Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 25 replies

Giving notice

smazi

Nov 5, 2010, 12:42 PM
That's it. I'm giving notice. They're requiring mandetory overtime every day now and also I just found out they tax our bonus at 40% regardless of withholding. I can make minimum wage someplace else for a lot less hassle.
Amarantamin

Nov 5, 2010, 2:21 PM
Oh joy, we've been on MOT for a little over a month, and they have is scheduled through the end of November. They're talking about doing all of December too.

45 hour workweeks are way too much...
Johnny Blaze

Nov 8, 2010, 10:20 PM
Amarantamin said:
Oh joy, we've been on MOT for a little over a month, and they have is scheduled through the end of November. They're talking about doing all of December too.

45 hour workweeks are way too much...

So.....why do you just take it?? ๐Ÿ‘€

You got 3 choices in this situation, you can:

1. Get another job
2. Join the military or...
3. Blame everyone for your troubles and live off of society lol ๐Ÿ˜›

It doesnt hurt to think irrationally every once in a while. ๐Ÿคจ
Sigma1570

Nov 13, 2010, 1:38 PM
45 hours a week?? Cry me a freaking river. Quit whining or go get a new job.
dj89

Nov 13, 2010, 2:39 PM
What is the point of a forum if you can't whine?
justfinethanku

Nov 18, 2010, 4:37 PM
He's got a point though. I know a lot of people who would kill to have a 45 hour workweek.

most people sleep for 56 hours a week.
moeincb

Nov 5, 2010, 3:22 PM
if you decide to stay, and you usually get a tax refund (if you have dependants and qualify for EIC) file exempt next year. Pay sucks ABC (Agents Barely Compensated) might as well hang on to your $$ instead of giving it to the government.
smazi

Nov 6, 2010, 12:28 AM
I'm staying for now, but I'm seriously looking elsewhere. And if I get an offer that starts tomorrow, well I guess I'm giving real short notice. lol
CellStudent

Nov 9, 2010, 5:00 PM
If you were refunded 100% of your income tax last year, just file exempt now. Today. You can change you W-4 status every month if you want to. Just make sure to do your taxes the first week of February instead of the second week in April!

I engineer my tax situation every year to minimize paycheck withholding. One year I worked a ton of OT and it came back to bite me a little. I actually had to write Uncle Sam a check for $400 that year- but that's just pennies on an annual basis. Every other year it has worked out fine.

I compare that to some of my family and friends who get all excited over a $2000 "refund" for money they never should have put into the IRS anyway and, well...

They get excited about the big check from the IRS. ...
(continues)
Da_Bonehead

Nov 11, 2010, 12:52 PM
It confuses people when I tell them it is better to put that $2000 in a savings account thet earns interest instead for giving it to the IRS for a Year at no interest. People think I am crazy because I strive to not get a refund at the end of the year.
The 1

Nov 5, 2010, 3:42 PM
You can always donate everything over minumum wage to charity and not have to pay taxes on it! ๐Ÿ˜
PDArep

Nov 8, 2010, 11:42 PM
No MOT for us.. but we just found out we have to work on Thanksgiving โ˜น๏ธ Lame!!
Poking Pixie

Nov 9, 2010, 1:49 PM
That is LAME. ๐Ÿ™„ Who buys a phone on Thanksgiving? Black Friday is the real money maker.
PDArep

Nov 9, 2010, 5:21 PM
Im actually not in the Sales Dept, I wish I was though. Im a Tech care rep. :/ Though I am not sure there will be many calls.. I had to work on the 4th of July and we had like 45 min between. So more than likely it will be all people who dont speak english well, or celebrate Thanksgiving. So not only will I not be able to spend the day with my family.. But I will have to spend the day fighting to understand people so i can fix their broken phone which is almost always their fault. AWESOME!
dj89

Nov 9, 2010, 10:41 PM
You'd think people would actually want to spend time with their families during that time, but go figure...
Poking Pixie

Nov 11, 2010, 4:32 PM
I "accidentally" dropped my crappy phone in the gravy while I was carving the turkey, so now I want it replaced with an iPhone. ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿคฃ
dj89

Nov 11, 2010, 10:55 PM
Try going to your dealership after crashing your f-150 and asking for a 2011 model. Yeah...
vidiot76

Nov 12, 2010, 6:08 PM
You work at teletech!
This_Troper

Nov 12, 2010, 7:34 PM
SPOILER ALERT!
dj89

Nov 12, 2010, 9:09 PM
Who works at teletech
This_Troper

Nov 12, 2010, 9:12 PM
You do, Zefram. About twenty years from now.
dj89

Nov 13, 2010, 9:26 AM
God help me...
Poking Pixie

Nov 16, 2010, 2:21 PM
was that a Star Trek reference?
llama

Nov 9, 2010, 4:45 PM
Um, you want a job, but you don't want to work?

About the taxation, do you vote? Talk to the legistatures about the tax situation.
smazi

Nov 10, 2010, 1:18 PM
What I really want is a different job. I'm unhappy with this one. Most everyone I work with is looking for new jobs. I've just received the impetus that got me serious about looking. Inertia is strong and job searches aren't easy. [shrug] This thread was just my first reaction, the whine of indignation. It's subsequent actions that count.

As far as taxes go, I'll admit to being intimidated since a poorly informed acquaintance once advised me to change my withholding in a way that resulted in my owing the IRS a couple grand. I can't afford to make that kind of mistake again. Perhaps that could be finessed a bit ๐Ÿ™‚
Fredd

Nov 11, 2010, 11:45 AM
There is a big difference between withholding and final taxes.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.