Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 29 replies

Early Termination Fees

wwehavok85

Oct 4, 2006, 12:49 AM
One of the things I hate the most about working CS is when customers decide to cancel their service (or have it involuntarily disconnected) and either demand that the ETFs be waive or state that they are NOT going to pay it. 😕

When you start cellular service with ANY cellular company, you sign a contract. This contract ALWAYS states the if the service is disconnected before the contract is fulfilled, you agree to pay an early termination fee. Also, ALL service providers add a line in the contract that YOU sign that says something along the lines of "WE (service provider) do NOT guarantee service in all areas all the time."

Cingular : There are gaps in service within the service areas shown on coverage maps, which, by their nature ...
(continues)
CrzyVZWChick

Oct 4, 2006, 9:10 AM
Um yeah its called Death...
CrzyVZWChick

Oct 4, 2006, 9:12 AM
Also... VZW knowing it has areas of non coverage will waive an ETF fee if you have moved outside of our normal coverage area... Military is another one where we will waive the fee... Its not the custy's fault they got stationed in Germany for 3 yrs ya know (and before anyone goes there I know from being prior military that you know something like this will happen in the long run)
mrraincoat

Oct 4, 2006, 10:56 AM
Military deployment, you can suspend or cancel service, discretion of the soldier in question.
krickt

Oct 4, 2006, 11:04 AM
I've had customers try to use the Military as an excuse to get out of a contract. The person deployed and his family if they go with him can terminate with no fees, but if his mother, on her own account wants to cancel using her son as her military excuse to get out of termination fees, it doesn't work. Or it shouldn't. I've had several customer try that one. However, customer Service does what they want. I can't ever tell what they are going to do from one customer to another.
captain crunch

Oct 4, 2006, 1:08 PM
I disagree if you move out of the area and your phone doesn't work what are suppose to do?
I recently got out of a contract with vrw because I moved out of there coverage area.I was on there extended network and therefore unreliably. And since my plan had no roaming they thought it was cheaper to let me cancel 2 lines with out the fee. Then 4000 min a month on another carriers towers.
ralph_on_me

Oct 4, 2006, 1:35 PM
a lot of carriers will do that now, but that's more of them cancelling your contract than you cancelling it.

There are plenty of other captains on this site. It's about time there was a captain crunch.
krickt

Oct 4, 2006, 1:39 PM
Reminds me of "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything"! That's how my mom's phone rings when I call her.
CrzyVZWChick

Oct 5, 2006, 3:44 PM
*breaks into song* We are the pirates who dont do anything, we just stay at home and lie around... and if you ask us to do anything we'll just tell you We dont do anything....
krickt

Oct 5, 2006, 3:53 PM
Yeah! Somebody knows it! We're supposed to sing about piratey things! I love VeggieTales. Have you heard RelientK's version.
CrzyVZWChick

Oct 6, 2006, 11:24 AM
No I havent... I have just about every Veggie Tales song out there... My daughter loves them!!! I miss the original easter bunny song!
krickt

Oct 6, 2006, 2:36 PM
We're not supposed to sing that song! I want it too. I'm a spinner (as in spinning wheel, making yarn) and I want to get an angora bunny for fiber production. I think the bunny song is funny! The bunny, the bunny, ooh, I love the bunny!
CrzyVZWChick

Oct 6, 2006, 3:56 PM
I didnt eat my steak just the bunny.... 🤣
krickt

Oct 6, 2006, 3:59 PM
I love that song!
Cymballistix86

Oct 5, 2006, 4:26 PM
Ok Skippy calm down for a second. I'm just as annoyed at ETF's as you, or at least, bothered by it. But lets play this out.

You buy a phone for what? Exactly. And then the service doesn't do what it's supposed to. Fair? Exactly. Because of that, you have to pay for 1-3 months service anyway(ETF)? Hmm...

Ok, if the customer is at fault for just being stupid, then yeah, don't waive the ETF. That's what they're there for. Changing your service just because? ETF. But if you move, and you have no service, then you're supposed to pay the ETF because you're not gonna let your phone contract dictate your life? Hmm...

I don't want any ETF waived for any customer. It's annoying, and inconvenient, and all in all, a loss for the company. But i...
(continues)
rwilliams

Oct 5, 2006, 4:32 PM
Two words: Trial Period. Whether it be 15 or 30 day trial, that's the time the customer should use to make sure that the service provided will suffice. And as far as moving goes, it sounds to me like it's the customer's fault that they didn't inform the rep that they planned to move within two years of signing. If they had done this, the rep could advise the customer of the low signal in that area. But they didn't so ETF remains!
Cymballistix86

Oct 5, 2006, 4:37 PM
And I'm supposed to be able to predict moving in the next TWO years? Can you really see that far into the future mate?
ralph_on_me

Oct 5, 2006, 4:49 PM
If you accept goods or any service at a discounted price for signing a contract, then you need to pay the ETF if you break that contract. If you accept goods or services at retail price then you wont be under a contract, and therefore no ETF.

That's across the board with any company that provides anything. Forever.

It's simple.
Cymballistix86

Oct 5, 2006, 4:52 PM
And ralph takes the medal for that arguement. Lol Fine, I'll start playing nice.
ralph_on_me

Oct 5, 2006, 5:04 PM
lol, thanks. I've got contracts for cable internet, and satelite tv too. I'm just used to dealing with them.
rwilliams

Oct 5, 2006, 6:47 PM
And that's the company's fault how? If it was that easy to break a contract, people would be yelling that excuse to the high heavens
frankiewawa

Oct 6, 2006, 2:29 PM
no you cant... i move honestly... at least every 2 years almost. although ive had verizon and i get cell service everywhere ive been... im ok but if i moved to a dead zone, ya that would suck.
captain crunch

Oct 5, 2006, 5:27 PM
I think the only time you should be able to have ETF waived is if you move out of the coverage area. What good is the phone if it dosen't work @ all. Every other contract out there will let you out of a contract if you move.
ralph_on_me

Oct 5, 2006, 5:29 PM
that's wrong. I can't get out of my lease if I decide to move. I can't get out of my satellite nor my cable internet without an ETF either.
krickt

Oct 6, 2006, 9:37 AM
Amen, brother, preach it to us sweet!
captain crunch

Oct 6, 2006, 10:43 AM
A lease is different. I have had media com and insight and never had a contract for internet. I sell satellite to and I have seen several customers get out of there satelitte contracts.
ralph_on_me

Oct 6, 2006, 10:47 AM
They're some pretty whiny customers then. I agreed to a discounted price on monthly service for signing a contract. I have no problem with paying an ETF to help that company recover the loss in services they would have if I choose to cancel early.
frankiewawa

Oct 6, 2006, 2:42 PM
well then you're one of the minority. cheers to you 😳
dirrty_d

Oct 5, 2006, 5:09 PM
I agree, the only reason it should be waived is if you move out of the service area or the reason you stated...
knn_dm

Oct 5, 2006, 7:16 PM
I think the only two times the ETF should be waived is if one, the customer dies while still in contract, or two if they're are military and get shipped out of the country. Otherwise pay the early termination fee. I make sure every single one of my customers know that service isn't guaranteed everywhere. They know what they're signing and no ETF except for the exception of 2 should be waived.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.