Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 24 replies

Ignorance at its best

ColdWhiteLight

Aug 10, 2005, 10:47 AM
You know sometimes I wonder where in the world some people get their education. Now I was not a straight A student and only did two years of college, but I have lived in America for the short 22 years of my life, so I know the history of this great nation. I work for Cellular South, and I think I had the validictorian (forgive the spelling, remember I wa/s not a A+ student) for the school of te ignorant call me yesterday. She called and told me she had just signed up for our 39.99 unlimited coverage plan. She wanted to know if it covered just a local area or the entire 52 STATES!!!!! I just lost it over the phone, I busted out laughing so hard I practicly cried. I told the lady "ma'm that plan only covers the local area and if you want to ca...
(continues)
repCB

Aug 10, 2005, 11:16 AM
You haven't heard? Canada and Mexico are included with the U.S. now, and Puerto Rico is on its way to becoming an official state.
USCC Agent

Aug 10, 2005, 11:19 AM
51st state is us virgin islands

52nd is iraq
repCB

Aug 10, 2005, 11:27 AM
53rd is football
madpuffcalm

Aug 12, 2005, 10:25 PM
and the 54th is Stoned
jerrydock

Aug 15, 2005, 2:37 PM
At SunCom we DO have a 52 state calling area. We include Puerto Rico and the U S Virgin Islands.
Jamie_Wolf

Aug 10, 2005, 11:42 AM
Shame on you for losing it over the phone.

That having been said however, WTF!?! Don't y'all know that there are 53 states?(if you don't get this, look for the thread that says so)
wr3stling4ng3l

Aug 10, 2005, 9:35 PM
ColdWhiteLight,
No matter how stupid the customer may be, they still are the reason you have a pay check. Customers may not always understand everything and may not always be the most intelligent person but they are still customers. By making fun of the customer on here, how do you think the customer would feel if they read it? Do you think it would be funny if someone made fun of your ignorance online and you found it? Do you realize how bad you make the company you work for look when you do not take the time to respect the customer who was on the other end of the phone? I don't think you completely understand how you make Cellular South look when you talk about the customers. Do you comprehend that you may make the company lose money or...
(continues)
ZombieJ

Aug 10, 2005, 9:50 PM
That argument is pretty tired man. I know it may seem like he shouldn't have said those things. But it's a free country and within limits he shouldn't have to censor himself in a public forum. Just like the customer has the right to be completely oblivious of her own countries geography he has the right to laugh at it, and more so type it on here to give us a taste.

Now if he was to post it in a forum sponsored by or in anyway affiliated with his employer it would seem in bad taste and a detriment to to company; But this is not the case.
wr3stling4ng3l

Aug 10, 2005, 10:23 PM
Free country or not.. Something he may want to consider if the company he works for finds this forum, it could be an ugly situation for him. When you work like I do knowing most policies for a company, if this were the company I work for, and we found it, he'd be fired for breech of confidentiality.

Something to think about when you're posting with your company names in it.
ZombieJ

Aug 10, 2005, 10:42 PM
True; However, I'm sure their are laws protecting his anonymity when posting in a public forum such as this. Unless he/she has or does come out and state his name I'm sure he's pretty safe, even then it's still a "he said she said" scenario and one party is just an anonymous handle. I could come out and say my name is Josh Jenkins, it isn't, but it easily could be. I will come out and say that it isn't professional though and agree that it's almost certainly breaching company policy.

It's harmless fun, it's an anonymous person point out another anonymous person's lack of geography knowledge, when names and faces are removed their is no harm. Plus as I pointed out before, we have no way of proving that this person: 1) Actually had that...
(continues)
ColdWhiteLight

Aug 11, 2005, 11:33 AM
Ok I think this definately got a little out of hand. Sorry for the person I affended. It's all in good humor. People have made fun of me for my stupidity before, it's nothing personal against that person I laughed at or anything. I did not laugh directly at her as I kind of put the phone away from where she could hear me. But anyway I am done defending myself. I'll try to take it a little easier, but remember if you say that to me, you need to say it to everyone.
dca

Aug 11, 2005, 12:31 PM
Quick! Ask him how many states there are...
lorna

Aug 12, 2005, 5:51 PM
Each one of us here could dream up a quick quiz to make any regular individual look like a moron if the presumption is that not knowing the answer equals lack of brains or education.

I remember all of the idiotic things I have said in my lifetime and just hope that no one presumed me to be a village idiot. 😁

Also, some people are brilliant handling arcane, esoteric information but are horses asses when it comes to social intercourse, just like some people cannot add 3 numbers in their head but are excellent when dealing with human beings. We are all one or the other in different circumstances, too, and we need each other to survive.

-Lorna
madpuffcalm

Aug 12, 2005, 10:31 PM
well in all reality that post wasnt much of a big deal. have you read the funniest things said by a customer in the lounge? shiiiiiiit. besides its not like he said "hey, so i had this dipshit customer (named this), she called with (wireless number) and didnt know there are only 50 states. she lives at (address). and by the way i work for cellular south, my name is (name) and i think that anybody who buys from cellular south are a bunch of inbreds."

course i DO it all the time.....and i never get in trouble 😉
ralph_on_me

Aug 13, 2005, 10:44 AM
I am a village idiot, but it's very entertaining for all involved so I like it that way. 😁
lorna

Aug 13, 2005, 11:06 AM
ralph_on_me said:
I am a village idiot, but it's very entertaining for all involved so I like it that way. 😁

.......... Lorna says ............................................. ...
Well, we may both be village idiots at times, but there is a definite streak of savant in you. 😉
Vox Dei

Aug 12, 2005, 2:53 PM
some company's national plans are starting to include Puerto Rico and US virgin islands.
USCC Agent

Aug 12, 2005, 7:32 PM
but they arent states 🙄 :end sarcasm
thespike66

Aug 13, 2005, 6:59 AM
weeeelll... I have to admit that a year ago i was actually sure that there was 52 states. But again, I'm French-Canadian. I'd be ready to bet a lot that most americain can't pinpoint Quebec on a map. Or they beleive we have a king or Overlord of some kind...

Not that I'm not working toward that goal...

-Frenchie-
themike314

Aug 14, 2005, 2:41 PM
Look at the flag. Count the stars. 1 star = 1 state.
Vox Dei

Aug 15, 2005, 5:08 PM
But the flag doesn't have any stars. Just a big leaf.
Nikoletta

Aug 17, 2005, 11:10 PM
Hey Spike, can I be one of your evil underlings when you take over Canada? That's the plan right? 😉
jackscrack

Aug 16, 2005, 8:50 PM
I think it was said above that there is another post like this? It is crazy that there is more than one person out there that thinks this. 🙄
elephantman

Aug 19, 2005, 3:04 PM
😲 What're you guys talking about? You mean there's only 50? I knew I should've finished the third grade!

~Typical person from West Virginia

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.