Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

all discussions

show all 16 replies

Why is Tmobile advertising an "unlimited" data plan?

perezperez

Apr 30, 2011, 10:15 PM
The Tmobile website advertises a "TRULY UNLIMITED" (big-ass letters) $79.99 data, talk and text. Then in tiny-ass letters we learn that the data you can use for that price is limited to 2 GB.

From dictionary.com:

Unlimited–adjective
not limited; unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
without any qualification or exception; unconditional.
pickles

Apr 30, 2011, 10:22 PM
Because consumers are stupid, and only respond positively to words like "unlimited" and "free"
San_Sebastion

Apr 30, 2011, 10:27 PM
Pickles speaks the truth. But it comes down to after you hit 2GB of data (or whatever it is), the data slows...rather than charges you extra per MB/GB, whatever. So in a round about way it is unlimi...ted......

It's all about the marketing.
pickles

Apr 30, 2011, 10:37 PM
Yeah, it's just marketing. At least tmo just throttles your speed rather than giving you a hard cap like AT&T, I'll give them that. It all comes down to what's going to be best for you and best fit your needs and your budget. Many people will never exceed 2GB.
San_Sebastion

Apr 30, 2011, 11:02 PM
I've began keeping a tally at work of smart phone customers with their data packages ($15/$25 and the old unlimited). When I get into their accounts I can view data usage over a period of time. I live in a town where its all 3G but HSPA+ is available in most parts now.

For the past 3 weeks, out of some 150+ customers I've dealt with who had smart phones, only 1 has gone over the 2GB limit. Most run up to 1GB or 1.5 but so far only one with 2.3GB. It's going to be an ongoing study of mine for the next several months....but so far it hasn't been an issue for this small test I'm running.

I have the 2GB cap as well and I'm considered a data hog. While it has *never* posed a problem for me, I did like the peace of mind of not worrying abou...
(continues)
SprintBGN

May 3, 2011, 3:16 PM
I normally do six to seven gigs a month
soundwave

May 3, 2011, 4:12 PM
i have a couple of days left in my billing cycle and have used just over 4gb. Sprint doesnt throttle me.
melrhodes

May 4, 2011, 7:04 AM
I use 500~800MB a day
melaimaglente

Jun 6, 2011, 3:10 PM
that's what you call ... addiction !!
BMDroid

May 4, 2011, 2:47 PM
Sprint throttles you at their discretion. Throttling means you're slowed down genius you still get to dl. Slow down to what? I'm willing to bet from one to several mbs to 100kbs. You, probably have no idea what this means.
melaimaglente

Jun 6, 2011, 3:17 PM
could you kindly elaborate
further what that means ??
Cosmic Spiderman

May 3, 2011, 5:43 PM
Yes, but AT&T people understand that it's not unlimited, so they use it more in a wifi area to avoid going over. I have a couple of friends that only use data at work because they can log in to the work wifi. I like not having to worry about finding wifi or going over. I can stream movies and music all day, every day, anywhere. And, it's only $5 more per month than AT&T's 2GB/Month. Your test isn't too reliable. That's like putting up invisible fencing around your yard and telling your dog not to go outside of the yard.
BMDroid

May 4, 2011, 2:22 PM
pickles said:
At least tmo just throttles your speed rather than giving you a hard cap like AT&T,

AT&T doesn't have a 'hard cap' they charge per mb overage fees like VZW.

Many people will never exceed 2GB.

Except anyone using the hotspot feature downloading 2 movies. OK pickles whatever you say.
pickles

May 4, 2011, 7:23 PM
nawt
BMDroid

May 4, 2011, 2:23 PM
pickles said:
Because consumers are stupid, and only respond positively to words like "unlimited" and "free"

They're not stupid TMO is being deceptive by being so shady with the 2 gig throttling cap.
BMDroid

May 4, 2011, 2:42 PM
when TMO offers you smart phone internet for $10 on the commercials, but in reality its a 200mb cap with a 10 cent per mb overage. Completely useless for anything other than email or light black berry use.
pickles

May 4, 2011, 5:38 PM
Yes, BMDroid, you're right. Every single smartphone customer in the United States ABSOLUTELY NEEDS unlimited data. How could I be so stupid?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2019 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.