Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 30 replies

is sprint going under???

crazyworld

Mar 6, 2009, 12:34 PM
im thinking of getting sprint being that my bf and sister have but i heard that sprint maybe going under does anyone know or heard anything i would hate to change and then not have a carrier!
rarodrig26

Mar 6, 2009, 12:52 PM
Thats retarded, no
nextel18

Mar 6, 2009, 2:14 PM
It could happen, but it wont. They have money in the bank.
Menno

Mar 6, 2009, 3:28 PM
No it won't because the government is bailout happy.

Welcome to America, where poor business models are rewarded.
nextel18

Mar 6, 2009, 3:32 PM
I highly highly doubt that government would bail them out. They aren’t a member of TARP so they cant really borrow money like that. Granted, they are losing money, but they can access their cash and their credit facility.
Menno

Mar 6, 2009, 5:00 PM
All they have to do is make a case about how their business is an integral part of America...

heck, we're bailing out Chrysler for a SECOND TIME, or looking to. And yet if I miss my loan payments, there is nothing.
nextel18

Mar 6, 2009, 5:19 PM
Yes but Sprint and Chrysler are different in size and how much they touch. Sprint only reaches a few suppliers, while Chrysler reaches many.
GraGG

Mar 6, 2009, 9:41 PM
sprint will def go under here in the next 5 years, but who ever buys them will grandfather you in... look at cingular and att, and look at verizon and alltel
nextel18

Mar 6, 2009, 10:03 PM
They have assets; they won’t go bankrupt. Please educate yourself about bankruptcy.
GraGG

Mar 6, 2009, 10:21 PM
sorry that your co bought another company with a completely different antennae tech... but you guys are payin the price now
nextel18

Mar 6, 2009, 10:24 PM
Well I was with Nextel (well did some stuff with them) so Sprint bought us out (well technically it was a merger of equals). Regardless, Sprint wrote down the merger so hopefully after a few years (lol 10) that will be worth something.

I was a shareholder of Nextel. I didn’t care that they bought us- although, looking back I wish Sprint didn’t buy us.

(i have ties with all of the carriers though but more with Nextel.)
GraGG

Mar 6, 2009, 10:41 PM
they just jumped the gun, cuz sprint used to be a big contender
nextel18

Mar 6, 2009, 10:46 PM
Well, I can see why Nextel took the deal. Well a few reasons; 1. It was very good value for the shareholders and 2. They needed to expand. They would have received an offer from another company (DT) was actually in the running but they went very well with Sprint and not very well with T-mobile. Nextel was a bit better than Sprint actually but only with a few features. Sprint had very good data. Nextel had better management and a better name. Sprint had a better network.

All in all, if Sprint was managed with Nextel’s management and team it would be much better. So although I voted yes in favor of the transaction, I felt stupid doing that now because I got a very nice gain and profit, but now my beloved company is in shambles....
(continues)
GraGG

Mar 6, 2009, 10:49 PM
aint that how it always works, yea it was good for nextels share holders, but once its sold, that co is gone
nextel18

Mar 6, 2009, 10:54 PM
Yes, and that is a bad thing.
GraGG

Mar 6, 2009, 10:57 PM
id give anything to hae had stock in yahoo back in '95
nextel18

Mar 6, 2009, 10:59 PM
I was in the tech bubble. 😛
Kayslay34

Mar 19, 2009, 8:18 PM
GraGG said:
sprint will def go under here in the next 5 years, but who ever buys them will grandfather you in... look at cingular and att, and look at verizon and alltel

Um I'm sorry but how can u guarantee that they will go down in 5 years, sprint is already turning around, and JD power stated that also. They have started to stop the bleeding, and they also still posted a profit last year even though they lost millions of customers.
Decept.ICON

Mar 22, 2009, 12:56 PM
didn't post profit...
Kayslay34

Mar 29, 2009, 11:04 AM
UM yes they did
GraGG

Mar 29, 2009, 4:19 PM
sux, end of story
GraGG

Mar 22, 2009, 3:34 PM
i cant guarantee anything, but they are still next to go, give me a better example of a major cell company going down?
GraGG

Mar 22, 2009, 3:52 PM
😉
GTAexpert

Mar 30, 2009, 5:09 PM
Better example.......hmmmm, let's see.......how about US Cellular? They have a few million customers, and they are a regional carrier. CDMA based......so ironically, Sprint may end up ponying up the cash to buy them.

Before all of you Sprint haters start going on and on about how bad Sprint sucks, blah blah blah, realize that it is a perfect transition for both businesses. CDMA based, relatively comparable handset lineup, close cost structure for the rate plans. And, wait for it....USCC's holding group just told the board of directors that they want the business sold.

Before everyone talks about how broke Sprint is, they have over 9 billion in free cash flow, and they are currently doing away with excess network costs.

In this day...
(continues)
bigdfan70

Mar 8, 2009, 12:28 PM
thank obama for that crap,and all of the 18 year olds that dont know anything at all about why they voted for him other then the fact that he is half black.so now we all have to deal with this govt spending to help the dead beats and not the hard working 👿
Menno

Mar 11, 2009, 8:28 AM
So, you don't watch the news, do you?

Bush was the one who started the bailout plan before obama was even elected.

And government has been paying lazy people not to work for years. This isn't a Republican issue, this isn't a Democrat issue. Both parties are to blaim and it will take both parties to fix it.

Blaiming one person for an issue that's been a problem since wefare existed is rather stupid.
Hayate392

Mar 11, 2009, 12:15 PM
I'm noot a dead beat....and i think i deserve help...i pay taxes and get paid min wage...government takes $100+ out of pay every check.....i hope u get nothing...
qtgirl_78

Mar 6, 2009, 5:57 PM
...but either way, even if it does, where is the down side? If they go under, you won't have to pay an ETF, then you'll be able to go to any other carrier you want, get a new phone, and there's really no harm, no foul. And the worst case scenario is really that you may lose your number if they go under so fast that you don't have time to port. But, again, there's really no problem here. Sign up, and get the free mobil to mobile while you can, and if they stick around, great. If not...meh. Who cares?
bigdfan70

Mar 8, 2009, 12:29 PM
sprint will be fine the network is great and knowbody comes close to there plan prices!
GTAexpert

Mar 20, 2009, 8:42 AM
In no way shape or form will the company go under so fast that you wouldn't be able to port your number. 56,000 corporate employees, billions in cash (like 9). Not gonna happen.
ajlineman

Mar 31, 2009, 1:19 PM
There's no way.
If there was even the slightest chance, rumor, or word that the company was going under or even downsizing no manufactorer would sign contracts with them, especially with exclusive releases like the Palm Pre.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.