Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Verizon contract

pfbrennan

Mar 4, 2011, 2:12 PM
I'm have a Verizon contract and locked into-- with a very poor phone Palm Pre -- I want to get a Droid X Verizon wants to charge us family of 2 over $550 per phone for upgrades. Any suggestions I'm in real estate and rely on my phone -- the Palm Pre was a huge error on my part.

The local Verizon people don’t even want to discuss the problem. I may have to bite the bullet and pay the exit fee --- move to another service provider. I have not been able to talk with anyone from Verizon. The Irritation is there are ads to buy the Droid X for new clients for as low as $89 for 2 year contracts. I understand the get new client’s model. How about client retention? Does anyone have input or ideas?
cstone

Mar 4, 2011, 8:38 PM
How far into your contract are you? Are you close to getting any upgrades? If not have you thought about buying phones used somewhere? You can always try the usual places like Ebay and Craigslist. Of course there are always risks with doing so. It is possible that the phones could be reported lost or stolen which would prevent you from activating them. Ebay is a safer bet then craigslist since there are some regulations in place. You could then sell your phone to make up some of the lost money since I'm sure you won't find the droid x for anywhere close to $89.

The reason they have to give a better price to new customers than they do for someone who is only a few months into their contract is because even if they extend your contract, the...
(continues)
Joby Dick

Mar 5, 2011, 12:22 AM
With any research, you will find that all carriers generally charge existing customers more for phones than new customers. While that may anger you, it is simply the way it is. As a wireless retail employee, I've heard your argument literally hundreds of times, and you are simply wasting your breath complaining about it - get over it!

If you must, terminate service with VZW. If you are courteous to a rep and explain your situation, you will likely be able to pay off your early termination fee (ETF) in tiered payments, thus saving you from financial woes. There are some absolutely stellar deals out there right now for switching carriers. For example, Sprint is offering a $125 credit per line for all new customers who port a number o...
(continues)
Azeron

Mar 5, 2011, 4:20 PM
"With any research, you will find that all carriers generally charge existing customers more for phones than new customers"

I don't think this is the case at all. It certainly wasn't when I worked for: Alltel, AT&T and Verizon. A customer eligible to upgrade when I worked at Alltel and AT&T received the same pricing as new customers and until recently at Verizon New Every Two upgrading customers received a better discount than new customers. I believe Sprint had or has a similar upgrade plan as well. The original poster has already received discounted pricing on the Pres. Yes he made a poor choice, but he had a few weeks to correct it. They are not going to discount another two handsets until he is upgrade eligible. Who would?
Joby Dick

Mar 5, 2011, 8:59 PM
Joby Dick said:
With any research, you will find that all carriers generally charge existing customers more for phones than new customers

Not all indirect and direct dealers operate the same, but from my personal experience, existing customers usually pay more than new customers. This business model is not exclusive to the wireless industry; in fact, many various industries use this same exact model in order to attract new customers. Keep in mind that obtaining new customers is several times more expensive than maintaining customers, and offering extra incentives, such as cheaper introductory handset prices, justify that statement, because the carriers will purposefully take a larger initial ...
(continues)
Ishamael

Mar 5, 2011, 10:25 PM
If it's more expensive to earn a new customer than it is to maintain an old customer, one would think the company would have more resources to spend on the old customers... =)
Azeron

Mar 5, 2011, 10:28 PM
They do and companies recognize this. Verizon and Sprint until recently certainly discounted handsets for existing customers at a greater price than for new ones.
Azeron

Mar 5, 2011, 4:14 PM
When one is a new customer or an existing customer eligible for upgrade one gets the same pricing. The pricing is determined by the length of the contract YOU choose to sign with the understanding that you will NOT get another like discount until a certain amount of time has expired. Most customers being short-sighted (myself included) sign two year contracts to get the best (upfront) discount as possible. The problem is when one signs a two year contract one is not eligible to upgrade until twenty months have expired. When one sees "new" customers being offered discounts to sign up it is the same scenario that you took advantage of once upon a time. Do you really think a business can give equipment discounts every few months?
OrionsVantage

Mar 5, 2011, 4:37 PM
on how to get some 'cheap' droid x's

www.ebay.com
Cosmic Spiderman

Mar 5, 2011, 7:12 PM
Add 2 lines to your existing contract. Get the Droid Xs you both want then put simple feature phones on the previous lines. After that is done, you can switch the phones around on the line as you need. So, then you could have the Droids on the lines that you need them on. While this will increase your bill by $20 per month, this will get you the phones you want at the prices you want and without paying the early termination free.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2019 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.