Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 18 replies

My 2 Cents on Sprint losing millions of customers.

BigKippa

Mar 22, 2009, 12:41 PM
I think what people fail to realize is that these numbers are not a true representation of actual "customers" or "accounts". Now I have worked for Sprint for almost 3 years now, and i ma sure that any employee will agree that the name of the game, up until a year ago, was "slamming lines" or adding lines for people who weren't eligible for upgrades, or customers who didn't have insurance and damaged or lost their phones. Every employee in the company was doing the same thing, adding a line for $9.99 a month, getting the customer a new phone and swapping the device from it's new number on to the customers daily used number. So a single customer with 1 phone could commonly have 1 or sometimes 2 extra lines that weren't even being used.

N...
(continues)
ac4321

Mar 22, 2009, 8:51 PM
The sad thing is that not even Sprint's own management seems to realize it. It's something I've known would happen for a while, since until about a year ago most reps used that "you're not eligible for an upgrade but we can get another line for you for $10/month."

On a side note, we no longer see a lot of the deadbeat customers that would come in every week to complain or pay part of their past due bill or try to scam an upgrade through warranty.

The reality is that store traffic and overall sales are higher than in years, just not the sham "adds" that were so common in years prior.
kapwww

Mar 24, 2009, 11:42 PM
The thing that shoots down your theory is that every carrier offers the add-a-line option and every rep looking for activations will suggest it to a customer in similar situations. The carriers encourage adding lines any way that is even remotely legit. As long as the customer realizes what they are signing and paying for, its their decision and choice.

I sell VZW indirect and since I started in 2004 Sprint has been the carrier that most people "can't wait to get away from". Add those two things together, and I'm pretty sure its more about bad CS, dropped calls, and seriously messed up billing issues.
jrfdsf

Mar 25, 2009, 12:00 PM
kapwww said:
...I'm pretty sure its more about bad CS, dropped calls, and seriously messed up billing issues.

Sprint just tied Verizon in the West for call quality and came in second everywhere else. They are also rolling out 4G a full year ahead of everyone else.

You guys can't keep beating that tired old drum anymore because it just ain't true.
Midnight Toker

Mar 25, 2009, 12:36 PM
Sprint only tied in one region, actually dropped in the pole for another and stagnated in the rest.
jrfdsf

Mar 26, 2009, 8:48 AM
Midnight Toker said:
Sprint only tied in one region, actually dropped in the pole for another and stagnated in the rest.

Sprint didn't drop in one single region. They came in at least second place among national carriers in every single region.
GraGG

Mar 26, 2009, 9:45 PM
why is sprint goin down, then? if they have good phones, great service and excellent custy care, whats up?
jrfdsf

Mar 27, 2009, 9:12 AM
GraGG said:
why is sprint goin down, then? if they have good phones, great service and excellent custy care, whats up?

Sprint isn't going down. Right now, they are launching 4G one full year ahead of the competition, plus they are pushing out new handsets like crazy. They just recently tied for 1st place in the West in the latest JD Power poll. Came in second place in all other regions.

Sprint's failures are now a thing of the past. Old news.
llama

Mar 27, 2009, 10:03 AM
jrfdsf said:
Sprint's failures are now a thing of the past. Old news.
You may be speaking ahead of the results.

Isn't most of the world leaning to LTE, and Sprint is going forward with WiMax?

Kinda like the Beta/VHS thing?
jrfdsf

Mar 27, 2009, 10:07 AM
llama said:

You may be speaking ahead of the results.

Isn't most of the world leaning to LTE, and Sprint is going forward with WiMax?

Kinda like the Beta/VHS thing?

Roaming might become a factor later on when all companies have rolled out 4G, but that's quite a few years down the road.
Menno

Mar 27, 2009, 12:15 PM
Problems tend to become larger with time.
GraGG

Mar 27, 2009, 3:46 PM
and you cant tell me sprint dosent suck while still holding a straight face 🤨
jrfdsf

Mar 27, 2009, 5:17 PM
GraGG said:
and you cant tell me sprint dosent suck while still holding a straight face 🤨

All I can say is that it has worked well for me.
Menno

Mar 26, 2009, 6:23 PM
So they are improving call quality. Good. Seriously that is great news because competition makes everyone stronger. Sprint has made some great strides on improving their company and it is good to see that they are doing so rather than throwing their hat in and begging for a bailout like so many companies are doing anymore.

But there are still billing issues, and customer service issues. I am not bashing the company as a whole, but these are legitimate complaints from more than just an odd customer here and there looking for some excuse to bash where they came from.

Yes, they could be losing a lot of these "add a line" customers, but all the guy pointed out is that every company has this policy, so that turnover will show up in ever...
(continues)
jrfdsf

Mar 27, 2009, 5:23 PM
Menno said:
So they are improving call quality. Good. Seriously that is great news because competition makes everyone stronger. Sprint has made some great strides on improving their company and it is good to see that they are doing so rather than throwing their hat in and begging for a bailout like so many companies are doing anymore.

But there are still billing issues, and customer service issues. I am not bashing the company as a whole, but these are legitimate complaints from more than just an odd customer here and there looking for some excuse to bash where they came from.

Yes, they could be losing a lot of these "add a line" customers, but all the guy pointed out is that every company has this policy, so th
(continues)
Cellinovation

Mar 27, 2009, 6:47 PM
while this maybe so, people need to know the company has changed. I don't think Sprint has made it very clear that they really care about changing the way THEY did business. So while the same old "sprint sucks" mantra might not be true, how many customers still think that is the case, so they won't go back. or knew a friend that had them when it was true, so theyll never own Sprint after seeing their friend get unsatisfactory results. This all factors in there too.
CAS8586

Mar 28, 2009, 12:54 PM
Well..are you saying it is a bad thing?? Because how else can we make money..I believe its not a bad thing because if you are giving the OPTION to the customer if they want it or not..(well how I present it)..then your ok..if you got a DM screaming in your ear, needing to hit acts or else your fired..tell me buddy, how else in this world that we can make a better activation then adding a line, than charging the customer FULL retail price on the phone??

But sometimes you got to look at it in a good way. Customers bill is $200 every month with only 300 mins and there phone is broken?? not eligible for an upgrade and no insurance..dont tell me you would charge them full retail price for the phone?? If you are..get out of the sales industry....
(continues)
deeter

Mar 31, 2009, 7:05 PM
that would also result in a charge back. I only think stupid reps were doing this.
BigKippa

Apr 1, 2009, 1:12 AM
not after 60 days genius

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.