Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

WHY WOULD ANY ONE...cont.

-_SHARD_-

May 30, 2004, 6:00 PM
phonepimp said average Joe also wants simplicity and to know that everything works everywhere. That is easier to achieve on a TDMA>GSM platform move than it is on an AMPS>CDMA conversion. One of the biggest problems I hear from CDMA customers moving to GSM is that the roaming and loss of their capabilities in Analog locations is one of the main reasons they are switching. People like to know they can call M2M TO anywhere, FROM anywhere, on ANY GSM carriers network. They like knowing they can text. In many cases, this is simply not possible in analog mode. People like the handset selection and features they can get on a GSM platform.

CDMA is a great technology, but BOTH have their good and bad points."

To this I say, I think that too ...
(continues)
theDMan

May 30, 2004, 8:16 PM
-_SHARD_- said:
To this I say, I think that too much emphasis on the Carrier for providing phones that work every where, with all the systems avail and still up and running (even analog) why is it that the manufactures can't make a phone to take advantage of ALL the systems. Something that could work off analog, TDMA, CDMA, and GSM? Or is that just too impossible?

I think you pose an excellent question here with a multi faceted answer. The first point I will bring out here is cost. I'm sure that it's no big deal to make a phone with these capabilities but how many people would be willing to pay $500-$1000 for a phone. Not that many. Secondly, the size and aesthetics of the phone could be adversely affected...
(continues)
-_SHARD_-

May 30, 2004, 8:29 PM
theDMan said:
-_SHARD_- said:

I think you pose an excellent question here with a multi faceted answer. The first point I will bring out here is cost. I'm sure that it's no big deal to make a phone with these capabilities but how many people would be willing to pay $500-$1000 for a phone. Not that many. Secondly, the size and aesthetics of the phone could be adversely affected. Odds are that a phone with these capabilities might require an additional antenna or possibly more circuitry. Again, it doesn't make fiscal sense to build a phone that no one will buy. Finally, coming back to dollars and cents again, why would a manufacturer want to make one phone that does it all when they cou
(continues)
timslo

Jun 1, 2004, 7:12 PM
Great points. Cingular offers GAIT technology that operates on GSM, TDMA, and CDMA. But if you look at the phones, they suck. Granted they provide the best service, but it's as if though Nokia and Sony Ericsson designed phones they didn't want anybody to buy and it all goes along with making money. The phones I'm talking about, for anyone who doesn't know, are the Nokia 6340i and SE t62u. Look them up here and read the comments and you'll understand why there aren't very many phones that operate the way they do.
js4h

Jun 1, 2004, 7:17 PM
The GAIT phones do not work on CDMA, they work on AMPS, TDMA, and GSM.
timslo

Jun 2, 2004, 10:16 AM
My bad. ๐Ÿคญ They still aren't the greatest looking phones out there.
phonepimp3376

Jun 2, 2004, 10:51 AM
I will say this... the 6340i is one RUGGED phone... had a guy in here the other day... his wife ran hers over in her VW beetle... cracked display but functional. Didn't survive his Hummer, though...lol.
timslo

Jun 2, 2004, 12:03 PM
That's true. It's pretty tough. Thanks for the corrections everyone, I'm still learning the ins and outs of the industry. I know the differences between CDMA and TDMA, what is and who uses AMPS?
GWFOX

Jun 2, 2004, 12:42 PM
AMPS - Analog service

VZW uses analog service in areas where we do not have digital towers. In most cases our analog service is NOT roaming as most people think. Example: Northern Maine, Far northwestern New Hampshire and Central Louisianna.

Usually you find AMPS service in areas where no digital service can be installed.

AMPS is also used for roaming agreements on tri-mode phones. There is nothing wrong with AMPS (analog) except you tend not to have caller ID, voicemail notification, not as clear a sound and there is a HUGE drain on your wireless phone battery.
timslo

Jun 3, 2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info. ๐Ÿ˜
GWFOX

Jun 3, 2004, 12:11 PM
No problem Tim! Glad I could be of help.
-_SHARD_-

Jun 12, 2004, 1:53 AM
Also analog signals travel further with less power needed for the towers broad casting and reciving them, the only reason for the big drian on the bateries from the phones was older tech was as power effeciant as the newer stuff. They could make a more effeciant analog phone but why bother since its old tech that isin't widly used any more.
phonepimp3376

Jun 2, 2004, 10:47 AM
timslo -

one SMALL correction... TDMA, GSM and Analog(AMPS)... no CDMA
phonepimp3376

May 31, 2004, 12:12 PM
One problem...does the vendor REALLY want to go through all the headache of getting ALL the different little tweaks from ALL the different carriers that use those technologies. While it might be possible, all carriers use little improvements in the phones to make them work well on THEIR network, whether it be hardware or software based. The take inbto account all the different rural, regional and national carriers, and try to satisfy them all.

Lastly, what does that do to the carrier? Destroys competition, invites churn, and decreases revenue, since a phone of this type would be EXTREMELY expensive to produce, and the current wireless market would not support the cost without HUGE subsidies.
cyberpsionic

Apr 22, 2007, 8:42 PM
๐Ÿคจ ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
Foamy

Apr 23, 2007, 9:18 AM
What, the hell, is wrong with you? ๐Ÿคจ

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.