Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Nokia 6230 (Cingular) & Palm T3 data problems

kboyce

Jun 10, 2005, 11:06 AM
Just bought a 6230 and switched over to Cingular. My previous phone was a T610 with T-Mobile, which I could use as a Bluetooth modem to dial into my ISP.

I've tried doing that with the Nokia, and haven't had any luck. Here's my troubleshooting path so far:

- I first got a message saying that I needed to subscribe to a GPRS service.

- Deactivated proxy servers on my Palm and got a message that I had no DNS server.

- I then deactivated "Query DNS" on my Palm and input DNS info myself. This gave me a different error message, but still a DNS error.

I'm happy to use either dial-up or GPRS data (I'm not sending large files, so speed isn't really an issue for me). Anyone BTDT? Advice on what to try next?

I really like the pho...
(continues)
simplymarcus

Jun 10, 2005, 7:05 PM
on the nokia software and on the Cingular connection manager they ask for a user name and password and it is WAP@cingulargprs.com and the password i cingular1 everything in caps.
kboyce

Jun 13, 2005, 10:08 PM
I changed the user name & password on my Palm and it looks like I'm closer, but still not there. The Palm said "connecting" for a while until it got a "PPP timeout".

The Nokia said something along the lines of "Connecting to GPRS service", and then came back with an error "Subscribe to GPRS first". Weird, since the phone shows a GPRS connection normally.

Any advice on what I should try next?

Thanks,

KC
Leviathan22

Jun 23, 2005, 12:53 AM
I am in the the same boat. I thought that I was the only one.

I have spent hours on the phone with tech people, helping me to set the right settings on my phone. (Side Note: If you haven't called tech, then you should!)

I have spent at least an hour and a half at a corporate store where the sales person turned around and called tech support again.

Moreover, I have spent many hours toying w, the phone, checking and double checking the settings.

I currently have pay as you go data connect service and I am on the GPRS network eventhough my phone is GSM and EDGE compatible. Perhaps we have to pay for a data plan in order to us or be recognized as having GPRS?

The last time I call Cingular, they told me that my phone was defectiv...
(continues)
a99tandem

Jul 6, 2005, 10:55 AM
Are you connecting via bluetooth or IR? If you select Cingular as your GPRS provider in your palm, you can use any preconfigured bluetooth nokia setting it has... like the 6310i. If you try to set up the connection manually you'll just have tons of headaches, because there are a ton of dial strings to enter. All else fails, check HowardForums.com This is why I think that every Cingular store should have a resident geek (like myself). I configure almost every data product that leaves the store, so the customer doesn't have to. Yet, I'm not paid any extra 👿
Leviathan22

Jul 6, 2005, 3:46 PM
Tandem:

I have been trying to connect via IR, which I was finally able to do when on Monday, June 27, 2005.

What happened was that I finally got a knowledgeable Tech woman to tell me that if I want to use my Palm to browse the internet, SMS, and VPN I need to sign up for a Data Connect Plan, which will configure your phone to accept 3-party devices.

What she didn't tell me is that I cannot check the amount of data I transfer to and from your phone via their web site. However, I have found the settings in my phone that will allow me to track this kind of information.

Until my bill comes I won't know if I went over the 5MB I signed up for. Which I think is totally lame. The only way I can complain about if I send a letter t...
(continues)
SwingKid76

Jul 7, 2005, 4:15 PM
I've tried the same with my Zire72. Updated the phone links and have been able to sync via bluetooth. But when I try to get a connection with GPRS, the zire PPP times out and the 6230 says "please subscribe to GPRS". I do have a media works package. And when it does work will I get EDGE speed while surfing on with the Zire??

I also have a v551. Would I be better off trying to get it to work with that?? What about the V635? I've been looking at that one for a while.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.