๐Ÿ˜
lorna

Jul 10, 2005, 12:17 PM
I a wondering about the coverage Sprint will have after it merges with Nextel. Any ideas? Will it equal Cingular? Verizon? -Lorna
simplymarcus

Jul 10, 2005, 1:44 PM
No
Rathrok

Jul 10, 2005, 2:45 PM
And you know this how? ๐Ÿ™„
smd

Jul 10, 2005, 3:18 PM
There won't be any over night change, as nextel uses IDEN and sprint uses CDMA.
phoneexpert12345

Jul 11, 2005, 9:38 AM
No one will ever have the quality sevice that Cingular has, nor will they have the coverage area. Finally, no one will have the data coverage that Cingular has
WirelessLeo

Mar 25, 2006, 3:46 PM
That is actually incorrect somewhat. what alot of u r missing is this. All the major cellular companies have some kind agreement with another. For example take a look at a Cingular map for the state of Michigan. It show s that it has all this great coverage but in actuality it does not. Once past Saginaw going north of Detroit and past Grand Rapids going West of Detroit the actual Cingular coverage ends and they use another GSM carrier. What Verizon shows on there coverage maps if you have seen the brochures is an all red area and another map is orange spotty coverage...the orange spotty coverage is not the only place Verizon has service it's just where they own there new enhanced service towers EVDO etc. The combination of Verizon, Al...
(continues)
OB1J3D1

Jun 23, 2006, 1:28 PM
Well said. Who cares if your network is the largest or best when you cant make a call from your own living room. ๐Ÿ˜
alternals

May 19, 2006, 1:55 PM
the enhanced area of verizon shows the 1x areas that they personaly own and operate. The cingular map shows roaming partners, not what cingular owns by itself. And gsm is all digital but not everywhere on the map cingualr shows includes an area where gprs is available.
LUCK-o-IRISH

May 4, 2005, 6:48 AM
How do you figure Cingular has the largest coverage area? If anything they are on par with Verizon.
jmac32here

Mar 26, 2007, 4:04 PM
Darling, its 2007...you are 2 years behind.

According to the latest infomration on each carriers site Sprint ranks #1 in coverage.

Sprint covers 295 Million people
Cingular covers 270 Million
T-Mobile covers 265 Million
Verizon covers 255 Million

Also coverage and subscriber base are totally different..
Cingular(at&t) has 61 Million Subscribers
Verizon Wireless has 59.1 Million
Sprint has 53.1 Million
T-Mobile has 25 Million
(According to year end reports for 2006)

All the information can be found and compared side by side on the left panel of www.drakoswr.tk
ralph_on_me

Mar 26, 2007, 4:06 PM
POP coverage is also different than physical coverage. There are many many ways for each carrier to play word games.
speedywalk

Mar 8, 2005, 2:58 PM
Ok. Here's the skinny:

Cingular: Largest GSM network nation wide. Also has 46 million customers.

Sprint: Largest "All Digital All PCS" network. To understand this claim, remember that the PCS frequency is 1900 Mhz. What this means is that an "all PCS" network is all 1900 Mhz. So their claim that they have the largest ALL PCS network is true, since most carriers favor the 800/50 MHz spectrum as well.

Verizon/ALLTEL: Their claim is based solely on coverage area. This is a claim that nobody can dispute. What it means is, their network or a roaming partner's network, you still have service in nearly all of the land mass of the contiguous 48 states.

Basically what I'm saying is this:

They are all correct. It matters in what...
(continues)
Disciple247365

Mar 8, 2005, 6:03 PM
I must wonder if you are actually trying to incite a flame war by asking such a question that has been so heatedly debated in so many forums on this website... (???)

๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜ณ
VZWdawg

Mar 8, 2005, 10:29 PM
In truth, the person who stated that Cingular has the largest customer base (48mil+ compared to 43.9mil for Verizon) and Verizon the largest actual network coverage area was correct. The fact that Cingular acquired ATT and, in doing so, created the largest customer base would be of little concern to me as a potential customer. The fact that Verizon can offer me reception while traveling through the "boonies" is by far more important. Just my personal opion/bias there, but it only seems logical. ๐Ÿ™‚
wri0010

Mar 9, 2005, 9:45 AM
You Verizon people keep saying that the only way Cingular got so big was because they bought AT&T, but I think many of you fail to remember how Verizon was formed. I beleive it was 3, or maybe 4 companies getting together.

People make a big deal about coverage, and yes it is important, but one specific carrier isnt what is right for each person. I get people all the time that complain they are getting dropped calls and bad coverage with every carrier, even Verizon. If you are looking for a new carrier, check coverage maps where you live, work, and play and try out the trail periods of the carriers.

I wish one day we wont have to argue with each other because our coverage will look like some of our European counter parts. Even though...
(continues)
VZWdawg

Mar 9, 2005, 11:10 AM
๐Ÿ™‚ Don't get me wrong wri, I do agree with your point. People do need to select the coverage and service options that best suit their needs on an individual basis. My wife and I had Cingular for 6 years and are still finishing out the remainder of our last contract, but, in our area, Verizon definitely has the edge in coverage...even after the ATT acquisition and this is pretty much true across the board. Cingular is still VERY good. The rest don't do well here...in fact, Sprint doesn't even pick up in half the city. Nonetheless, your point is still quite valid.
alternals

May 19, 2006, 2:18 PM
one day it will all be one company anyways, lol

cing-rizon-tel
kountryjentleman

Mar 9, 2005, 7:42 PM
ok im the original poster. im should have made a more accurate question. on a national level, who has more coverage in more places, cingular w/att or vzw?
VZWdawg

Mar 9, 2005, 8:34 PM
Based on actual coverage (i.e. places where you can make and receive calls to anyone regardless of their carrier, etc.), your answer is VZW. Cingular also has great coverage...in fact the difference in most areas is relatively insignificant, however the answer remains the same. Again, you have to keep in mind that we are not talking about customer base. Cingular carefully words their ads to say the "largest calling network" meaning that based on their customer numbers, you would have the largest number of people to connect with (presumeably with free mobile-to-mobile). In their ads, the word "network" is referring to their network of customers, not their actual coverage area. However, unless you actually call 48 million people, it really...
(continues)
verizonmatt

Mar 17, 2005, 9:29 PM
VERIZON WIRELESS HAS THE LARGEST VOICE CALLING NETWORK IN THE US!! HANDS DOWN! TO ALL WHO THINKS VERIZON IS ALL ANALOG CHECK THE MAP AGAIN! THE RED AREA IS ALL DIGITAL AREA, BUT WITH VERZION YOU ALSO HAVE ANALOG AVALABILITY WHICH MEANS WHEN YOU ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE YOU HAVE ANALOG OPTION!! THE PINK AREA OF VERIZON MAP IS ANALOG RATE AREA!!! THE GOLD MAP IS VERIZONS DIGITAL COVERAGE AREA AND WHERE ALL DIGITAL ENHANCED FEATURES ARE GURANTEED TO WORK! THEY GENERALLY WORK IN THE ALL RED AREA THOUGH I HAVE GOOD LUCK WITH IT! VERIZON ALSO HAS EVDO TECHNOLOGY WHICH IS EVOLUTION DATA OPTIMIZED WHICH IS THE FASTEST WIDE AREA BROADBAND TECHNOLOGY AVALIABLE! ALSO AT THE RATE THEY ARE BUYING SPECTRUM AND NETWORK ASSETS UP ITS NOT GONNA BE...
(continues)
Grantizzle

Mar 17, 2005, 9:49 PM
take your caps off. no need to shout. we can read.
lil_lara

Apr 26, 2005, 5:59 PM
Okay virizon matt I work for them too-

you only get analog service with a tri mode phone- which narrows down your options- vzw does have very good coverage- I just think my phone sucks... but oh ye well-

I still say its a tie- cingular is very good, vzw is also very good.
VZWdawg

Apr 26, 2005, 6:18 PM
not sure if i'm just misunderstanding you lara, but tri-mode phones pick up on 800mhz DIGITAL 1900mhz DIGITAL, AND 800mhz analog as a back-up source (hence, TRI-mode). the way you stated your remark leads me to believe you are somehow under the impression that you can only receive analog signals with a tri-mode phone (which is incorrect). pardon me, though, if i misunderstood your statement. ๐Ÿ™‚
klockk

Jun 7, 2005, 12:32 AM
Restate that again...

I have been looking at Verizon, and it *LOOKS* like if I want to be able to take advantage of the Analog converage area, I need a Dual Band/TRI Mode phone...

I have been a loyal Samsung Phone user, and it looks like all the Samsung (Camera Phones) are Digital Only...
ihatecellular

Mar 10, 2005, 4:31 PM
the truth is that cinfular has the largest all digital network which mean for people who need to text message and be on the internet via their phones cingular is the best. Verizon on the other hand has the largest voice network which means more people can use their phone as a phone. So which is more important?
texaswireless

Mar 19, 2005, 6:48 PM
ihatecellular said:
the truth is that cinfular has the largest all digital network which mean for people who need to text message and be on the internet via their phones cingular is the best. Verizon on the other hand has the largest voice network which means more people can use their phone as a phone. So which is more important?

That statement has no basis in fact. Ignorance in the industry is one reason why Wireless companies rank so low in customer satisfaction. Please pass on truthful information to potetial customers.
silvabullit

Mar 31, 2005, 4:10 PM
how is that not true mr.knowitall?
texaswireless

Mar 31, 2005, 4:22 PM
How about you do some research on the FCC website, www.fcc.gov. Look up who has the most licenses and pops covered.

I am not saying Verizon or Cingular is better, but it definately has to do with where you travel and where you live. If you want to read my earlier reply it gives a more specific answer.
ANS Mule

Jul 19, 2006, 12:25 AM
Okay, there are alot of different views right here, so heres the clear up. Sorry if I missed another relpy along these lines too. From a techincal stand point, Cingular has the largest footprint off all carriers in the US regarding voice and data. There was also a reply in here that said it was tmobile due to them having AT&Ts old towers, this is incorrect. Cingular bought AT&T wireless and utilizes its towers to its network. Cingular AT&T now run off the combined network. Tmobile is nice because it can roam off of cingular and vice versa where cingular isnt and tmobile is. But Cingular is the leading in US coverage.

As far as where towers are, yes, that can make a differance. Some companies will have towers where another might not. So o...
(continues)
Pslim77

Aug 4, 2006, 1:07 PM
That's a lie and that is why you are getting sued and that add no longer runs. In the long run cingular are crooks who force their customers to commit instead of giving them the option to leave as well. FCC abd BBB are going to have a field day with Cingular. I have a cingular store across the street from my store and when I check in on them they are playnig Wiffle ball in the showroom cause noone goes in there. The coverage map shows that there is full digital service in my state and the 2 neighboring states. there must be alot of weather and radio wave interferances cause noone seems to be able to make a call with a cingular phone unless they live in big city areas in these states. I alone do 4-10 ports a week from cingular and T-Moble and...
(continues)
Pslim77

Aug 4, 2006, 12:48 PM
Verizon has digtal service where it matters.
Who cares about largest digital network. How many people do you know that travel By greyhound that have a PDA. I don't know about you but anyone who can afford a PDA flies from city to city or has digital coverage surrounding them anyway.
silvabullit

Mar 30, 2005, 8:50 PM
einstein owns joo
DiceRoss27

Mar 31, 2005, 10:26 AM
Definatly Verizon, I know this for a fact, I have a boat on the Eastern Shore of maryland, and my verizon phone works great, And i also know other boaters who have Cingular, and they have lots of problems!
texaswireless

Mar 31, 2005, 2:49 PM
So because you have great coverage on the Eastern shore of Maryland means Verizon has the best nationwide coverge? Not likely.

Like I said in my first reply. It depends on where you live and where you need it. "Best" coverage nationwide is completely subjective.
pizpiz80

Mar 31, 2005, 3:55 PM
There isnt even a Cingular/AT&T store in the state i live in. ๐Ÿคฃ That at least counts for something.
stixandstones

Aug 19, 2006, 1:54 PM
theres not a verizon store where i live ๐Ÿคจ i fail to see your point..like everyone with half a clue has said..verizon will work in some areas and cingular will work in others..go with whats in your area..that will probably get you the best service for your needs..if both are in your area..get both use the trial periods and figure it out..post that if you feel the need. ๐Ÿ˜‰
en102

Apr 1, 2005, 1:21 AM
Need to be a little more specific on coverage... but here goes:

Largest voice coverage:
Verizon

Largest voice and data coverage:
Cingular
lanicusmaximus

Apr 7, 2005, 5:44 PM
So here's what I got from reading all of the posts:

Cingular and Verizon are both really awesome companies as far as coverage is concerned. If you look at the maps and compare them, the question of who has the best coverage is actually all opinion based. Honestly, I took a look at both of the maps and it's really hard to tell which company is showing what exactly (i.e. areas of roaming, future coverage from when the maps were printed or updated, etc.). "Best overall coverage" is really dependent on who you ask. I know people that live out in the "boonies" here and some love verizon because they're the only ones who get coverage at their house and will always say that Verizon is the best as far as coverage goes but the people I know that l...
(continues)
texaswireless

Apr 7, 2005, 5:51 PM
Actually you are right on with that simple thinking. Phone sales reps can often sound like politicians, thinking their carrier can satisfy everyone. It is much more healthy (and responsible) to view the situation on an individual basis. Some carriers work better than others in different areas. No carrier is THE BEST everywhere.
muchdrama

Apr 8, 2005, 8:38 AM
kountryjentleman said:
who has the most coverage, verizon or cingular?
If you add in analog coverage, Verizon has the largest network. If you're talking all digital, Cingular has the largest network.
kountryjentleman

Apr 8, 2005, 9:13 AM
let me just clarify. you cannot text message while roaming on analog turf?
muchdrama

Apr 8, 2005, 10:57 AM
kountryjentleman said:
let me just clarify. you cannot text message while roaming on analog turf?
Nope.
JohnnyRocket

Apr 11, 2005, 9:23 AM
This topic can be debated until we're all cyberized and can have cell conversations telepathically.

My experience in Middlesex County, MA is that I started on Verizon, left because of poor phone choices. Tried Cingular, which had terrible reception while driving through the boonies of Route 2. Tried T-Mobile, whose reception was "a little" better, but still was unusable in many places.

I'm back on Verizon and have 5 bars everywhere I go. I just have a crappy phone. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Samsung's i730 can't come fast enough...
jmc53

Apr 11, 2005, 10:06 AM
As long as you have coverage where you are, when you need it, the rest doesn't matter. If you live in CA and never go to Maine, then why would you care?

The caveat here is "most of the time", as no one will cover everywhere in the next few years. I hit a small town on the east side of Glacier last year and didn't have coverage, but since i'm only there a day every 10 years, it's not important.
EliteSoja

Apr 12, 2005, 7:56 AM
Good Point!!
insidescooppp

Apr 12, 2005, 12:14 PM
Sprint and Verizon and nearly dead locked for the nation wide coverage... difference is... Sprint literally built theres from the ground up... Verizon and Sprint pretty much share eachothers towers and network... so you can't say one is bigger than the other... One difference is though... is that Sprint is bringing out EVDO data which will run at an amazing 2.3 mb/sec.... That's faster than more land line cable, and DSL providers... no one will be able to touch them, and this will be out by the end of the year... Sprint is good on the business side... but the consumer side is still rough due to so much fraud.... Plus, GSM and Cingular/ATT are garbage... they sucker their subscribers into contracts... and completely suck ass... My suggestion...
(continues)
texaswireless

Apr 12, 2005, 12:33 PM
Hahahhahahhhahhhahhahahahahahhahahhahaha

Oh, I feel better now.
simplymarcus

Apr 12, 2005, 1:52 PM
Sprint and Nextel merger does not have the coverage verizon does so they are not deadlocked at all coverage wise. Sprints EVDO is fast but by the time that comes out CIngular/At&t will rollout HSPDA and that will be faster than EVDO. I am sorry to break it to u this way but Verizon and Cingular are the two top companies in wireless. And Sprint is not even in the same room as Verizon and Cingular. I am sorry to break the news 2 u and have a coke and a smile and shut up.
vzw_achiever

Apr 12, 2005, 2:39 PM
Yeah, but what's better, CDMA or GSM? ๐Ÿ™„
simplymarcus

Apr 12, 2005, 2:45 PM
They both are great technologies I think it is about even.
vzw_achiever

Apr 12, 2005, 3:00 PM
Jesus, I was kidding. The coverage/CDMA vs. GSM arguments are retarded.
simplymarcus

Apr 12, 2005, 3:18 PM
I know
insidescooppp

Apr 12, 2005, 4:29 PM
Apparently the Secret Service thinks CDMA is better.... since that's their choice and it provides the most security??
bigdaddyjay

Apr 12, 2005, 5:20 PM
Where did you get that the secret service thinks CDMA is better? I know someone in the SS and they carry a nextel for work, there was also the SS agent that was hacked into with T-Mobile service on a sidekick. Is there a report out there saying CDMA is preferred by them?
insidescooppp

Apr 12, 2005, 6:29 PM
One of Sprints largest accounts in the United States Government... they alone could probably keep the business side of Sprint afloat... almost all armed forces... because they have a program that attached toll free numbers to cell phones...and also provide phones for spouses as long as they are in coverage areas...
texaswireless

Apr 12, 2005, 8:57 PM
You must work for the CIA with all that misinformation you are spreading hehe.
Sara419

Apr 17, 2005, 6:31 PM
Since there's alot of talk of Cingular and Verizon. How does T-Mobile fit in?
kountryjentleman

Apr 29, 2005, 9:35 PM
original thread poster here-

i have tmo. the reason i started the thread is because i hate t-mobile because of coverage when i travel. i travel everywhere, including small towns. i never have service and if i do, it is very poor. however, i live in atlanta mainly, so that might count for something...
Sara419

Apr 30, 2005, 5:18 AM
So if the coverage in your area is that bad, are you planning on switching carriers? My experience with T-Mo was not good at the beginning. I had signed on in Dec. 2004. My area was out for the first two days I had the service. It happened again about two months ago. It's okay now. Every now and then when I talk, there's some kind of break up noise. I have up to the middle of December to decide whether to keep T-Mo or change carriers.
kountryjentleman

Apr 30, 2005, 9:12 AM
yup, its the reason i started the thread
Sara419

Apr 30, 2005, 6:05 PM
I agree to that! You and every consumer have the right to complain. ๐Ÿ˜ก
LUCK-o-IRISH

May 4, 2005, 7:14 AM
haha one thing VERIZON AND ALLTEL HAVE EV-DO ALSO
cingagent

May 4, 2005, 4:36 PM
If you think 2.3 mb/s is unbeatable, continue to read...14.4 by end 2006? take that sprint

Cingular and Lucent today announced the first successful data calls on Cingular's HSDPA test network in Atlanta, using Lucent equipment. The tests reached sustained data rates over 3 Mbps. Initial HSDPA devices will support 3.6 Mbps peak speeds. As faster devices are released, the network can ultimately deliver theoretical peak data speeds of up to 14.4 Mbps. HSDPA is an enhanced version of UMTS/WCDMA 3G technology. The trial network was first announced in May. Cingular has already contracted with Ericsson, Lucent, and Siemens to provide HSDPA network equipment that should be launched most major markets by the end of 2006.
bigdaddyjay

May 4, 2005, 7:38 PM
Don't soil your panties so fast. The test above was just over 3Mbps in a non congested market trial. If you read the post above the 14.4Mbps is possible in theory once faster devices are launched. Don't bet on that happening by the end of 2006, America is still slow in adopting 3G technology.

I have two laptops with EV DO Rev O cards in them and have seen Data speed up to 3.5 Mbps with compression software currently on the Chicago VZW network. In 2006 VZW will start trialing EV DO Rev A which will be faster that the current EV DO and will offer VOIP.

There seems to be a lot of Cingular followers claiming that HSDPA will rule the world but there aren't any customers even using it yet and as stated users here are slow to adopt th...
(continues)
dca

May 2, 2005, 12:04 PM
What's the difference?! Who cares which coverage is larger? Go with either. If you're that full up on T-Mo, either one of them is bound to be better and both of them have twice the coverage!!! Don't look at me, though, I'm a Nextel advocate which rides the same train as T-Mo when it comes to coverage. If I leave my city, I'm screwed.
LUCK-o-IRISH

May 4, 2005, 7:09 AM
I have tried every cell car. i could ATT, TMOBILE, NEW CINGULAR, ALLTEL, NEXTEL, SPRINT, AND VERIZON.

And I would say with out a doubt that GSM SUCKS HANDS DOWN

Call quality is horrible, but what do you expect from a cheap technology?

Alltel/Verizon are top chrystal clear, and cdma is a much better technology .... and commom you can't even compare EDGE to EV-DO

Sprint is clear .... but common they coverage sucks .... somthing about this 1900 only companies like sprint and tmobile ... when are they going to relize that 1900 only just isn't cutting it?
verizonmatt

May 20, 2005, 4:27 PM
I have tried all carriers as well! Verizon Wireless and Alltell do have the best sound quality and less dropped calls of any carrier. GSM does suck!! The sound is horrible and drops calls like thats what your paying for. If all cingular's customers would just try a cdma handset (not sprint) (vzw alltel) they would be shocked. I have a friend on cingular that lives in Charlotte NC and drops calls almost every time i talk to her. Last week when i went down and visited i asked her and her boyfriend to try my phone out around Charlotte for the day and well i guess you could say we went to the VZW store 3 hours later and ported both numbers over!!! I loved it because I have told them for two years how bad their phone service sucks, and it ...
(continues)
Punk0Rama

Jun 9, 2005, 10:53 PM
maybe CDMA is better at the moment in some areas, but at some point the technology will bite them in the butt. GSM is a superior network, but is currently lacking the coverage and tower support that is needed for the large GSM customer base. eventually, wireless providers will have two choices: migrate to gsm, or be left in the dust. CDMA just does not compare to GSM, both in data capabilites, wireless speed, variant frequency use, and general call quality capabilites. this is why GSM has been used everywhere else in the world since 1994.
mallow

Jun 14, 2005, 11:59 PM
garystacyclark

Jun 11, 2005, 5:04 PM
It's simple, look at the two maps, and compare. Verizon covers much more area. The Cingular loss rate is much higher than Verizon's a lot of people are switching from Cingular to Verizon. The digital quality is much better as well. Good luck!
SkillciaX

Jun 27, 2005, 10:29 AM
The truth of the matter is that Cingular is America's #1 company with ALL DIGITAL coverage (GSM) Verizon is composed of digital and Analog coverage. by 2006 Anolog towers will be gone and everything will convert over to GSM because the rest of the world uses GSM technology.

Aside of that with Sprints PCS network and roaming network combined have the largest US coverage of any carrier. They also use digital and analog towers similar to Verizon.

T-Mobile with less coverage is the only company that provides a tool on-line where you can check the coverage where you live down to the street u live on and how good the coverage is. and they cover 252 million ppl. ๐Ÿ˜‰
farthead

Jul 10, 2005, 3:19 PM
SkillciaX said:
The truth of the matter is that Cingular is America's #1 company with ALL DIGITAL coverage (GSM) Verizon is composed of digital and Analog coverage. by 2006 Anolog towers will be gone and everything will convert over to GSM because the rest of the world uses GSM technology.

Aside of that with Sprints PCS network and roaming network combined have the largest US coverage of any carrier. They also use digital and analog towers similar to Verizon.

T-Mobile with less coverage is the only company that provides a tool on-line where you can check the coverage where you live down to the street u live on and how good the coverage is. and they cover 252 million ppl. ๐Ÿ˜‰

your a idiot, your fa...
(continues)
truthbetold

Jul 10, 2005, 7:42 PM
cingular has the largest all over coverage in the sense that they have the largest calling AND data coverage, where the others might just have a generally large calling area.
SkillciaX

Jul 15, 2005, 8:21 AM
fired? lmao. All my co-workers and managers have been saying that Analag is going to start depleting by 2006, because it is not as good as signal as digital. I've been told by more ppl than just my co-workers about this.

I work at a phone store. I can't spread false information to customers... If u love analog so much then good for u, cause sooner or later it's not going to be around.

Other companies have on-line tools to determine coverage, but T-Mobile is the only one with an accurate Satellite signal coverage map.
TeoMan77

Jun 2, 2006, 2:00 PM
in regards to Analog being Phased Out... Yes this is true. The reason for this is despite Analog carrying a stronger signal, you can only hold one call and switcing between towers is a pain. Most of the phones that are being made now are will no longer be made tri-mode for that simple fact. The technology is outdated and digital networks are not only faster, more reliable but also more cost effective. Not just to cellular providers but cell phone manufacturers as well. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
JAnthon88

Jan 17, 2007, 1:02 PM
Gone by '06? Keep relaying that false information to customers. It's 2007 and analog signal still exists and Tri-Mode phones are still being produced. In the past 6 months, the Verizon lineup has expanded to include the W315 and 325i from Motorola, VX3400 and 3450 and 5300 from LG and the a870 from Samsung. All are tri-mode, so they can pick up the analog signal that STILL exists. It is of poorer quality and tends to eat battery more quickly as well as difficulty moving between towers. You'll sometimes hear a "click". Hope nobody digs up where you work and secret shops you so you spit out some of this. The lawsuit will look real nice. Hope you're with a direct store ๐Ÿ™‚
SkillciaX

Aug 17, 2006, 5:01 PM
farthead said:
SkillciaX said:

(continues)
wombough

Jan 17, 2007, 2:09 PM
The rest of the world is not just GSM. More and more are going to CDMA. There is over 36 countries on CDMA now!
QueenB4Cingular

Jun 15, 2005, 4:49 PM
At this point in time Cingular has the largest coverage area and subscriber base; making them the number one carrier in the United States. Do the statistics. Like or not they're NUMBER 1.
mallow

Jun 15, 2005, 5:53 PM
Cingular has dropped calls out the rear-end!
simplymarcus

Jun 15, 2005, 6:59 PM
That has not been my experience on cingular.
REDREP

Jul 10, 2005, 9:22 AM
Cingular, and actually we have 50 million customers..... so thats also the largest Mobile to Mobile calling group and it's FREE
everman

Jul 10, 2005, 11:44 AM
You guys should let this thread die cause guess what, you dont know the answer.

Cingular has the largest coverage....No wait, Verizon does.

Do you see how tiresome that is?

Verizon may have coverage where Cingular doesnt, and Cingular may have coverage where Verizon doesnt.

Surprise surprise.
jmc53

Jul 13, 2005, 12:49 PM
All that matters is that my phone works where I need it to when I need it to, within reasonable parameters. I don't expect it to work in large, steel structured buildings, basements, etc.

If I live in NY, why would I care about the coverage in the bottom of the Grand Canyon or North Dakota, only people who live there should care.
aemsafd

Jul 15, 2005, 10:49 AM
Who makes the best car? ITS A MATTER OF OPINION! I drive an F-150 with a V8 and 4WD, and would never anything but a Ford truck. Unfortunately, I'm lucky to get 12 mpg. It's a matter of opinion. Some people want fuel economy, or cargo space, or cheap, or 8 seat belts, etc. You don't sell one model of phone, right? You sell a variety of phones to meet the needs of varios customers.

Well, different wireless carriers work in different places. Find one that suits your needs and has a minimum amount of disadvantages. In the county where I work/live, Cingular is almost unheard of, they are just starting to put GSM towers along the major highways. I've talked to dozens of ATT customers who said that their TDMA phones got better servic...
(continues)
Buckock

Jul 15, 2005, 12:00 PM
Well put...this needs to be posted in all the carriers forums. I admnit ive joined in on a few discussions...flame wars. i realized, more than anything.... we wind up making our current providers look like asses in the short of it.
disco inferno

Mar 18, 2006, 8:16 PM
VERIZON!VERIZON!VERIZON!VERIZON!VERIZON!VERIZ ON!VERIZON!VERIZON!VERIZON!VERIZON!VERIZON!VE RIZON!VERIZON!VERIZON!VERIZON!VERIZON!VERIZON !VERIZON!VERIZON!VERIZON!

HANDS DOWN!
SPCSVZWJeff

Mar 20, 2006, 6:35 PM
We seem to be getting a lot of different answers to this question.
Nationwide Cingular owns more licenses than does Verizon so for that reason Cingular has more overall coverage.
Local markets are a different thing.
In our market Cingular has more coverage than anyone else. Verizon is a fairly distant second and Sprint a close third.
In the Metro to the south of me Verizon has most, Sprint second and Cingular third. In the two large Metros to the north of me, Sprint has the most, Verizon second and Cingular third. In the RSA's between the metros Verizon has no coverage of their own and roam on one of their partners. Cingular has unbroken coverage, but it isn't to the level of the Verizon roaming partners. Sprint has unbroken covrage as...
(continues)
s0lrac

Mar 27, 2006, 9:04 AM
actually, alltel covers more of the country than any other carrier... it says so right here:

http://www.alltel.com/corporate/media/news/06/feb/n4 ... »

btw, i found this on phonescoop in Feb, '06...
TeoMan77

Jun 2, 2006, 2:24 PM
yanno, i just think it's pretty funny that everyone goes by what thier websites state. People should really read Consumer Reports more often....
magellan

Jun 3, 2006, 9:30 PM
TeoMan77 said:
yanno, i just think it's pretty funny that everyone goes by what thier websites state. People should really read Consumer Reports more often....

Oh yeah, now there's an "unbiased" and "reliable" group ๐Ÿคฃ
dca

Jun 5, 2006, 12:28 PM
It says so, but if you look at the US coverage maps for Sprint & Alltel, they're identical. Just pretend the Sprint map is only two colors like Alltel's, not twenty colors indicating: analog roam, roaming w/ posicle stick as antennae, digital roaming, power vision, etc....
Protege

Jun 5, 2006, 2:34 PM
๐Ÿคจ
acipollo

Jun 8, 2006, 10:07 PM
Technically Sprint now, because their new plans have unlimited roaming on Verizons network(free), plus all of their towers that verizon can't use. Also, Cingular and Tmobile use the older and more obsolete technology for their phones(TDMA), that is what GSM really is.
Protege

Jun 9, 2006, 10:11 AM
GSM and TDMA are two different things!!!
I Work For STARBUCKS

Jul 11, 2006, 9:07 AM
The LANDLINE. I get unlimited nationwide long distance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week all for only 25 bucks a month. This package includes caller ID and call waiting features. So during the week I am gabbing it up while you all are having to say the same ol line: "Sorry I am out of minutes, I gotta go!"
burger_with_fries81

Jul 11, 2006, 11:54 AM
And the next time you are anywhere besides your home I might let you borrow a quarter for the payphone if you ask nicely.

Anyways how is this a rumor?
I Work For STARBUCKS

Jul 11, 2006, 5:51 PM
No need to ask you for a quarter. I have a prepaid account that I keep for emergency only.

This is a rumor because people have speculated about it, just like they speculate whether or not Britney Spears' boobs are real or fake.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eegie

wweeeeeegie weegie, wooo!
burger_with_fries81

Jul 12, 2006, 10:56 AM
My neighbor has the most reliable car ever! It's parked on cinder blocks in his back yard and I've never seen it break down once in the 10 years I've never seen it run...
ANS Mule

Jul 19, 2006, 12:26 AM
Okay, there are alot of different views right here, so heres the clear up. Sorry if I missed another relpy along these lines too. From a techincal stand point, Cingular has the largest footprint off all carriers in the US regarding voice and data. There was also a reply in here that said it was tmobile due to them having AT&Ts old towers, this is incorrect. Cingular bought AT&T wireless and utilizes its towers to its network. Cingular AT&T now run off the combined network. Tmobile is nice because it can roam off of cingular and vice versa where cingular isnt and tmobile is. But Cingular is the leading in US coverage.

As far as where towers are, yes, that can make a differance. Some companies will have towers where another might not. So o...
(continues)
Djanifer9512

Jul 21, 2006, 11:59 PM
Cingular's and At&T's networks are now fully integrated. Before there was litterally no way to switch from and At&T Tower onto a Cingular mid-phone call. The same story is the same with Tmobile. Although they can roam with Cingular, Tmobile customers cannot switch off from a Tmo tower onto a Cingular one without dropping a call.

As far as dropped calls are concerned, Cingular is the best. Notice when Cingular came out with their fewest dropped call adds no one has heard a peep out of any of the other carriers. Everyone has their own network claims, but Cingular's seems the be the only legit one.

Cingular - "The fewest dropped calls" (Says the leading independant wireless research company)

Sprint/Nextel - "The most powerfull wireles...
(continues)
guido1869

Jul 31, 2006, 7:48 PM
what is the name of the independant research company that said cingy has the least dropped calls, the commercial never says it not even in the small print at the bottom of the screen and most reps don't even know who it is(i do)
how creditable can it be when even cingy won't sy who it is
StarryNight

Jul 29, 2006, 1:18 PM
I know no one cares about Vermont, but I have to say, we have three carriers up here: Sprint, Verizon and Unicel, and NO ONE has great coverage in this state, and as far as Cingluar's "all-over" network? Yeah...nothing. Absolutely nothing. I have to laugh a little when Cingy customers come into our store and ask where the nearest store for them is. It's like, oh yeah, when they said all-over? Vermont apparently doesn't exist. Which is truly fine with me, though. Less compition. And even if every single carrier covered here, I guarantee no one would have better coverage than anyone else. Between our giant mountains, giant forests, and giant lake, even the towers that are here struggle. God I love cell phones.
PinkRZRPrincess

Jul 30, 2006, 3:32 PM
I worked for both and i have to say that cingular is far more superior then verizons coverage. If there is a doubt in your mind who has roaming and who doesnt that should answer that one
Protege

Jul 31, 2006, 5:01 PM
Coverage can vary dramatically from one area to another.. Such a general statement like the one you just made is not only inaccurate but also unfounded... I have been a customer of Cingular, T-Mobile and now Verizon Wireless (all in a span of 8 years)... In the South Florida market, I have experienced much better reception and wayyy less calls dropped with Verizon than with any other carrier.. in fact, I actually havent dropped a call in the time I've been on Verizon..
andyk420

Aug 2, 2006, 7:19 PM
haha ๐Ÿ˜ kountryjentleman. you sir, are an ass. you knew people would argue and b*tch about this. why ask that question to a bunch of phone nerds?

I say try different companies and see what suits you better. plus i dont care if i have one bar or full. as long as i can listen to jimmy page on my phone. SWEET~!
willyum20

Aug 4, 2006, 1:39 PM
๐Ÿคฃ Just to let you guys know, You're all nuts for going back and forth about "Largest coverage" Any half decent sales representative would know better than to just flat out say "cingular has the largest coverage" or "verizon is the best." First of all, that a LOADED question!! Largest coverage?? What do you mean when you ask that. If you are asking who owns the most towers out of the carriers then as far as I know (these figures were from about 4 months ago) Cingular owns the most. If you are asking whose service works the best in the most places around the country, once again, a loaded question. A large part of coverage also has to deal with what type of phone you are using. For instance, let's say you get a verizon plan. you wil...
(continues)
chainsaw

Aug 18, 2006, 10:58 AM
Well first of all, it doesn't matter if you have a duel band or a quand band phone with cingular. They only use 2 bands in the U.S.A anyways. Quad band phones only matters internationally. Second of all. T-mobile and Cingular are the only companies you should consider if you want international coverage. Hello... GSM(Global Standard for Mobile)? CDMA(verizon, sprint) is the last network you want to go with if you want international coverage. DuH!!! They may sell gateway phones that accept a sim card for GSM networks overseas but they are usually horribly expensive.
johnnybgoode

Aug 29, 2006, 12:07 AM
In the US Verizon will give you better service reguardless of the amout of towers Cingular has...Cingular reguires at least 3 bars of signal on your phone to work without dropping that call...Verizon works just fine with only one bar showing. Verizon doesnt need as many towers as Cingular to have far better service.
dan327

Oct 30, 2006, 8:57 PM
Technically Verizon has the largest ownership of CDMA sites in the US. Cingular has less than Verizon in land area coverage of the US but the largest GSM coverage in the US. Sprint has the largest broadband coverage and since they roam on verizon's network and own their own network one could argue that Sprint has the largest CDMA and total "voice coverage" of the US. Sprint's network occupies areas also covered by verizon so really sprint & verizon phones should all work in the same places making them equal in cell service coverage in the USA. Well that should about cover it.
aerorail

Nov 10, 2006, 9:28 PM
largest national coverage thru roaming agreements
krickt

Nov 11, 2006, 10:19 AM
theoretically. USCC has the same map, for the same reasons. However, USCC doesn't drop calls or get roaming charges 2 miles from our store. Alltel does in this area.
Turbomagnani

Nov 17, 2006, 7:26 PM
I wont to say Verizon we should do a field test have everyone with different carriers walk around and map it out ๐Ÿ˜‰
Turbomagnani

Nov 18, 2006, 1:15 AM
whhops meant to say *want
krickt

Jan 17, 2007, 2:22 PM
I agree. There are only two places in my area (that I know of) that Verizon doesn't work and USCC does. And coincedentaly, Alltel doesn't work in those same two areas. I think it's an A vs B setting, issue, not a carrier or signal issue.
ABLINDKID

Apr 25, 2007, 8:55 PM
verizon acually pays people to drive all over the united states, with all types of phones and equipment in the trucks, they put them on test calls to test the service area, when a call gets dropped the computer transmits them back to headquarters so they can work on getting better service everywhere...just some knowledge i feel you would be interested in knowing
Shadowraven

Feb 25, 2007, 2:24 AM
Verizon has more towers in less areas do to CDMa reach 3 to 5 miles, were cing has more towers in more areas dueot reach from tower 5- 10 miles allows for more blank covage which is why cing can say the only nation network with the least dropped call, however cing also has better covage in major cities and highways not so good in rural area , BTW cing is now the new ATT, i have worked for AWS then cing now back to AtT, for indirct call center in Canada for more then 5 years now
wombough

Feb 25, 2007, 11:49 AM
you couldnt be more wrong. CDMA goes further then GSM. NOt much but it does. Since the phone has the ability to increase output the further away you get. GSM the phone does not increase output. So they both have about the same range just with CDMA the carriers stretch the distance since they have a slight advantage with the phones abilty to increase power.
jmac32here

Feb 25, 2007, 3:22 PM
Based on Pops, and information derived from the carriers own websites, currently Cingular has more coverage than Verizon.

Cingular covers 270 Million people nationwide.
Verizon covers 255 Million people nationwide.

This information is from the carriers own websites, and www.drakoswr.tk
wombough

Feb 25, 2007, 9:18 PM
yeah and sprint cover 295. So whats your point?
jjgreene

Mar 25, 2007, 6:43 PM
good point, you have to talk about quality of coverage too....so tell sprint to go work on that.....
Be a Randall not a Dante

Mar 25, 2007, 2:39 PM
Why does it matter. Overall coverage isn't really as important as coverage in your general area. Take Verizon. Where I live it doesn't work at all! Cingular works perfectly, and T-mobile works pretty well. Where I lived before Verizon was perfect, Cingular was okay, and T-mobile was ****ty. Customers should do research and just buy what is going to work best for them. If you live in Montanna (I'm sorry if you do) and almost no cell phones work, you have to buy from one of the companies that does. Also, if you want a good idea of what actually works the best. (Not who has the most color on their maps, but whose phones actually work) talk to semi-truck drivers
poweredup

Mar 26, 2007, 9:30 AM
i used to drive trucks b4 i started working in this business and i will say that sprint does work very well in all areas. i never really recall getting upset that i lost coverage (when i did), i would just keep driving a little longer and get it back again. i would say it DOES depend on your phonr too. i started with a nokia, on this one particular stretch on I-10 i would lose service for 20 mins. went back and asked about it and to see if any stronger phone was available and the offered a sanyo. going down the stretch that 20mins dropped down to 5 mins. i do recall a time when i was in tennessee (sp?) but i was at a truckstop and i had NO service what so ever, yes i was a little peeved but i understood that i was in the mountains and would ...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Mar 26, 2007, 10:17 AM
So... Sprint does work very well in all areas (that they have towers at). I think most cell phone carriers could say that.
poweredup

Mar 26, 2007, 3:38 PM
correct, but as i said, it was very seldom
i never understood the "phone wars" every company will never have service in every place and people have to understand that and get the best service for there needs. i have some friends that live in the country with centennial service and a customer came in that also lived in that area. I was honest with them and told them not to get our service if they spend the majority of their time there because centennial has alot better service in that area than sprint does.believe me i know, i bring my phone there and have no bars cause the closest sprint tower is 15 miles away.
ralph_on_me

Mar 26, 2007, 3:56 PM
I agree completely. I usually recommend people ask their neighbors what they're using if they want to find a good local cell service.
jmac32here

Mar 26, 2007, 4:07 PM
According to the latest infomration on each carriers sites Sprint ranks #1 in coverage.

Sprint covers 295 Million people
Cingular covers 270 Million
T-Mobile covers 265 Million
Verizon covers 255 Million

Also coverage and subscriber base are totally different..
Cingular(at&t) has 61 Million Subscribers
Verizon Wireless has 59.1 Million
Sprint has 53.1 Million
T-Mobile has 25 Million
(According to year end reports for 2006)

Food for thought: there are pleanty of areas where one carrier doesn't work and another one does. There are also pleanty of areas where one carrier works better over another. Wish I new the address to that cell tower search site...that way you can see who has towers closest to where you would be using yo...
(continues)
Argonnj

Apr 6, 2007, 2:12 PM
This question hardly belongs in the rumor mill file.
ozzybah

Apr 26, 2007, 10:59 AM
I agree, it makes it difficult to start any other conversations when people are arguing over something that can hardly be solved anyways...

And how is this subject a rumor or something pending... ?
bigdfan70

Apr 26, 2007, 12:39 PM
sprint!
bigdfan70

Apr 26, 2007, 12:43 PM
where i live in virginia cingular and verizon have no coverage sprint is the only choice...
Rich Brome

Apr 28, 2007, 3:59 PM
This does not belong in the "Rumor Mill" forum. I'm closing this thread.

This thread has reached the maximum number of replies.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.