General

all discussions

show all 5 replies

just curious plz,about cell phones

AA55US

Dec 4, 2003, 1:23 PM
hello all,Plz maybe someone can give me some stra88 answers,
situation
useing a cingluar NOKIA 3360, works ok,but do not like the 'smallness'of the phone in past used a GTE NOKIA 5165, with external antenna, and like the feel,viewing,size of this phone, but no longer available from cingular,
Question
i am under the impression that a phone with external antenna would give out & recieve a better signal, would this be correct??
am thinking of trying to buy a cingular use nokia 5165 off of ebay. any suggestions appreciated, "take care ok, "AA"
Lena

Dec 5, 2003, 1:45 PM
I have been under the impression that Cingular is rather sticky about activating a phone that is not from Cingular, although there doesn't seem to be a technological reason that an ATT TDMA phone such as the Nokia 5165 could not be activated on the Cingular system. I went the other way, and had a Cingular 5165 converted for use on the ATT system.

Be careful about who you purchase a 5165 from on eBay. I bought a phone off ebay, thought it was working properly, and went on line to activate it. Before I got a reply, I discovered that the phone had a major flaw (shut itself off for no apparent reason). Fortunately, the company was nice enough to cancel my activation and I didn't incur a charge. Look for a seller with a high positive fe...
(continues)
mikethestranger

Dec 5, 2003, 4:56 PM
well, almost ever carrier is the same when it comes to trying to activate a customers phone from another carrier. each carrier has a code "burnt" into the phone so that the phone cannot be used with every wireless company on the face of the earth lol. anyways, with at&t, you can bring phones from some carriers to us, but that phone will only work on a local plan, if it works at all. if you could purchase a phone for next to nothing at one carrier, but bring it to at&t, that carrier you purchased it from isnt making any money at all then. the reason the phones are cheap and have the code burnt into them, is that the wireless company would not make any money if they sold people phones to use with another carrier. they make their money by sell...
(continues)
Lena

Dec 5, 2003, 9:49 PM
Geez, mikethestranger, know what you're talking about before you spit it out. I have taken many TDMA phones and activated them with CallPlus, which uses the ATT TDMA system. They aren't restricted to a "local" plan; the CallPlus plan mirrors ATT's national prepay plan and can be used anywhere inthe US on the ATT system and it's affiliates. I've taken a Cingular TDMA phone and activated it on ATT. Nothing is "burned" into the phone. It is programmed, and the programming can be done by the user if the code is provided. Some companies "will" allow one to activate their own compatible phone and others won't.
Take a look at eBay and see how many used phones are being sold. They aren't being used as paperweights; folks are activating them ...
(continues)
AA55US

Dec 22, 2003, 6:35 PM
hello all, THANK U for the help,The O N L Y reason I was going to get rid of Nokia 3360 was because the letters were so small, & Cingular tech's when asked "couldn't supply an answer, (cked with them today 12-22-03, STILL saying NO QAY)
'if there anyway to make the names bigger 7 easier to read"
there answer was,,is, THERE is no way to make the letters bigger"",

W R O N G, i just finished talking to a "friend" at NOKIA & YES there is a way to make the letters twice the size the normally are,so now I can READ the list of names in my phone book, it was-is so simple to adjust the size of the letters in a name, now I'am happy,,& in closing ,WE HOPE that you & your loved ones have a nice,happy but S A F E Christmas,Take care ok, "AA"
cdover

Dec 15, 2003, 2:11 PM
!! err... in my opinion the the 33XX series (minus 3300) are huge! theyre around the same size as my nokia7650 when closed (length wise...)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2019 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.