Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 25 replies

Everywhere but Sprint! Any new smartphones coming to Sprint?

richardbeaton

Mar 21, 2007, 5:29 PM
Every carrier seems to be up on the new technology, but sprint seems to be left in the dust. I keep hearing about new stuff for Verizon, Cingular, and the new iphone, but is Sprint gonna catch up with any new smartphones?

I will need a smartphone by July, and I don't want to have to pay to cancel with Sprint so I can grab the iphone with Cingular.

Can anyone give me some heads-up?
ralph_on_me

Mar 21, 2007, 5:35 PM
Since their 4G technology is only going to give them speeds of 4Mbs the smartphone producers are going with the carriers who can send data faster.
jruel

Mar 21, 2007, 6:18 PM
You really could not be more wrong. Cingular's (ATT) best data technology is HSDPA which has a download speed of 3.6 mbs, which is only accessible on few phones. Most of their phones use EDGE or HSDPA 1.8 at best. Second, Verizon uses EVDO rev. 0 and A which Sprint already utilizes. So when you say only 4mbs you are partially correct because Sprint will soon be the only carrier with those download speeds.

Sprint has limited smatphones is true but it has nothing to do with network capacity and more to do with poor management which reflects on retention rates and membership.

Before I get ripped for this, it is true that in the near future HDSPA and other technologies used on GSM networks will grow to higher download speeds surpassi...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Mar 21, 2007, 6:37 PM
but not for wimax. By the time it's deployed it will be around twice as slow as it's competitors.
Argonnj

Mar 21, 2007, 6:48 PM
The more you talk the more clueless you sound.
ralph_on_me

Mar 21, 2007, 6:53 PM
If you don't know what you're talking about, then I'm sure I'd sound very clueless.
jruel

Mar 21, 2007, 6:49 PM
Wrong again, WIMAX will probably be deployed just before Rev B, which is scheduled for the end of 2007. Rev B will have download speeds somewhere around 15 mbs. I am sure that HDSPA will upgrade to be competitive, but the coverage of HDSPA in the United States in comparision to EVDO is really a joke.

It is no knock on GSM technology but the data coverage here in the U.S is dwarfed by CDMA carriers. I wish this was not true because GSM is more adaptible and it is the international standard, not to mention that the GSM carriers in the U.S or much more customer friendly.
ralph_on_me

Mar 21, 2007, 6:53 PM
So what you're saying is that wimax will be at least three times slower than EVDO Rev B. I said it was going to twice as slow, so I guess I was wrong on that.

It's still going to be ridiculously slower.
jruel

Mar 21, 2007, 6:59 PM
Wimax will still be a faster solution than any GSM carrier offers for data. Also wimaxs range will cover even more customers than HSDPA and maybe even EVDO in a fairly short period of time.

And yes, when Rev B is released it will make everything look slow.
ralph_on_me

Mar 21, 2007, 7:06 PM
Now that it's been brought up, I disagree that it will be better than GSM alternatives. HSDPA will by at 7.2 around the release of WiMAX. That's faster than 4. They already have the means to upgrade that to 27 Mbs with HSPA+, but that will no doubt be a ways off.

The coverage area of WiMAX could become larger, but they have to deploy it first. The real benefit for them using WiMAX is this gives them an "in" as a home ISP, like AT&T and Verizon are doing through their affiliates. I'm also curious about the security of WiMAX. WiFi is not a secure connection. Will that be addressed with WiMAX?

My first comment about them not getting PDAs because of their crappy 4G was (in my opinion) an obvious knock at just how crappy their 4G is ...
(continues)
jruel

Mar 21, 2007, 7:13 PM
Again, as I have said before HSDPA and EVDO/Wimax will always be competitvie with each other for highest data speeds. CDMA technologies have an edge in data simply because of coverage.

Also im not quite sure on the accuracy of your timeline for the release of 7.2 but im sure that if it was to be released at the same time, we would only have to wait a quarter until Rev B blows it out of the water.
ralph_on_me

Mar 21, 2007, 7:19 PM
7.2 was announced to be launched by the end of this year. Who knows what part of 4th quarter or if it will be delayed though.

I agree that if Rev B hits 15, that's awesome. It's going to make WiMAX look even worse, and that was my whole dig.
jruel

Mar 21, 2007, 7:22 PM
Im uneasy about how good wimax would be myself. It sounds like it could be something great but i could see it sucking.
junglemassive

Mar 21, 2007, 6:57 PM
WiMAX will be launched with the 4 Mbps speed, however the WiMAX technology is capable of MUCH faster. In a lab environment WiMAX has shown speeds as high as 1 GBs. That's right ONE GIG A SECOND. HSDPA will NEVER be able to touch those speeds. Do your research before opening your trap!!! (Just a little suggestion so you look like less of a fool in the future...)
ralph_on_me

Mar 21, 2007, 6:59 PM
actually they said it would have an average of 2 - 4 Mbs. We've also been able to teleport molecules using light in lab tests. Do you see that happening anywhere in the real world?

When did I ever bring up HSDPA anywhere anyway? I said their 4G speeds are going to suck. You guys really need to pay better attention to what's going on around you.
jruel

Mar 21, 2007, 7:06 PM
How does 4G suck? Nothing is faster and I believe you said smartphone manufacturers wanted to make phones on the fastest data networks and the only other fast one is HSDPA, what else could you have been talking about?
ralph_on_me

Mar 21, 2007, 7:08 PM
Read my other post.

Sprints 4G is WiMAX. That doesn't include EVDO nor HSDPA. You just said yourself that Rev B will be faster. HSDPA will be faster than WiMAX too.
Argonnj

Mar 22, 2007, 11:40 AM
Don't bother arguing with Ralph, he is an obvious GSM fan boy who will not agree with you no matter how much evidence you provide.
junglemassive

Mar 21, 2007, 7:13 PM
ralph_on_me said:
actually they said it would have an average of 2 - 4 Mbs. We've also been able to teleport molecules using light in lab tests. Do you see that happening anywhere in the real world?

When did I ever bring up HSDPA anywhere anyway? I said their 4G speeds are going to suck. You guys really need to pay better attention to what's going on around you.

Let's just say that in a real world environment we can achieve HALF the speed we can achieve in the lab, we are still talking about 50 Mbps. My lab example was just to let you know of the capabilities of the technology, I don't see 1 GBps being a reality for at least another year or two... But upgrading WiMAX networks is just as easy as ...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Mar 21, 2007, 7:17 PM
I know upgrading is easy. Building the initial sites is the long and expensive part. Everything everywhere keeps getting faster because we keep finding better ways to do things. Someone will turn up WiMAX, EVDO will get another tune up, and so will HSPA. They'll all be faster and faster years down the road.

4Mbs sucks in comparison to ALL of it's competitors. I think they have good reason for going this route, but it's still going to leave them as the SLOWER data operator. My company also sells Sprint, so we get into these little pushy fights for fun all the time. You guys should lighten up.

I'm going home for a few beers.
jruel

Mar 21, 2007, 7:18 PM
Lucky bastard! Two hours till i get to drink a beer.
jruel

Mar 21, 2007, 7:04 PM
Well said! But even with a launch at 4mbs it is still the fastest data speed available. Also, although 1GB per second is impressive I do not see that being touched soon nationally.
bigt42

Mar 22, 2007, 11:12 AM
Sprint will be getting their own treo the 755p in mid May hang around lots of interesting phones are coming in the next couple months
sprint_guy

Mar 25, 2007, 12:11 PM
I wouldnt just switch carriers because of a phone. the iphone is nice,but its nothing new,its just everything out now put into one phone. the phone you have is only as good as the network behind it.
bigt42

Mar 29, 2007, 9:12 AM
Official target date for Treo 755 is May 14, also have the new(6700) in the 6800 sometime in the same month
jenlll

Mar 26, 2007, 5:54 PM
Last time I checked, Sprint didnt sell or offer anything SMART.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.