Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 7 replies

unlimited MMODE not unlimited for bluetooth?

nasdaq_guy

Apr 7, 2005, 4:54 PM
Still in the ATTWS rate plans is an unlimited mmode plan for $24.99. The ATTWS website says.. Unlimited refers only to usage on your device. Connection to another device or computer via cable, Bluetooth®, or infrared will be charged $.0001 per KB.

Can they really tell the difference?

Is anyone being charged over and above the unlimited mmode charge?
Rathrok

Apr 9, 2005, 4:12 PM
I think they can only tell if there is excessive bandwidth being used. Similar to how Vision is monitored by Sprint. I may be totally off base though.
speedywalk

Apr 11, 2005, 12:09 PM
Oh yes they can tell. They monitor the amount of data that has been used over a given span and also the IP addresses that have been accessed if the data is out of norm. If it is determined that a user is trying to use the unlimited mMode data package for tethering, they will apply the $24.99 toward the balance that is racked up using the $.001/kb method. I strongly advise against it!

Speedywalk
"It ain't broke, it just needs duct tape!"
nasdaq_guy

Apr 18, 2005, 6:50 PM
So if 100% of the traffic is encrypted and goes to the VPN at the office, what can they tell, other than I use it a lot?
speedywalk

Apr 21, 2005, 12:49 PM
Because they can still monitor the data stream. They may not be able to READ the data, but you're using their data portion of the cell infrastructure, you can bet they know exactly how much data you've used. Remember, the cell phone accesses the data streams different than the voice stream!

Speedywalk
"It ain't broke, it just needs duct tape!"
fonger10

Jun 1, 2005, 6:47 AM
Well; I download & upload pics via bluetooth. I pay 24.99 a month. And I never get charged any extra. I'm with Cingular. Been doing it for about 6 months now. 😎
KnifeySpooney

Jun 3, 2005, 4:46 PM
I don't think that's what they were talking about.

Transfering pics and stuff via a bluetooth connection is well within the normal scope of use. That data only goes between those two devices.

This thread seems more related to tethering your laptop to your phone to use the phone as a modem, to dial out for data access.
a99tandem

Jul 6, 2005, 11:16 AM
Migrate to Cingular. We offer unlimited GPRS for $19.99 and I've never had a customer cut off for "abuse." I use this method myself to connect to the web thru my s710 and laptop.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.