Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 16 replies

Iphone imitation...

buddha

Dec 2, 2008, 12:40 PM
I have been a life long Verizon guy, I am not trying to spur an argument on the pro’s and con’s of Verizon. I love the Iphone, but I love everything except the carrier. One thing I have noticed with cell phones is once something becomes popular the other carriers imitate it (for good reason). I think we saw that w/ the touch screens and the smart phones….but one thing I have not seen imitated is the browser and “app store” of the iphone. The browser, using wifi, is so beyond any other carrier browser I cant believe it hasn’t been copied and the app store seems to be a cash cow and nobody is jumping on that either. Does anyone know why?
doubledecker06

Dec 2, 2008, 3:18 PM
The iphone uses the Apple browser which is safari. Same thing as windows mobile using internet explorer. what is cool about it is that apple figured out how to make the browser work very effectively with their iphone.

Verizon just came out with the storm which is a touch screen and has a browser. its their way of imitating the iphone. however it is a bb made into a touch screen which defies the purpose of BB in my opinion.

As far as the app store- you can get apps for a lot of phones. again apple just made it very easy to use.

Apple has always been very unique in there products. they are very user friendly and well crafted.
attverizonslave

Dec 2, 2008, 5:54 PM
they can try all they want but they still dont have the iphone. how many gigs does the storm have. iphone has 16
ajlineman

Dec 2, 2008, 6:36 PM
I think its running on 5 of internal memory but it can take up to a 40g external drive I beleive. Still nothing compared to iPhone 😁
ajlineman

Dec 2, 2008, 5:52 PM
You must remember that BB is putting out two major releases a year (on average). Samsung releases close to 20 per year, MOTO around 25 and so on and so forth. Apple has a department as big as the entire moto phone department and the entire R&D team works on and has worked on nothing but the iPhone for going on... 2? years now? It's no suprise that they were able to integrate mac and apple servers that had already been nearly perfected, create a working app store, and make it all better then everyone else.
Despite what everyone else seems to think I believe the iPhone to be the top of the line in to-date wireless technology and even though other manufacterors might through more technology at us, I doubt anyone will rival the user friendly OS...
(continues)
ElTriste

Dec 4, 2008, 7:28 PM
They just didn't do what they've been doing in japan for years...the retail business in asia and europe thrive on the newest technology. Phones like the iphone are the norm in those places...my friend bought an N93 in 2006, and that phone STILL, IMO, is better then most phones available today, including the blackberry. 5 meg.camera, photoshop elements, html web browsing with flash...all almost 3 years ago, and it WASN'T brand new when he got it...The iphone just broke the retail rule. Companies can make alot of money by keeping things on the market for a while.
ElTriste

Dec 4, 2008, 7:37 PM
correction...3.2 meg. camera for th nokia n93...still better then the iphone, and most us phones.
ralph_on_me

Dec 3, 2008, 11:09 AM
I really dont see anything special about the Safari browser on the iPhone. If you're commenting on the fact that it uses wifi, that's also something which other phones do.

The App store is unique in it's business model, not in it's function. Many carriers have one button shopping from their device to purchase anything, however Apple is paying developers a higher dividend of sales than anyone has ever done before. This is leading to developers wanting to make more games and sfotware for it before applying it to other platforms. Hopefully, this is something that catches on with the service providers, however if it does it will hurt Apple's development.
ajlineman

Dec 3, 2008, 3:39 PM
I don't think anything is going to hurt Apple's development. AT&T and pushed iPhone so hard along with apple that their making so many sales that I don't think their going to be hurting at all, based on how easy Safari is, no matter how good the competitors get at copying them.
ralph_on_me

Dec 3, 2008, 3:41 PM
I was refering to software development for applications that run on the iphone. If other companies like the cell phone carriers began to pay as much or more than apple currently does, it would certainly draw developers away from the iphone platform.
ajlineman

Dec 3, 2008, 5:07 PM
Got ya, that makes alot more sense.;D
kapwww

Dec 4, 2008, 9:12 PM
People have complained for years that VXW offers Get It Now or Media Center and they charge for apps, yet when Apple does it, people love it. Apple generally charges more too. I laugh at those people.

There are also sites like Handango that offer tons of software for smart-style phones.

Apple just knows how to market their products, but they aren't really any better than a great deal of the other products out there.
Turbo187

Dec 6, 2008, 1:31 PM
Thats what its all about, if you build excitement and value around a product it really doesn't matter how much you charge for it. But generally speaking the App Store does offer some quality products for free, but same goes for VZW, for example the music recognition program for Apple that they speak so fondly of, honestly verizon has had a product like this for well over a year, and hey guess what? It's free too. But that said there are really some quality games that take advantage of the iphone a lot better than some of the games/apps on other carriers.
Rich Brome

Dec 7, 2008, 2:44 PM
Actually, many in the industry have been trying to copy those two exact things.

App Store:

BlackBerry Application Storefront and Application Center:
https://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=3517 »

Android Market:
https://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=3529 »

Also, most of the new finger-touch phones (Storm, Omnia, Touch Diamond) have new browsers that are very much like the iPhone's. Have you tried them?

Let's not forget how everyone has also copied finger-touch in general, plus visual voicemail, threaded messaging, accelerometers, etc, etc....

I don't see any lack of copying the iPhone in this industry.
ajlineman

Dec 8, 2008, 8:59 PM
The only phone I've noticed (other then the iPhone) with the Visual Voicemail was the Instinct offered through Sprint, is it common that all touchscreens have it?
And as far as copying the finger-touch style of the iPhone, are you saying that Apple actually started this in wireless technology? I can't directly remember a phone comming out with it before the iPhone but I can't imagine Apple being the first to release it. Can anyone validate or deny this claim?
Rich Brome

Dec 8, 2008, 9:08 PM
Verizon and Sprint have both announced plans to bring visual voicemail to most of their mid- and high-end phones.

There were plenty of touch-screen phones before the iPhone, but they all used resistive technology, and were mostly designed to be used with a stylus, or based on an OS originally designed with a stylus in mind. Some manufacturers tweaked home screens to be finger-friendly (Treos come to mind) but other parts of the OS still required a stylus.

I believe the iPhone was the first touch-screen phone to be designed to be used completely with fingers, not a stylus.
ajlineman

Dec 8, 2008, 9:38 PM
Sweet. I didn't know about that announcment. Did you guys have anything about it in the "News" portion of the site?
Also news to me about the iPhone being the FIRST completely finger-touch screen phone, but I guess not too suprising. Considering I've only been in (or interested in ) the industry for a few months I kind of forget how long ago the release date for the original iPhone actually was... guess I focus too much on the 3g.
In addition, have you heard anything more about the 4gig making an appearance on the 3g level and whether or not it will be sold as a wal-mart exclusive? I've seen a few posts about it but your sources are a little more... reliable? Yeah, reliable, thats a good word.
Anywho, whatever you know or have heard woul...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.